Great shopkeepers

docmel

Just been commenting on another thead about Joe Whitehead - a newsagent on Addy Street when I lived there in the 60's - and what a brilliant bloke he was.

Made me think that when I was a kid, there were quite a few shopkeepers who were real characters. Some insulting, some really helpful, and some just strange or eccentric - or like Joe, just nice people.

So....anyone else have any memories of shopkeepers from way back?

'Pop' Meeson had a shop on Northfield Road, corner of Longfield Road, in Crookes. The whole place stank of cats and, as children, we were forbidden from buying any sweets from there. He sold mostly dried pet foods and, suprisingly, Walls ice cream. He also sold cigarettes in singles., with a match! I think they were called Domino's.

Guest coffee cup

Mr Lake and his wife had a very small general store on Worral Road (I believe it has now been turned into flats) it was in the same row of shops as the chip shop.

When we used to go in as kids for 2oz of midget gems, he always used to ask if I liked the black ones, "Yes I said with a big smile", needless to say there were an awful lot of black ones in my bag. He used to ask because some people didn't like them.

In the same row looking up from the Horse & Jockey Pub, there was Lakes, then Jubbs Butchers, then Allens Greengrocers, then Vauses Chip shop.

There is only the chip shop left, the green grocers is now a hairdressers, and the others are flats.

The row of shops you refer to were put out of action during the war, due I think to the Luftwaffe. Immediately after the war we used to play in the blown out shells. Only the chip shop survived intact and the flats above. The first shop was double fronted and re-opened as an electrical shop owned by a Mr Green. We used to buy a brilliant new invention called plastic coated electricians' wire and make bracelets from it. The shop next door was a butchers before it was damaged, and after the war it became a cobblers. The shop next door to the chippy became a greengrocers' and eventually a hairdressers. As you so rightly said, they are the only two that remain shops.

I remember a womens clothes shop in a row of shops on Middlewood rd. It was run by Mrs Shaw, i used to go to school with her son Chris. I remember buying my first work overall from her for my first job after leaving school, happy memories :unsure: :unsure:

I remember a womens clothes shop in a row of shops on Middlewood rd. It was run by Mrs Shaw, i used to go to school with her son Chris. I remember buying my first work overall from her for my first job after leaving school, happy memories :unsure::unsure:

Same side as Hillsborough Electrical, Minto Road ? or over the Road near the Umbrella takeaway ?

No that is too far down. I think they were at the bottom of Croften Avenue, before you get to gilders but on the opposite side going towards winn gardens. Next door there was a newspaper shop then a grocers, think it was called Drinkalls not sure if that is the correct spelling. They too are now flats i think. :blink: :blink:

John ?

of johns chippy on jordanthorpe shops 1970's/80's.

a great friendly bloke and maker of the worlds finest fish, chips and scraps in the WORLD.

I know everyones childhood local chippy was the best, but cheers john

if ever I find a time machine I'll be in the left hand queue around 1984'ish

A well known victorian writer? or Ash & Nephew.

ah ha neddy - you got there before me - I think we both know this guy - I went to school with him - if it is the guy I am thinking of.

I think my user name gives it away lol

Hiya Charlie - hope you are keeping well - many years have passed since we both knew each other - you may recall another 'beer off' further down Crookesmoor Road on the right just below Crookesmoor School - I was that grandson.

Guest Charlie Wag

Hiya Charlie - hope you are keeping well - many years have passed since we both knew each other - you may recall another 'beer off' further down Crookesmoor Road on the right just below Crookesmoor School - I was that grandson.

Hi Mate i can vaguely remember the shop but i think you are a little older than me :rolleyes: i am great with faces but shocking with names ?

Give us a clue .

Hi Mate i can vaguely remember the shop but i think you are a little older than me :rolleyes: i am great with faces but shocking with names ?

Give us a clue .

Cannot think of a clue mate so will come out with it....

Mark Melluish

....used to hang around with Alan Garton, Rod Taylor, Andrew Winkley, John Taylor and Tim Metcalfe

Guest Charlie Wag

Cannot think of a clue mate so will come out with it....

Mark Melluish

....used to hang around with Alan Garton, Rod Taylor, Andrew Winkley, John Taylor and Tim Metcalfe

Hey Mark

How you doing ?

Some names there i remember well .

Alan Garton and John Taylor especially , used to spend a lot of time round at Allan and Daves also played football and crickett with John Taylor as well as sinking the odd pint of Stones in the white Rails lol .

Hey Mark

How you doing ?

Some names there i remember well .

Alan Garton and John Taylor especially , used to spend a lot of time round at Allan and Daves also played football and crickett with John Taylor as well as sinking the odd pint of Stones in the white Rails lol .

Charlie - I hope you are ok too. David Garton rang me last year following a spell here - first time we had spoken in nearly fourty years!! He sounded great - still living in the same area. Last time I saw John Taylor was in the White hart on St Phillips Road, but that must be 30 years ago - I been left Sheffield nearly 25 years now

Guest Charlie Wag

Charlie - I hope you are ok too. David Garton rang me last year following a spell here - first time we had spoken in nearly fourty years!! He sounded great - still living in the same area. Last time I saw John Taylor was in the White hart on St Phillips Road, but that must be 30 years ago - I been left Sheffield nearly 25 years now

Havnt seen John for years now, used to bump into Dave and Allan at the Wednesday games but have not seen them for a while .

Where are you now ?

I live in the Dronfield area have done for over 20 years now , I sometimes drive down Crookesmoor rd on the way to the game , i know some people are still living in the same houses as when i left .

Havnt seen John for years now, used to bump into Dave and Allan at the Wednesday games but have not seen them for a while .

Where are you now ?

I live in the Dronfield area have done for over 20 years now , I sometimes drive down Crookesmoor rd on the way to the game , i know some people are still living in the same houses as when i left .

Charlie - I now live in the smallest county in England, Rutland. Been here since we moved from Sheffield 24 years ago - been a great place to bring up the girsl but now one's married and the other at Uni - my wife and I are'foot loose and fancy free' and will be considering our options for our silver years - one of which may be a move back 'oop north' - close to Sheff, but more than likely in the Peak District, we have got used to country living now!

I have been in contact with old mates from Myers Grove, but they are mainly Stannington based.

Guest Charlie Wag

Charlie - I now live in the smallest county in England, Rutland. Been here since we moved from Sheffield 24 years ago - been a great place to bring up the girsl but now one's married and the other at Uni - my wife and I are'foot loose and fancy free' and will be considering our options for our silver years - one of which may be a move back 'oop north' - close to Sheff, but more than likely in the Peak District, we have got used to country living now!

I have been in contact with old mates from Myers Grove, but they are mainly Stannington based.

Ah Rutland very nice part of the country , good to hear that your family are doing well , i married a girl from Stannington (2nd wife) and we lived up there for a short time on Oldfield rd her Mum still lives over there but we prefer this end of town . My brother is also over here ( Roy ) don't know if you remember him but he married (2nd) Ruth the daughter of the vicar at the Vestry i think it may have been after Father Bryan , I am going to tell him about this site , he will love it .

Guest nosy nellie

Does anyone remember a shop called Herberts on Hammond Hill,must have been late forties early fifties.

You could always go to the back door after he was shut,the main things I remember is the fly catchers hung up in the shop,and the boiled ham being wedged in a drawer whilst he cut it Also being sent by my aunt for 2 ounces of prem cut thin and two eggs.

Also on Hammond hill was a shop called Auntie Polly,s

There used to be an off licence at the end of Finchwell Rd Handsworth that used to be owned by a man we knew as Mr Mac. He had a dog like Lassie that wouldn't let anyone past into the shop back. It was nice as pie on the our side of the till but if you put your hand over the gate into the back it used to growl and show its teeth.

Great shop used to get penny mixes and my favourite Rancheros, bacon and bean flavour. Mmm :wub:

Not forgetting Bonds Handsworth, still there, the wonderful smell combination of ham being sliced and cheese. Mmm

Sue

Does anyone remember a shop called Herberts on Hammond Hill,must have been late forties early fifties.

You could always go to the back door after he was shut,the main things I remember is the fly catchers hung up in the shop,and the boiled ham being wedged in a drawer whilst he cut it Also being sent by my aunt for 2 ounces of prem cut thin and two eggs.

Also on Hammond hill was a shop called Auntie Polly,s

Are you talking about Hammond Hill near Martin Street, which was eventually covered over by the Ponderosa?

Guest nosy nellie

Yes the same .Hammond Street ran off St Philips Road towards a pub called Dirty Dicks (dont know the proper name) on the opposite corner was The Bellfield pub and two corner shops Massios and Mrs Taylors little sweet shop.

Going down Hammond Hill on the right hand side was Herberts shop and further down on the left was a chip shop and 2 houses further was auntie Polly.s shop.

Guest jossman

The womens clothing shop opposite the end of Dudley Rd. on Middlewood Rd. was called "Nells". Went in there many times with my Mother during the early 50's. Hope that helps.