Granelli's Sweet Shop

Sheffield History

GRANELLIS SWEET SHOP

66-68 Broad Street, Sheffield, S2 5TG - 0114 272 2981

INFO

This is quite a unique historical building. If you visited this legendary sweet shop in the 1970's as I did, and then visit it tomorrow you will find it absolutely unchanged.

It's like walking into a time machine and all the better for it. It's very rare these days to find somewhere that's unchanged in the heart of a city centre over time like Granellis is, and long may it continue here.

Home to famous sweets of the past as well as more modern day type confectionary - if you haven't paid it a visit now's the time to do so and enjoy Sheffield from years past.

TRIVIA

The slogan on the front of the shop used to say "Old fashioned spice at an old fashioned price!" It now says "Hey, let's stop... here's a REAL sweetie shop!"

PICTURES

photo's sourced from Evissa

Guest mackyD

My little lad was taken here only a couple of weeks ago for the first time by some friends he was out with. When he got home he was full of it! He said he had been in a 'real' sweet shop. When I asked him what he meant by 'real' sweet shop, he said 'you know, like they had in your days, with jars on shelves and old fashioned sweets and stuff! Like victorians had' Charming!!! Didn't think I was that old. :rolleyes:

Here's a picture I snapped the other day whilst stuck in traffic (as usual)

Sad to see the roller shutters over the doors and windows :(

A friends father used to drive a Granellis ice cream van in the long hot summers in the 1970s... often we would buy! a cidrex (sp) from hin outside Millhouses Park... we had plenty of choice of ice cream vans!

Anyone remember Rosetta Granelli?

Guest transit

Sad to see the roller shutters over the doors and windows :(

A friends father used to drive a Granellis ice cream van in the long hot summers in the 1970s... often we would buy! a cidrex (sp) from hin outside Millhouses Park... we had plenty of choice of ice cream vans!

Anyone remember Rosetta Granelli?

An amazing shop which has hardly changed in over 40+ years that i have known it , while all around has constantly altered.It has a large yard at the rear- through the arched doorway- where the vans are maintained and garaged. Rosetta Granelli is still working at the shop , and has an amazing memory for remembering names and faces from being customers , as kids! I think her son also works there , but her brother Peter died around 15 years ago. The roller shutters are a fairly recent addition and are just used overnight till re-opening (open 7 days). People still travel from miles around for a tub of Granellis ice cream , and a few bags of old fashioned sweets ! as they remember going there as kids . It is a Sheffield institution on a par with the Hendersons Relish building.

Thanks for the memories transit, are the stables where the ice cream was made still in place do you know?

Guest transit

Thanks for the memories transit, are the stables where the ice cream was made still in place do you know?

Yes , Grinderbloke everything "outback" is also still the same last time i peered through the doorway , and i am sure the building of the student flats opposite will provide more loyal customers to keep the place going for many years yet.

Student flats... I assume Frank Cobbs old building has been flattened then? Or is it being lovingly converted into designer student executive boxes ;) Ooozing with olde worde character?

Guest transit

Student flats... I assume Frank Cobbs old building has been flattened then? Or is it being lovingly converted into designer student executive boxes ;) Ooozing with olde worde character?

Quite right - guess what? - once again an historical building has been bulldozed -along with everything else up that side of Broad Street, right up to the Durham Ox pub (which itself is currently used as offices for the builders!) The area was used as a large car park for a couple of years and now building work has started in earnest with the steel fabrication going up within a month. Looks like they are going to look like the ones around Kelham Island , which seem to be springing up everywhere! I remember often going to Harry Clarkes chip shop (half way up) as a kid and know it was still there late 90"s.

This was a few weeks ago when I was stuck in traffic - got the camera out and snapped a few..

Guest transit

This was a few weeks ago when I was stuck in traffic - got the camera out and snapped a few..

Hi Admin - Skeletal steelwork is now already up just a little further up from your pictures (which can be seen off Parkway). Apparently the flats are built from "pods" which slot together between the steelwork, and come already fitted with doors/windows ect needing only minimum finishing when in place. This is probably why they are started and finished so quickly!

Thats' both amazing and scary !

It doesn't breed confidence in the construction but like you say explains how fast these buildings are appearing from start to finish

I'm surprised they've not been more proactive and rented the pods out before contstruction so you can move in, get used to your pod, then get delivered along with the pod and slotted into the building framework with you already inside it

lol

Quite right - guess what? - once again an historical building has been bulldozed -along with everything else up that side of Broad Street, right up to the Durham Ox pub (which itself is currently used as offices for the builders!) The area was used as a large car park for a couple of years and now building work has started in earnest with the steel fabrication going up within a month. Looks like they are going to look like the ones around Kelham Island , which seem to be springing up everywhere! I remember often going to Harry Clarkes chip shop (half way up) as a kid and know it was still there late 90"s.

Feels like I've been away from Sheffield for 50 yrs, not 20 or so.

I remember them extending The Parkway into town, that same area took a hit at that time, many railway tunnels got filled in.

Is that looking towards Blast Lane and the canal basin ?

The traffic there is so bad you could get out of your car, go browsing in the shop, talk to the shopkeeper, watch her weigh your sweets, pay for them and wander back to the car and still be in the same place in the queue to the roundabout

lol

Guest Rachy

Not when you use the short cut that doesn't mean you went through the bus gate on Duke Street wooooo

Guest transit

The traffic there is so bad you could get out of your car, go browsing in the shop, talk to the shopkeeper, watch her weigh your sweets, pay for them and wander back to the car and still be in the same place in the queue to the roundabout

lol

Thats another one of the reasons why its a miracle this shop has managed to stay open for so long ,even with the demolition of half of the Hyde Park flats , thats why i think the students custom - just across the road - will be most welcome for years to come ! If you had been going there for years, you would know to go either between rush-hours or better still ,on a lazy Sunday afternoon - oops secret slipped!

Guest transit

For amazing "work-in-progress" photos of this area try , www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=11294490 ,and scroll through the whle thread .Hope this helps!

For amazing "work-in-progress" photos of this area try , www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=11294490 ,and scroll through the whle thread .Hope this helps!

Thanks transit

shocking! I used to wait for a bus at the shelter outside Cobbs, now even the pavement has gone :(

Guest transit

Thanks transit

shocking! I used to wait for a bus at the shelter outside Cobbs, now even the pavement has gone :(

I also remember THAT bus stop -while waiting for a 92or93 bus after a night at Manor mw club- i once saw the athlete Seb Coe training- actually running round Park Square roundabout,- following a Range Rover with a large spotlight on the rear driven by his dad(and trainer)Peter .Must have been around 10.30pm , cause i used to catch the last bus. HIS dedication paid off - my dedication resulted in a beer-belly! Over a period of several months i often saw the odd p*sshead driving round the island the wrong way! Did you know that the underpass just below Granelli"s had also gone(around the time of Supertram flyover construction?)

I also remember THAT bus stop -while waiting for a 92or93 bus after a night at Manor mw club- i once saw the athlete Seb Coe training- actually running round Park Square roundabout,- following a Range Rover with a large spotlight on the rear driven by his dad(and trainer)Peter .Must have been around 10.30pm , cause i used to catch the last bus. HIS dedication paid off - my dedication resulted in a beer-belly! Over a period of several months i often saw the odd p*sshead driving round the island the wrong way! Did you know that the underpass just below Granelli"s had also gone(around the time of Supertram flyover construction?)

I was a regular on the 93, although if I missed it I could get the 92 and wobble from Manor Park Centre lol

Hehe I once saw Seb Coe on Midland station, think he was head back to university at Loughborough... I was heading to The Millmoor, Rotherham for some beer ;)

I didn't know the underpass had gone :( I must go for a walk around my old area at some point, I'm amazed how much Sheffield has changed in a fairly short period of time.