The Lyceum Theatre

Sheffield History

An earlier shot taken early 1968 with the panto 'Robinson Crusoe' in residence starring Freddie Frinton.The black and white photo is from 1964 when a regular visitor to the Lyceum - John Hanson - was appearing in 'Maid Of The Mountains'.

Four flyers for Lyceum pantomimes staged there during the 1960's.

1965-66 - Edmund Hockridge & Roy Hudd in 'The Sleeping Beauty

1966-67 - Dickie Valentine Cardew Robinson in 'Cinderella'

1967-68 - Freddie Frinton Derek Dene in 'Robinson Crusoe'

1968-69 - Vince Hill Frank Marlborough in 'wee pipe Whittington' (The last panto prior to closing in 1969)

1961 flyer for the Croft House Lyceum production of 'South Pacific' and the 1968 Lyceum production of 'Robert And Elizabeth'. (For this 1968 production, the society hired the sets & costumes used in the 1964 London Lyric Theatre production which starred Keith Michell,June Bronhill & John Clements. Sheffield actor Donald Wolfit took over from John Clements during the run)

A rather tranquil scene of Tudor Square with views of the Lyceum & Crucible Theatres through the trees. This was of course the site of the former Theatre Royal destroyed by fire in December 1935.

No idea as to the year,

but it looks as if the roof of the Lyceum was the only place Scram could leave his mark.

They appeared in the 1957-58 season pantomime 'Sleeping Beauty' with Ronnie Hilton.This panto was my first visit to the Lyceum.

I am looking at this painting right now as it hangs above my desk! It reminds me of very happy times. My father played in the orchestra pit at the Lyceum for over thirty years and I was the Production Assistant at the Crucible for seven years.

Guest brassneck

Does anyone remember when Tommy Cooper was at the Lyceum, I remember him running into the panelling at the side of the stage with a viking style horned hat on

I was told that somewhere on the picture on the safety curtain there is a mouse. I've never been able to spot it. Does anyone know whether it's true or just a tale?

I was told that somewhere on the picture on the safety curtain there is a mouse. I've never been able to spot it. Does anyone know whether it's true or just a tale?

This may answer your question.

Theatre rigging terms,

Curtains, safety or main etc.

MOUSE

Mouse

To wrap the end of a rope, cable or turnbuckle to prevent it from unwinding.

jiginc

This may answer your question.

Theatre rigging terms,

Curtains, safety or main etc.

MOUSE

Mouse

To wrap the end of a rope, cable or turnbuckle to prevent it from unwinding.

jiginc

Thanks for that, you learn something new every day! But I have been told there's a mouse in the picture, rather like the woodcarver who puts a mouse on all his work. However, from what you say it could well be chinese whispers!

I've enjoyed seeing the Lyceum photos. I worked there as a stage electrician from 1959 to 1967. I loved the job. The pay was 3/3 per hour ( 17p in new money) I would have paid them for the joy of the job. Has anyone a picture of the switchboards? Huge cranky old thing with heavy rheostats. Or the "limes" carbon arc follow spots run from mercury arc rectifiers?

Johnkc

Fascinating stories. The Lyceum is a beautiful Theatre these days and I am glad that Sheffielders had the sense to get it back to its former glory.

There are of course a number of small theatres that are trying to get their theatres back to their former glory including the Abbeydale Palace and the Lantern Theatre. I hope people will help them too.

Guest badwolf

Definately a mouse there. Next time you are in the building look above the letter A in the word "Safety" and the mouse is perched on the wall.

Definately a mouse there. Next time you are in the building look above the letter A in the word "Safety" and the mouse is perched on the wall.

Thanks badwolf, I'll have a good look next time I'm in!

Thanks for that, you learn something new every day! But I have been told there's a mouse in the picture, rather like the woodcarver who puts a mouse on all his work. However, from what you say it could well be chinese whispers!

Yes, there is a mouse. As I remember it is fairly low down and just to the left (stage right) of centre. I sometimes used to do schools tours of the Lyceum and crucible when I worked there.

Guest wobblybob

Was recently talking to my sister Jill and we both remember seeing Freddy Frinton in Robinson Crusoe in 1967. We were taken by my Nan and I was 10 and my sister 8.

Nice one Wobblybob and Welcome to the Site.

More "Wobbly" people needed he he and more memories of childhood shows/productions - scans of any old programmes/tickets with dates also most welcomed.

Thank you.

Was recently talking to my sister Jill and we both remember seeing Freddy Frinton in Robinson Crusoe in 1967. We were taken by my Nan and I was 10 and my sister 8.

My Grandmother was a regular at the Lyceum Theatre. She kept the theatre programs and we still have 42 of them, mostly the blue type. We also have some hand bills. I will scan the hand bills and post them shortly :)

Priceless HDude.

Well done that man.

(Or more to the point well done to your grandmother for keeping them) :)

And hello to you Wobblybob :)