Neepsend

Guest loopysue

Guest loopysue

Are there any pictures from the Neepsend area anywhere? I beleive it used to be a really popular community around there at one time.

My 3rd Great grandfather was the licencee of 'The Ball inn' 84 Green Lane from 1871 to 1901 at least.

'The Ball' is once again a public house, now a restaurant and wine bar now called 'Milestone' We would love to see pics of it if any still exist from around that time? Can anyone help?

This will be him then, from 1881 Census

ARMSTRONG William M 54 M Head Baraney, Lincoln, England Publican 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

ARMSTRONG Elizabeth F 48 M Wife Goulsby, Lincoln, England Wife 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

ARMSTRONG Harry M 18 U Son Bucknall, Lincoln, England Leather Worker (...) 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

ARMSTRONG Lucy F 16 U Daur Bucknall, Lincoln, England Leather Worker (...) 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

ARMSTRONG Florence F 10 Daur Bucknall, Lincoln, England Leather Worker (...) 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

NICHOLSON A. E. F 17 U Servant Greenhill, Derby, England Domestic Servant 84 Green lane ("Ball Inn") Sheffield

Sorry Loopysue, just noticed you wanted a much earlier picture. (hangs head. stands in corner and vows to do better!)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I thought it was rather good myself, right building. I thought we had a great team-thingie going here, don't wimp out on me, a great post.

Well i find the family in Bucknall 1861,

have been in the building many times when it was Coates and Wilkinson,

and then Sheffield Paints, but cant find an old pic of the place.

Guest loopysue

Thanks to you all, I think we'll have to have a meal in the new pub thats in its place, Never know, there might be some old pics of the place in the pub itself?

I have the Armstrong family residing at 'The Ball' from 1871 - 1901 at least.

Hi

I have been in the Milestone recently and there is a MASSIVE picture of the building on the wall in the upstairs restaurant, but not sure when the picture was taken. by the way the food was excellent.

Sando

Guest loopysue

Just looked at the site that neddy gave me a link to regarding William Armstrongs death at 'The Ball',

What an amazing coincidence I have found, The death registered under my William Armstrong is also a William Armstrong, this one died at 32 Stafford road in 1889, This is the address that my aunt & uncle lived at for almost 30 years until recently! made my hair stand on end for a minute!

Does anyone know why people were buried on un-consecrated ground by the way?

Hi

I was listening to radio sheffield at lunchtime today, it featured a local historian talking about pub names, he stated that in pub name terms Ball is a derivitive of Bowl, and I think he said that a bowl was a type of furnace that was built on a slope that faced the westerly winds, the hill behind the old Ball inn at Neepsend would fit the bill, as would the Bollhills and the Ball in at Crookes.

Mark

Just looked at the site that neddy gave me a link to regarding William Armstrongs death at 'The Ball',

What an amazing coincidence I have found, The death registered under my William Armstrong is also a William Armstrong, this one died at 32 Stafford road in 1889, This is the address that my aunt & uncle lived at for almost 30 years until recently! made my hair stand on end for a minute!

Does anyone know why people were buried on un-consecrated ground by the way?

Usually the burial of a person who committed suicide or an executed person.

Usually the burial of a person who committed suicide or an executed person.

Hi all - bit late in replying, only just discovered this site, but unconcecrated burials also apply to dissenters or non Anglican church folk. I think that burials for example in the General Cemetery were all unconsecrated, as its not a church burial ground, but at some point 'the authorities' decided that paupers and the like, that they had to paid to be buried, couldn't be buried in unconcecrated ground. This cemetery was split so now has uncon and concecrated parts - although apparently according to gencem vounteers it wasnt always strictly adhered to.

The big cemeteries were needed as the population grew and church burial grounds couldn't cope but also because of people who had no religious affiliation wanting to be buried in a non religious place.

www.gencem.org - excellent site and worth a look up for burials - visits at open days are good too and the volunteers are very knowledgable.

Hope that's useful to someone.

Gill

Are there any pictures from the Neepsend area anywhere? I beleive it used to be a really popular community around there at one time.

My 3rd Great grandfather was the licencee of 'The Ball inn' 84 Green Lane from 1871 to 1901 at least.

'The Ball' is once again a public house, now a restaurant and wine bar now called 'Milestone' We would love to see pics of it if any still exist from around that time? Can anyone help?

These pictures of Neepsend are more from the early 1980s rather than the 1800s but they're still worth a look.

These pictures of Neepsend are more from the early 1980s rather than the 1800s but they're still worth a look.

Are these taken from the Mushet works?

Yes Neddy they're taken from the rooftop of Mushet Tools.

Here's somemore. the one looking towards pitsmoor is slightly different from from the other

[i think the cars have moved alittle. ]

The one looking towards town with the Old Light Horseman on was taken May 1979.

The other two are looking towards Walkley/Hillsborough.

Yes Neddy they're taken from the rooftop of Mushet Tools.

Here's somemore. the one looking towards pitsmoor is slightly different from from the other

[i think the cars have moved alittle. ]

The one looking towards town with the Old Light Horseman on was taken May 1979.

The other two are looking towards Walkley/Hillsborough.

Nice pics, a couple on there for Richard B, The Don bottom of Bedford Street pic 3 and the Neepsend Tavern pic 4,

I was responsible for the empty areas in pic 3 :rolleyes:

Nice pics, a couple on there for Richard B, The Don bottom of Bedford Street pic 3 and the Neepsend Tavern pic 4,

I was responsible for the empty areas in pic 3 :rolleyes:

I knew I was wrong when I said the Light Horseman but I couldn't recall which pub it was.

Yes the Don I should have known, I use to live on the next street on from there.

My sister-in-law had the Neepsend Tavern in the sixties.

So are or was you a demolition man? "empty areas."

I knew I was wrong when I said the Light Horseman but I couldn't recall which pub it was.

Yes the Don I should have known, I use to live on the next street on from there.

My sister-in-law had the Neepsend Tavern in the sixties.

So are or was you a demolition man? "empty areas."

Siddall's had the Tavern some time in the sixties,

was a demolition man flattened quite a few areas in Sheffield.

Siddall's had the Tavern some time in the sixties,

was a demolition man flattened quite a few areas in Sheffield.

Did you flatten the bottom end of Montgomery Terrace Road where the mini bus/coach company is today?

That's where I use to live.

Did you flatten the bottom end of Montgomery Terrace Road where the mini bus/coach company is today?

That's where I use to live.

Bit hazy on how many we did on Montgomery, I can remember clearing the site between the Owl and the Don and my mate pushing some floor joists with the digger that had been left under the demolished (Weeds shop) through the wall of the Don, came out under the seating lol

Bit hazy on how many we did on Montgomery, I can remember clearing the site between the Owl and the Don and my mate pushing some floor joists with the digger that had been left under the demolished (Weeds shop) through the wall of the Don, came out under the seating lol

I think Weeds had a daughter called Kathleen.

We use to go to Weeds shop for a penneth of broken biscuits which we often found mice droppings in.

Happy Days lol

I think Weeds had a daughter called Kathleen.

We use to go to Weeds shop for a penneth of broken biscuits which we often found mice droppings in.

Happy Days lol

In the early 50s did Weeds have a shop on Rutland Road opposite Stones brewery? I think it was then taken over by Parrott`s who moved from a shop at the top of Pickering Rd. And yes, they were Happy Days.

In the early 50s did Weeds have a shop on Rutland Road opposite Stones brewery? I think it was then taken over by Parrott`s who moved from a shop at the top of Pickering Rd. And yes, they were Happy Days.

That would be right.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

That would be right.

Anyone got a picture of Farfield Road with BOTH gasholders full --an evocative sight! I have seen several photographs which shown one gasholder up and the other one half way down. But it is many years since I saw one with them both full --and, of course, in recent years one of them has been removed. When I was a boy I had an aunt and uncle who lived on Farfield Road, and their back yard was overlooked by the top gasholder. There never seemed to be any light in their house, and they had to have the electric light on even in the middle of the day.