F.A.Wilkinson Photographic Studio

Guest adelphi

Guest adelphi

We have an old photo in our family of what I think is of my Gt.Gt.Grandmother

The studio where it was taken was F.W.Wilkinson which had (according to the caption underneath the photo)

studios in Halifax,Huddersfield, Sheffield & Birmingham.

Does anyone know from what years the Sheffield Studio took photos from & what address it traded from.

Francis Adorn WILKINSON Photographer 20 Fitzwilliam Street Kelly's 1893 (it is F. A Wilkinson on the photo)

Tried to clean the pic up a bit.

Just found this old thread. The photo I use as my avatar is also from the Wilkinson Studio. Here's a complete scan of it:

and this is the back of the photo (contrast enhanced to help with reading the writing):

As Richard said, the Wilkinson studio at 20 Fitzwilliam Street is in the 1893 directory. However, the same address was David Hun & Co. photographers in the 1881 directory, and John D Tyson, photographer in the 1901 directory, so that gives a 20 year maximum span for the date of these photos.

1891 Census return for 20 Fitzwilliam Street:

Jeremy

so that gives a 20 year maximum span for the date of these photo

Jeremy

Brilliant work Jeremy, to date a photo to within 20 years just from the studio it was taken at is pretty good going isn't it ;-)

I had wondered what the connection was between you and your avitar

Brilliant work Jeremy, to date a photo to within 20 years just from the studio it was taken at is pretty good going isn't it ;-)

For my photo I think I have narrowed it down to 6 years. The sitter died in 1893, and the 1887 Halifax directory lists someone else at the 12 Crossley Street address.

I had wondered what the connection was between you and your avitar

It's my GGGrandfather, Joseph Hallam (1827 - 1893).

Jeremy

For my photo I think I have narrowed it down to 6 years. The sitter died in 1893, and the 1887 Halifax directory lists someone else at the 12 Crossley Street address.

It's my GGGrandfather, Joseph Hallam (1827 - 1893).

Jeremy

Great, thought it was your GGGrandmother initially !

Needle manufacturer by any chance ? Mongoose hurdler ? Pie-prodder at some fictional Victorian Pie Emporium ?

Load of old ...

Something like that :)

Though, pedantically speaking, he was a cordwainer (makes shoes) rather than a cobbler (repairs shoes).

Jeremy

I spent a couple of hours this evening in the local studies library. Whilst browsing the directories I was able to narrow Wilkinson's arrival at 20 Fitzwilliam Street 10 1887/8. I think that Joseph Wilkinson was F.A. Wilkinson's father:

20 Fitzwilliam Street

1883—Hunn David & Co. photographers

1884—Hunn David & Co. photographers

1887—Peacock, R.K. photographer

1888—Wilkinson Jsph, photographer

Can I put a spanner into the works? The cards you are discussing are Cabinet Photographs. I think (?) these were pre-dated by Carte de Visite photographs. Just by sheer chance I bought this one recently and guess what? It's exactly the same address! I have no idea who Mr Geo Hodgson was or where he came from but it would certainly appear that 20 Fitzwilliam Street was a photography studio for a long time in Victorian Sheffield.

img226.jpg

img225.jpg

Fitzwiliam Street
14 marsh Jonathan, bootmaker
16 Greaves Wm. painter & decorator
18 Deakin Robert,  metalsrnith
20 Hodgson George, photographer
22 Longbottom Mrs Mary, dress & mantle maker
24 Goode Wm. teacher of music

20 Fitzwilliam Street
Tyson John D. photographer

20 Fitzwilliam Street
Wilkinson Francis  A. Photographer

Old Woman.jpg

My Gt Gt Grandmother taken by F A Wilkinson c 1890s. Very similar pose but holding a different book and sat in a more ornate chair.  

Eliza Rodger c 1890.jpg

Would anyone have a map of 20 Fitzwilliam Street? I'm fascinated by this and would love see how this street in Victorian Sheffield looked. 

Looking at the 1893 Kelly's directory, number 20 was on the right (west) side going south from the top of Fitzwilliam street about opposite the Devonshire Street junction. The Fitzwilliam Hotel was number 70 on the corner across Broomhall street.  I've attached an 1890 map, and a 1937 aerial photo with my guess of where number 20 was.  Once you know the approximate location, there are several photos on Picture Sheffield that show number 20 in the far distance through the Arch at the junction with Chester Street.

Kellys 1893 Directory.png

Fitzwilliam Street 1890.png

Fitzwilliam Street 1937 Aerial Photo.png

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Looking at the 1893 Kelly's directory, number 20 was on the right (west) side going south from the top of Fitzwilliam street about opposite the Devonshire Street junction. The Fitzwilliam Hotel was number 70 on the corner across Broomhall street.  I've attached an 1890 map, and a 1937 aerial photo with my guess of where number 20 was.  Once you know the approximate location, there are several photos on Picture Sheffield that show number 20 in the far distance through the Arch at the junction with Chester Street.

Kellys 1893 Directory.png

Fitzwilliam Street 1890.png

Fitzwilliam Street 1937 Aerial Photo.png

Thank you so much Edmund for your hard work, you have made my day. Were all the houses demolished in slum clearance or was it all bomb damage? So many questions! I apologise! It also gives the original poster of this thread an idea of where her ancestor walked all those years ago. Kind regards, Richard

35 minutes ago, Richard Turton said:

Thank you so much Edmund for your hard work, you have made my day. Were all the houses demolished in slum clearance or was it all bomb damage? So many questions! I apologise! It also gives the original poster of this thread an idea of where her ancestor walked all those years ago. Kind regards, Richard

22-32 were still standing in 1965, with a tantalising glimpse of a bit of 20 on the right, in this Picture Sheffield Image , so I guess it must have been slum clearance, although I do not know when.

In 1939 numbers 16-18-20 were a motor dealers (Freeman Oakes and Company) - possibly the square block building in the 1937 photo?

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 9 Sept 1939.png

On 12/5/2016 at 22:40, Edmund said:

In 1939 numbers 16-18-20 were a motor dealers (Freeman Oakes and Company) - possibly the square block building in the 1937 photo?

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 9 Sept 1939.png

I've looked in the Kelly's directory for 1925. Number 18-20 is listed as Ebenezer Stacey & Sons (Hodges Bros. Proprieters). Electroplating Manufacturers. This narrows it down a little more. Hopefully soon I will be getting the 1911 Directory and will look it up further.

Here's the entry for No 20 Fitzwilliam St in the 1911 Whites Directory, notice the occupant of No 16 and next door at No's 12 & 14 which became the Raven seems then it was just a Beerhouse. The other list headed FLA is from 1905.

Project1.png

Project5.png