Searching for Info

Guest fatboyslim

Guest fatboyslim

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction.

I am trying to find the history of my house which I will be shortly moving in to.

Does any one know where to start finding this info.

The house dates back to the mid 1800's and is half of a large house which was separated into 2 properties some time ago, I have heard stories that it was owned by a wealthy family in the past and it had a lot of land around it including tennis courts etc.

That is about as much as I know at the moment .

I would be grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks......Alan

Guest Genie602

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site and I am hoping .......

I would be grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks......Alan

Hello Alan,

Welcome to the site, I am sure that someone will be able to help you. Is the house in Sheffield?

Do you know the name of the family who used to own the house? That might be a good starting point.

So many people have helped me over the years, I would love to be able to help someone else.

Genie602

Guest fatboyslim

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

Yes the house is in Sheffield.

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the family.

The house is on Harrison Road at Malin Bridge. It is number 61 and is classed as a semi with no 59, the original main entrance prior to the house being split is on no 59 and it has a stone lintle with the house name of "Holme Lea"

Thanks...Alan

Guest coffee cup

It should give you details of all the previous occupants on the Land Registry form you will get from your Solicitor, that is assuming you are buying it and not renting.

Guest Genie602

Hi Alan,

The house seems to have been in the hands of the Birks family, on the 1901 census it was just listed as No 59 and occupied by Benjamin Birks and his family. I cannot find them on 1881 census and have no access to 1891 census.

Coffe cup is right, the Land Registry should give you more info.

I will watch this topic with interest.

Genie602

Alfred FIELDSEND 59 Harrison Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1893

Harry WOOD Manager 59 Harrison Road, Hillsborough White's 1919

Harry WOOD manager 59 Harrison Road, Hillsborough White's 1911

John HANSON manager 59 Harrison Road, Hillsborough Kelly's 1925

from http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/searchdir_main.html

no sign of a number 61

Harrison Road was named after Miss Eliza Harrison who owned a ten acre farm at Malin Bridge after her death in 1873 the land was sold as building land.

On the 1855 Sheffield map, there appears to be a large homestead? in the general area called Holme Hill/Mill/Villa but are we to assume 59 was built after then? There are two families of Fieldsends living at 59/61 so was this when the house was divided? Just ideas, hope they help with the search.

Harrison Road was named after Miss Eliza Harrison who owned a ten acre farm at Malin Bridge after her death in 1873 the land was sold as building land.

On the 1855 Sheffield map, there appears to be a large homestead? in the general area called Holme Hill/Mill/Villa but are we to assume 59 was built after then? There are two families of Fieldsends living at 59/61 so was this when the house was divided? Just ideas, hope they help with the search.

Sorry meant to say 2 families in the 1891 census lol

I am new to the site ....

We're all new because people like you keep asking questions, hope we have managed to help you with your research ...

oooohhhhh and Welcome to you :rolleyes:

Guest fatboyslim

Wow, just got home and checked the site, thanks for all of the responses there is certainly something to get my teeth into.... any further responses would be great.

thasnks again

Alan :)

Guest mega_monty

As well as looking at census returns you can always pop into the Local Studies section in the Central Library and look up on the Electrol Roll, this will give you all the previous occupiers of your property in question, I did this with my property starting with the last owner of whom I knew and managed to get back to the 1920's then back to 1880's using the census returns.