Cricket at Bramall Lane

Guest carlie167

Guest carlie167

Can anyone remember the cricket match played under floodlights at Bramall Lane in September 1981. I was there but after all this time I cant remember the teams!! But I have found a photo that we took, pity we were sitting so far back!!

Great Photograph

Why did they stop cricket at Bramall Lane

Heres a poem to Happy Days

Willow time is here again, happy days and Bramall Lane,

With a packed-up lunch and a bottle of pop,

All day long on the Spion Kop.

Holmes and Sutcliffe stealing runs

As Lancashire bring on big guns,

MacDonald bowls his famed long hop

And Sutcliffe hooks him on the Kop.

Duckworth shouts so oft and loud

It's enough to burst that passing cloud.

Good old Yorkshire, your doing fine,

Thrashing County Palatine.

You've got the old foe by the nose

As the game draws to a close.

Victory is sweet as the clock nears seven;

I hope there's days like this in heaven.

From The Truant's Return; Jim Beever

Great Photograph

Why did they stop cricket at Bramall Lane

Heres a poem to Happy Days

Willow time is here again, happy days and Bramall Lane,

With a packed-up lunch and a bottle of pop,

All day long on the Spion Kop.

Holmes and Sutcliffe stealing runs

As Lancashire bring on big guns,

MacDonald bowls his famed long hop

And Sutcliffe hooks him on the Kop.

Duckworth shouts so oft and loud

It's enough to burst that passing cloud.

Good old Yorkshire, your doing fine,

Thrashing County Palatine.

You've got the old foe by the nose

As the game draws to a close.

Victory is sweet as the clock nears seven;

I hope there's days like this in heaven.

From The Truant's Return; Jim Beever

THe LAmbert & Butler Floodlit Trophy was held in 1981, and was apparently a financial disaster & was forgotten very quickly. Hence it is very difficult to find any information about it at all, and whether the game at Bramall Lane was in this trophy I do not know.

It is possible that details of the game might be in the appropriate Wisden Almanac, although as it was nnot a first class match it might not be featured.

The last first class cricket match at Bramall Lane was in August 1973. Presumably the people running Sheffield United wanted a four-sided football ground, and so built a stand on the site of the cricket pitch. This resulted in United having an enormous debt for some time and left Yorkshire CC with no proper cricket ground in Sheffield, Abbeydale Park being a rather poor substitute. A couple of articles about cricket at Bramall Lane can be seen here

http://www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/con...ory/152490.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/140272.html

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

THe LAmbert & Butler Floodlit Trophy was held in 1981, and was apparently a financial disaster & was forgotten very quickly. Hence it is very difficult to find any information about it at all, and whether the game at Bramall Lane was in this trophy I do not know.

It is possible that details of the game might be in the appropriate Wisden Almanac, although as it was nnot a first class match it might not be featured.

The last first class cricket match at Bramall Lane was in August 1973. Presumably the people running Sheffield United wanted a four-sided football ground, and so built a stand on the site of the cricket pitch. This resulted in United having an enormous debt for some time and left Yorkshire CC with no proper cricket ground in Sheffield, Abbeydale Park being a rather poor substitute. A couple of articles about cricket at Bramall Lane can be seen here

http://www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/con...ory/152490.html

http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/140272.html

The story of cricket at Bramall Lane is told in this book --it should be available in the Central Library and some branches.

Guest Sanderson1

If you would like to contact me regarding cricket and the history of local grounds in the Sheffield area, I am at present trying to provide information regarding local grounds from the early 1900s through to 1980s, my great uncle was a groundsman at several grounds over the years and would like to record the history and knowledge including Bramall Lane, the Surveyors ground, Davy United and Co-op Bellhouse Road.

I have also interesting information regarding soccer at Olive Grove the proposed site for Sheffield FC.

If you would like to contact me regarding cricket and the history of local grounds in the Sheffield area, I am at present trying to provide information regarding local grounds from the early 1900s through to 1980s, my great uncle was a groundsman at several grounds over the years and would like to record the history and knowledge including Bramall Lane, the Surveyors ground, Davy United and Co-op Bellhouse Road.

I have also interesting information regarding soccer at Olive Grove the proposed site for Sheffield FC.

Any such Sheffield-related sporting history would be most welcome Sanderson1 (and anyone else). Thank you.

Any such Sheffield-related sporting history would be most welcome Sanderson1 (and anyone else). Thank you.

Poor Quality photo taken during the final 15 minutes of play at Bramall Lane Yorks vs Lancs 7/8/1973

Yorkshire vs Lancashire 1963

Whose's that bloke slow timing at no6 for Yorkshire?

I remember the match well,Geoffrey's first century for Yorkshire.

He and Bryan Stott came together in the Saturday evening session,and were lucky to survive,playing and missing a lot.

I couldn't get till lunchtime on the Monday( Bank Holiday) and was surprised to find them still in,and in total command.

Little did I know that the young man in rimless glasses and with a shock of blond hair would go on to be a legend.

I saw his hundredth century as well.

I remember the match well,Geoffrey's first century for Yorkshire.

He and Bryan Stott came together in the Saturday evening session,and were lucky to survive,playing and missing a lot.

I couldn't get till lunchtime on the Monday( Bank Holiday) and was surprised to find them still in,and in total command.

Little did I know that the young man in rimless glasses and with a shock of blond hair would go on to be a legend.

I saw his hundredth century as well.

Many thanks for that memory! I'll get it on ebay asap!:)

Many thanks for that memory! I'll get it on ebay asap!:)

This old Utd programme shows a good drawing of the cricket ground.

Guest polarwombat

Can anyone remember the cricket match played under floodlights at Bramall Lane in September 1981. I was there but after all this time I cant remember the teams!! But I have found a photo that we took, pity we were sitting so far back!!

Yes, I remember it!! Went with my Dad. It was really different because floodlit cricket was totally new back then.

As I remember, it was 4 county teams playing on the night. Certainly Yorkshire and Derbyshire were there. I'm pretty sure Bob Taylor, Mike Hendrick and Colin Tunnicliffe were part of the Derbyshire team but can't remember much else. I want to say that Notts and Kent were the other teams, but don't know if I've made them up in a muddled memory!

Brilliant photo. Thanks for the memory!

Yes, I remember it!! Went with my Dad. It was really different because floodlit cricket was totally new back then.

As I remember, it was 4 county teams playing on the night. Certainly Yorkshire and Derbyshire were there. I'm pretty sure Bob Taylor, Mike Hendrick and Colin Tunnicliffe were part of the Derbyshire team but can't remember much else. I want to say that Notts and Kent were the other teams, but don't know if I've made them up in a muddled memory!

Brilliant photo. Thanks for the memory!

Welcome to SheffieldHistory PolarWombat, we hope to hear more from you; for now I've got to ask, do you need to wear an additional coat during the Winter ?

I was wondering if you had unearthed any old photos of Crickett Ground staff as my GT. Great Grandfather was a Cricket Ground Keeper and lived on Bramall Lane in the 1800's. I was wondering if the house came with the job. Great site by the way. Regards Teresa