Firth Park Grammar School...

Guest kubernaut

In my time the second year forms were identified by which Language they were studying...Russian, German, Spanish...or in the case of those with minimal language skills...Mechanical Science., Afterwards ,it seemed the forms were known by the abilities of its pupils. 3LA, etc ( in my case 3LC... apart from 3MS...the bottome lot...stuck up in the Tower next but one to the Prefects' Common Room and handy to our form master's (Mr Barnes ....better known as BODMAS) stock room. When deliveries of stock were being made our form , somehow,had the dubious pleasure of being impressed to carry them all the way up into the tower and the stock room... during which .a few  exercise books would, somehow, be "lost" on the way...as there was a"healthy" trade in them from pupils whose books were such a mess they hadn't been signed off  by a Master and were therefore expected to buy a replacement.....ours were always cheaper!

Ludus est Nobis!

Bonus o sodales

Quem decet semper

Colere atque amare

Hunc labos noster

Studiumque nostrum

Semper honestent

God. Those were the days. Anybody else still alive out there? 😁

That second verse appeared in an article in the booklet produced in 1996 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of Firth Park School .

Derick Mirfin provided both verses (the tune is believed to originate in that for a Scottish metrical psalm) the second being as follows:-

Sit tibi bene semper, lude noster;                                                                                                                                                                                   

Et tibi, Sheffield, bene sit per omne

Tempus, et vobis qui homines amare

Sit bene semper

2021 would have been the Centenary Year for the Brushes site.

I  really don't recall anything like that!....In the early/mid 50s it went something like:-

Quisque pro cunctus.( sung with a descant)

Facit ac laborat

Auxiliumque

( forgive the spelling...I only did Spanish ( badly)... with "Icky" Bown the "flying friar" as our Master)😉

My late uncle attended Firth Park Grammar from around 1948.  I have just discovered 4 "Firparnian" school magazines of his dated from 1948 to 1954.  If any one would like to have these for their memorabilia collection please let me know.  Free to a good home!

Sheffield Local Studies Library would probably welcome them....They already have a small number of copies of the "Firparnian".

My understanding was that all the memorabilia relating to the Brushes School was passed to the Firth Park Academy at Fircroft Avenue for safekeeping, but that was back in the 90's when the two premises operated in tandem. It would be reassuring to know that all the historical records are safe and secure in a central place; can someone confirm or update the current status?

I helped arrange a 50th reunion back in 2009 and I visited the library  where I examined their collection of the Firparnian.... I was trying to complete a list of names of members of our year as a set of registers seemed not to exist!

My uncle was Gordon William Foster and as near as I can estimate he passed his 11+ to Firth Park Grammar in 1947 or 48. 

I was at FPGS from 1961 to 1968 . Did anyone manage to copy the great photos on the now defunct website ? I was in Boris Haywoods form and can still read russian phonetically, it provides a great code for passwords! 
So many memories of great teachers, Spike, Mr Mayhew, Mr Clarke, Chas Holmes, Dr Eker ,Das Smith ,FT Wood, Mr Pallister, Jock Mackay and a few more notorious ones, Trevor Higginbottom, Mr Snook , Mr Wilson,  and an evil geography teacher I cant remember the name . phillips ?
amazing times.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 13:01, Richard D said:

My uncle was Gordon William Foster and as near as I can estimate he passed his 11+ to Firth Park Grammar in 1947 or 48. 

I knew a 'Bill' Forster from that era, could that have been your late uncle? 

Hi all

Just found this site. I was a pupil at Firth Park from 1965 to 1970, came from Hartley Brook Junior and infants after passing 11+.

My first year was 1Y and my House was Beatty

Good to meet you all 

Rob

On 20/03/2021 at 10:26, lysandernovo said:

We knew Dr Eker as " Joe Plug"....no idea how he achieved that nickname!

I believe it was because he looked like Plug from the Bash Street Kids

Rob

On 27/04/2021 at 19:53, Boggy M said:

Plug from the Bash Street Kids

Wikipedia (about the Bash Street Kid - I don't know about the teacher

Plug, whose real name is Percival Proudfoot Plugsley, is a lanky, gangling character with a large overbite, protruding ears, two buck teeth and a wide nose. On the cover of Plug his name is given as Percival Proudfoot Plugsey, although in some earlier strips he is named Claude. Plug's real name is only occasionally used in The Beano, such as in Singled Out when Teacher addresses him by his full name. He is originally known as Pug; according to The Beano, the "l" was added when Smiffy had one to spare after misspelling "silly".