The Walkley Electric Theatre

Guest tsavo

The Walkley Electric Theatre at No 28 Fulton Road, off Howard Hill, was opened as a cinema and variety house in March of 1911 and survived until 1916. The proprietors were L. Ellison and J.D.Bateson.

The address places it on the left hand side going down Fulton Rd from Howard Hill.

Could this large building be No 28? The roof seems to show it's been extended at some time.

Can anyone confirm this?

I seem to remember it as a billiard hall in the 40's. I can remember walking down the hill, and looking through the doors at the pool tables.

That's useful info, Jmdee, as it seems about right for an old small theatre. Thanks a lot. Will keep searching for confirmation.

I have no idea what this is !!! May be the building in the picture ?

City Limits Dancecentre

32 Fulton Road

Walkley

Sheffield

S6 3JN

Tel 0114 275 3525

Speciality: Ballroom, Latin

That-s the one Richard, thanks. Still need to know if it was ever a Billiard Hall though.

Worth an email enquiry, even with a modern revamp, they sometimes "retro" places, entrance halls etc, may be some information to be had - cost you nowt to ask.

Fulton Road 1948

28 PORTER HY. BUILDER

30 BELL LAWRENCE

COURT 2.

THE POPULAR BILLIARDS HALL ( THOS HOWE propr. )

42 WATSON FRANK BLADE EXAMINER

Hi

I think City Limits are relocating or have relocated to new premises on Penistone Road. If so it may be possible to get into the old building for a look around. If not you could always join a dance class!

Mark

I'd like to join, imagine 19 stone of balding Yorkshireman, former weight-lifter (Fizzical, Holme Lane, mid-80's) doing the Fandango - not a nice mental image lol

Hi

I think City Limits are relocating or have relocated to new premises on Penistone Road. If so it may be possible to get into the old building for a look around. If not you could always join a dance class!

Mark

Love the idea, with Richard as my Partner? Pity it's too far to come!

he hehe he he he