Neepsend

Guest loopysue

Anyone got a picture of Farfield Road with BOTH gasholders full --an evocative sight! I have seen several photographs which shown one gasholder up and the other one half way down. But it is many years since I saw one with them both full --and, of course, in recent years one of them has been removed. When I was a boy I had an aunt and uncle who lived on Farfield Road, and their back yard was overlooked by the top gasholder. There never seemed to be any light in their house, and they had to have the electric light on even in the middle of the day.

Picture Sheffield,

u01756 is about the nearest

Or this one I took c1980's

Anyone got a picture of Farfield Road with BOTH gasholders full --an evocative sight! I have seen several photographs which shown one gasholder up and the other one half way down. But it is many years since I saw one with them both full --and, of course, in recent years one of them has been removed. When I was a boy I had an aunt and uncle who lived on Farfield Road, and their back yard was overlooked by the top gasholder. There never seemed to be any light in their house, and they had to have the electric light on even in the middle of the day.

The one remaining gas holder was built in the 1950s when I was at Hillfoot county school. One of my friends lived at either 102 or 112 Farfield Road and when we called at his house in the morning all you could hear was the deafening sound of the rivets being hammered over. Does anyone remember the wooden cobbles on Waterford Road, and does anyone know why the tip on Sandbed Road was completely emptied in the late 1950s before Fieldhouse`s filled it up again.

The one remaining gas holder was built in the 1950s when I was at Hillfoot county school. One of my friends lived at either 102 or 112 Farfield Road and when we called at his house in the morning all you could hear was the deafening sound of the rivets being hammered over. Does anyone remember the wooden cobbles on Waterford Road, and does anyone know why the tip on Sandbed Road was completely emptied in the late 1950s before Fieldhouse`s filled it up again.

Barnes were at 102, Hague were at 112 next to Fieldhouse's,

Memory a bit shady, wasn't the tip made up mainly of clinker type material, probably had some value, as did the power station tip--breeze block material?

Barnes were at 102, Hague were at 112 next to Fieldhouse's,

Memory a bit shady, wasn't the tip made up mainly of clinker type material, probably had some value, as did the power station tip--breeze block material?

Yes, David Barnes at 102. Very popular was David, apart from him being a good friend his eldest sister had married a Yank after the war and was living in the States. While sweets etc were still rationed here there was always a good supply at 102 as Audrey would send a large package over every month. Regarding the tip, excavation was started at the corner of Sandbed Road/Club Mill Road around 1956 and what we thought was just muck was put on a conveyor belt that went into some sort of machine, this work continued for a few weeks then stopped. I started at Hillfoot in 1949, and on Club Mill Road I remember on the first bend after Sandbed Road there was a very old house that was completely surounded by that tip, it was still occupied though.Could that have been part of Old Park Lodge?

Yes, David Barnes at 102. Very popular was David, apart from him being a good friend his eldest sister had married a Yank after the war and was living in the States. While sweets etc were still rationed here there was always a good supply at 102 as Audrey would send a large package over every month. Regarding the tip, excavation was started at the corner of Sandbed Road/Club Mill Road around 1956 and what we thought was just muck was put on a conveyor belt that went into some sort of machine, this work continued for a few weeks then stopped. I started at Hillfoot in 1949, and on Club Mill Road I remember on the first bend after Sandbed Road there was a very old house that was completely surounded by that tip, it was still occupied though.Could that have been part of Old Park Lodge?

The house that was at the bottom of the tip was Old Park Lodge, Arthur Wood lived there according to kelly's dir.(as a kid he was known to us as Jack Wood), further along on the same side of Club Mill was Wilcockson's.

There's the picture on this thread with both gasholders up dated 18th Dec.

Siddall's had the Tavern some time in the sixties,

was a demolition man flattened quite a few areas in Sheffield.

Did you know the blond haired young lady that drove a demolition lorry around Pitsmoor in the late 50s ?

Did you know the blond haired young lady that drove a demolition lorry around Pitsmoor in the late 50s ?

Aaron White's daughters used to drive the lorries, do you have a first name for her.

Aaron White's daughters used to drive the lorries, do you have a first name for her.
Never knew her name but she could certainly handle that Thames Trader she drove. Around that time James Childs were quarrying opposite the bowling green on Parkwood with a newish fleet of Dodge`s or Leyland`s, Sir Robert McAlpine`s AEC Mammoth Major`s

were up and down Cookes Wood Road seven days a week, Bonsall`s I think still had their ex WD Chevys and a couple of Reo`s. and Peter Slater was passing everything on the road with his eight wheeler coal wagons, or was that a bit later?

She was known to us as Aggie White. When the houses at the top of Andover Street were knocked down byWhites, we spent weeks cleaning bricks there for our scout hut that we were building on Holtwood Road. The Whites yard was on Abbeyfield Road next to Holtwood Road. Aggie used to deliver the bricks for our hut for free. Very nice lady.

She was known to us as Aggie White. When the houses at the top of Andover Street were knocked down byWhites, we spent weeks cleaning bricks there for our scout hut that we were building on Holtwood Road. The Whites yard was on Abbeyfield Road next to Holtwood Road. Aggie used to deliver the bricks for our hut for free. Very nice lady.

There was Aggie and Madge used to drive and Dollie , not too sure if Dollie drove but she could have been the blonde one.

These pictures of Neepsend are more from the early 1980s rather than the 1800s but they're still worth a look.

I am not really that familiar with this area but are these any good?

Taken in December 1974 along with a lot of other pictures of the City I have in other threads these show the Neepsend gasometers and Sheffield Rolling Mills viewed from Langsett Road. The pictures bear some resemblance to one of Ukelele Lady's pictures. One of these shots has also been used in the Then & Now topic to show that SRM has gone along with many other of our steel works.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

There's the picture on this thread with both gasholders up dated 18th Dec.

It's not quite what I was looking for.

Here is an illustration that shows the view of the gasholders I was seeking --except this is a pix done after the other gasholder had been demolished. I feel sure that someone has a pix taken from this view in, say, the 1950s.

Some cousins of mine lived at Farfield Road...99 I think, but it was a long time ago.

Here is an illustration that shows the view of the gasholders I was seeking --except this is a pix done after the other gasholder had been demolished. I feel sure that someone has a pix taken from this view in, say, the 1950s.

Some cousins of mine lived at Farfield Road...99 I think, but it was a long time ago.

There's one on Picture Sheffield that takes in the area,

http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk/cgi-bin/...jpgh/u01756.jpg

There was Thomas OATES AT 99 fARFIELD 1948

95 OATES HAROLD

97 YARNELL WILLIAM

99 OATES THOMAS

101 BOALER WALTER

103 STEEL CHARLES

105 TRIPPETT MRS HILDA

Nice work Old Canny Street Kid.

This looks like one of your own original pieces of artwork as it is similar to the one in skeets "do you like this picture? thread containing members own artwork.

The location is instantly recognisable to anyone who knows Sheffield.

I hope you are going to be posting more pictures like this in the future.

Sorry my pictures are not quite what you were looking for but it was worth a try anyway.