100 year old roast ham.

Guest tsavo

Can anyone remember which butcher's shop in Sheffield had a very old joint hung in the shop? I remember seeing it some years ago, but can't remember where. Apparently, a customer ordered and paid for the ham, but never collected. The shop said they were obliged to keep it till he did.

Help me out here, please, it's driving me nuts trying to remember. :wacko::wacko: :wacko:

How well behaved am I....for not following the above post with a sarky comment about the age and quailty of the meat in Morrisions??

There were many of these, all unfortunately artificial, Fred Funks on Middlewood Road told such tales; and they have a 100+ year history in the district, Holme Lane etc.

I found some three week old meat in my fridge on my return from holiday, it was INTERESTING lol

70 year old Rump Steak hanging in Snapes butchers shop, Fitzalan Market. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s02984&pos=13&action=zoom&id=6594

On 28/08/2007 at 21:18, Guest tsavo said:

Can anyone remember which butcher's shop in Sheffield had a very old joint hung in the shop? I remember seeing it some years ago, but can't remember where. Apparently, a customer ordered and paid for the ham, but never collected. The shop said they were obliged to keep it till he did.

Help me out here, please, it's driving me nuts trying to remember. :wacko::wacko: :wacko:

Apologies tsavo I'm a few years too late with this one, but not as late as the customer who paid for it and never collected it. 

Are you sure it wasn’t the joint of beef that was hung in the castle market, someone paid for it one evening before going for a pint, word has it it was cheaper late afternoon as refrigeration wasn’t available, anyway, the chap forgot to cal back for it, so it was hung up for him, I saw it many times in the fifties and even then it was fifty years old and I’m sure it stayed on show until the castle market closed, it was in one of the butchers in the fish market.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2022 at 18:29, tozzin said:

Are you sure it wasn’t the joint of beef that was hung in the castle market, someone paid for it one evening before going for a pint, word has it it was cheaper late afternoon as refrigeration wasn’t available, anyway, the chap forgot to cal back for it, so it was hung up for him, I saw it many times in the fifties and even then it was fifty years old and I’m sure it stayed on show until the castle market closed, it was in one of the butchers in the fish market.

Thats the one i remember as well, hung in the shop in the corner, i always went to look at it when my dad tool me for a bowl of cockles and whelks further down, sixpence including vinigar!!!

It wasn't late afternoon as the butcher's stayed open as long as possible to sell as much meat as possible at possible a reduced price. 

Joint1930.png.f47daa73cc3f59e3e64e653f728c1695.png

"They are letting me take my joint" said Mr.A. Snape, a well known butcher, pointing to a hard, almost unrecognisable rump end, hanging on a hook in his stall, where it has been waiting "to be called for", for about a century.  "We regard it as our mascot, and could not possibly be without it, wherever we go" he added.  This joint, now as hard as iron, and almost black in colour, has been hanging in the shop for 94 years.

The joint was still at Snape's butchers, 26 Castle Hill Market in 1939. 

There was also a large shark at the Ingle Brothers fish and poultry stall in the Fitzalan Market for fifty years until the market's demolition in 1930.

• Like 1