Sheaf Market

Sheffield History

Thanks Lyn. That very well could be her. I have found her starting from age 13 in the Workhouse.

In 1881 at age 13 in Ecclesall Bierlow in the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse 1

In 1891 at age 22 in Brightside Bierlow in the Sheffield Union Workhouse (son William listed with her).

In 1901 at age 34 in Brightside Bierlow in the Workhouse.

What is the difference between Ecclesall and Brightside since first one shows Ecclesall for her?  

On 11/03/2019 at 19:15, 30mmavenger said:

What is the difference between Ecclesall and Brightside since first one shows Ecclesall for her?  

Hello, 30mmavenger, I have been following this with interest, I wonder could she have gone to Brightside because of the child, a couple of links here that may be of interest, one seems to say that Brightside was used for children after 1837 and there are references to Union Workhouse Schools, Rock Street, Brightside Bierlow - ie. 1881 Kelly's Directory.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/EcclesallBierlow/

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

• Like 1

Dawn - There were two Union Workhouses in Sheffield and depending where you lived, this decided which one you came under whether for 'in' or 'out relief'. Some areas came under Ecclesall Bierlow and some under Brightside. Fir Vale Workhouse, or Sheffield Union Workhouse came under Brightside but didn't open until 1881 officially. Both Workhouses took in children too but by 1894 Fir Vale had the Children's Homes built to separate children from the Workhouse inmates. Normally children would stay with the mother until 3 yrs of age before moving into the homes. It  may be that Mary came out of the first workhouse to work somewhere but when she needed help again came under the Fir Vale Workhouse/Brightside area. This research guide may help. -

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/research/Workhouses Study Guide v1-3.pdf

• Like 1

Sheffield Poor Law Union was officially declared on 30th June 1837. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 11 in number, representing its 3 constituent townships as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):

West Riding: Attercliffe-cum-Darnall (2), Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield (8).

The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 71,720 — Attercliffe-cum-Darnall (3,741), Brightside Bierlow (8,968), and Sheffield (59,011). The average annual poor-rate expenditure for the period 1834-6 had been £13,599 or 3s.10d. per head of the population.

The new Sheffield Union decided to continue using the Kelham Street workhouse and also retained the Brightside workhouse which was used for the accommodation of children.

The Kelham Street workhouse was enlarged in 1843 at a cost of £6,000. However, the building increasingly suffered from overcrowding, and also had no provision for caring for the sick. In 1855, the Sheffield Board of Guardians were visited by the Poor Law Inspector for the district, Mr Farnham, who strongly encouraged them to build a new workhouse. The following year, the Board set about buying land for a new building. However, the local ratepayers were strongly opposed to the scheme and in 1856 and 1857 voted out the old members of the Board. In the end, £6,000 was spent on alterations at Kelham Street. In 1874, the Board proposed buying additional land at Kelham Street to expand the workhouse site. However, the Local Government Board vetoed this and instead a green-field site at Fir Vale was found on which to erect a new workhouse.

• Like 1

Many thanks Bogginspro - I was trying hard to stick more to the time period Dawn is working in so as not to confuse her especially as she lives in Canada so our Poor Law system is a mystery. Hence me sticking  to the Ecclesall Union and Brightside (Fir Vale) Union. When the Workhouse was built at Fir Vale it was well away from the sights, sounds and smells of the town!  

• Like 1

Many thanks to you for helping in describing the different workhouses. The children, as I understand, were placed in cottages with a 'house mother' so-to-speak. Knowing how long my grandpa and his 2 siblings were there makes me sad to know they likely had no bond with their own mother, even if they did spend the first couple years with her from birth. 

As for addresses, could you help me in knowing what the addresses where Mary Ann is listed when the 3 children were born means. Is it addresses within the workhouse grounds? or is a place she was working at, outside of the workhouse? 

The birth register of the 3 children, shows all born Workhouse, Pitsmoor. Is Pitsmoor yet another Workhouse? All 3 show a line drawn through were the Dad's name should be, that is a huge brick wall :( Guess I am wondering if I am missing any clues from this.

On a good note... I mailed out my Ancestry DNA kit today... yeah!!! 

birth register all 3.jpg

Dawn, it is the Fir Vale/Sheffield Union Workhouse where she had the children often referred to as Pitsmoor WH. The UD stands for Urban District. 

As there are other addresses where she was living then she would have gone into the Workhouse to give birth to the children having worked as long as she could.  

Jericho St http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u00650&pos=10&action=zoom&id=36079 when you get an address with something like 2  ct - the ct means it is a back to back house. One family lived in the front of the house and another in the back. Toilet facilities were generally called middens and served several families living in the courts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-to-back_house

Princess St http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01041&pos=10&action=zoom&id=36407

Upper Allen St http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u00691&pos=50&action=zoom&id=36106 

All poor areas. More photos on http://picturesheffield.com/  

Found this on Ancestry - image.png.d899059ada829e735ffa128018a99bfc.png 

So father William Parker & mother Sarah Coley (? Cowley or Curley) St Marie is a Catholic Church 

1871 census Garden St looks like the likely family - very much an area where Irish Catholics moved into with St Vincent's Catholic Church nearby.Taken a 2nd look Dawn and I would say scrub this census it is the same family Edmund found........... I'll keep looking when I get chance.

Lyn 

1871 census  Parker.jpg

1 hour ago, Lyn 1 said:

Found this on Ancestry - image.png.d899059ada829e735ffa128018a99bfc.png 

So father William Parker & mother Sarah Coley (? Cowley or Curley) St Marie is a Catholic Church 

Discrepancy in supposed year born I think - think it should read 1866 

image.png.5c09293e962cdf504a6c4549520bf2f4.png

Dawn do you want to email me direct as we are getting very far away from the original topic Sheaf Street, raised at the beginning. I have found a widowed Sarah Caley in the 1871 census aged 50 from County Clare in Ireland living in Hollis Croft - the same area, who may be the same person named on Mary Ann bpt record as godmother. This could be Sarah Coley/Curley/Cowley's mother but we may be moving too fast now.   John William's bpt seems to state father as being acatholic - ?non catholic.  31 Ellis St Ellison St. 

That would be good Lyn. Thanks to everyone who gave input to help me here. If my DNA comes back with Irish in me, I'd be quite surprised and would think of digging further into the Irish Parker family lead mentioned earlier, although I'm still leaning towards the Mary Ann Parker that was mentioned in those news paper clippings from Bailey Street. Again, many thanks!! 

6 hours ago, tozzin said:

From 1893  to 1895 Jarvis Milner held the licence of the Green Man at No 23 Broad Street.

Forgive me tozzin, but what does that mean - Green Man? 

8 hours ago, 30mmavenger said:

Forgive me tozzin, but what does that mean - Green Man? 

The Green Man was a Public House (Bar) and ‘held the licence’ means he was the publican or landlord.

1890 map of the area with The Green Man ️ 

F6427C1B-6707-4DD5-85D8-336BB1161F41.jpeg

I'm following this through with great interest because myself and my ancestors grew up in this area

and I had also had family members in the workhouse but now I'm a bit thrown off course , is the

Green Man something to do with your ancestors?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ukelele lady said:

I'm following this through with great interest because myself and my ancestors grew up in this area

and I had also had family members in the workhouse but now I'm a bit thrown off course , is the

Green Man something to do with your ancestors?

My grandfather (born and raised first 12 years of his life in the Workhouse), is found working as a drayman for the Milner family who I guess held a license for the Green Man. Have you ever checked the Sheffield Archives for record of your ancestor ukelele lady? Some kind person found some things on my relatives in the Guardian Minute Books held there. Wish those would get digitized and put online!! I do have mentions of some othres from the 20 or so pages I do have, if you want me to check for a name, let me know.

And thank you RLongden for the map and explanation.