Granelli's Sweet Shop

Sheffield History

Granellis is the best.

I like the fact when I ask for a quater of whatever she dosn't say..."do you mean two hundred grams"

If I'm off I sometimes take my other half to work and on my way back to get her I'll pop in there and buy her a quater of Pontifract Cakes to cheer her up a little when she gets out of work.

Guest beck_teria

Hi! I am a journalism student at the University of Sheffield and I am writing a story about Granelli's Sweet Shop for my coursework and the student newspaper. I was wondering if anyone would help me with it. Please share with me:

1. How you found out about/who introduced you to Granelli's?

2. How often you buy sweets from Granelli's?

3. What are your favourite sweets from Granelli's?

4. Why you love Granelli's?

5. Describe your experience/feelings/impressions when you FIRST stepped into Granelli's.

6. Please leave your name, age and address because I have to use it for quotes in the article (For confidentiality purposes, you can email me at beck_teria@yahoo.com.sg)

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!

Guest annspam

Sad to see the roller shutters over the doors and windows :(

A friends father used to drive a Granellis ice cream van in the long hot summers in the 1970s... often we would buy! a cidrex (sp) from hin outside Millhouses Park... we had plenty of choice of ice cream vans!

Anyone remember Rosetta Granelli?

Hi, I have been looking into the history of the Granellis as I have found out that my great grandmother was Nacy Granellie, sister to Louise the founder of the ice cream

If anyone nows anything about them I would love to hear from you. I allways wonderd why icecream was my downfall now I know it must be in my blood. he he

Guest andyglavesy

Does anyone have any pictures of Broad Street? My family used to have a couple of shops on there in the 50's and 60's.

One was a green-grocers and the other was a newsagents.

My dad tells stories of dilivering papers round that area and he got married at St Johns in 1968.

I know my mum and dad had the top floor flat above the greengrocers. Aparently the building is still there (now Magic i think)

Does anyone have any pictures of Broad Street? My family used to have a couple of shops on there in the 50's and 60's.

My dad tells stories of dilivering papers round that area and he got married at St Johns in 1968.

I know my mum and dad had the top floor flat above the greengrocers. Aparently the building is still there (now Magic i think)

Welcome andyglavesy.

A not so clear one of Broad Street (1965) on here freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com

Guest transit

.....heres a picby Admin on the Broad Street thread. Majick is the red and white building........

hi i have been looking into the histery of the granells as i have found out that my greatgrand mother was nacy granellie sister to louise the founder of the ice cream if anyone nows anything about them i would love to hear from you. i allways wonderd why icecream was my downfall now i now must be in my blood.

he he

My own family connection to ice cream is through the Cuneo family (Founded 1864, Sheffields oldest ice cream company)

But hey, - Granelli's, Manfredi's, Cuneo's

Those migrant Italian ice cream families have given Sheffield a lot of history and a lot of ice cream over the years.

Guest andyglavesy

.....heres a picby Admin on the Broad Street thread. Majick is the red and white building........

The top to windows on the 3 story building was my mum and dad's room when they first got married in 1968. I can only assume that the shop below was one of the ones owned by my family.

GRANELLIS SWEET SHOP

66-68 Broad Street, Sheffield, S2 5TG - 0114 272 2981

INFO

This is quite a unique historical building. If you visited this legendary sweet shop in the 1970's as I did, and then visit it tomorrow you will find it absolutely unchanged.

It's like walking into a time machine and all the better for it. It's very rare these days to find somewhere that's unchanged in the heart of a city centre over time like Granellis is, and long may it continue here.

Home to famous sweets of the past as well as more modern day type confectionary - if you haven't paid it a visit now's the time to do so and enjoy Sheffield from years past.

TRIVIA

The slogan on the front of the shop used to say "Old fashioned spice at an old fashioned price!" It now says "Hey, let's stop... here's a REAL sweetie shop!"

PICTURES

photo's sourced from Evissa

I rememeber buying ice cream here 55yrs ago ! outside there was also a drinking bath for horses.

Noted (whilst looking for something completely different) this photo on Picture Sheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/zo...jpgh/s22047.jpg

The derelict shop on the far left is Granelli. As far as I can make out the Newmarket Hotel was further down Broad Street, so did Granelli's move up the road at some point, or did they have more than one outlet? Broad Street was an area of Sheffield I didn't know at all, so hopefully someone can add a few details.

Guest poppycat

Am i right in thinking granelli's had the cafe in sheaf market it was up some stairs my friend got a saturday job there but the manageress was really horrible to her. Below they had a stall selling biscuits. My mum always got our biscuits from there but it was always the broken one as they were cheaper.

Guest Italian nonna

Hi, I have been looking into the history of the Granellis as I have found out that my great grandmother was Nacy Granellie, sister to Louise the founder of the ice cream

If anyone nows anything about them I would love to hear from you. I allways wonderd why icecream was my downfall now I know it must be in my blood. he he

Hi annspam,

I am also searching the Granelli family, my grandma Maria Granelli was the sister of Rocco (Louis) and Angelo Granelli who all settled in Furnace Hill from 1881, they came from a village called Santa Maria Del Taro, south of Genoa.

I would love to hear from you

Guest Italian nonna

My own family connection to ice cream is through the Cuneo family (Founded 1864, Sheffields oldest ice cream company)

But hey, - Granelli's, Manfredi's, Cuneo's

Those migrant Italian ice cream families have given Sheffield a lot of history and a lot of ice cream over the years.

My family connection to ice cream is through the Rebori family based in Copper St and then College Road, Rotherham for many years. Maria nee Granelli was the sister to Rocco(Louis) and Angelo Granelli.

Whilst collecting info at the Archives on my family I also have much info on the many Italian families of the West Bar area, quite alot for your family so if you are interested please contact me.

I believe my family were good friends of yours, I remember spending holidays,as a little girl,in Blackpool at your relatives hotel/boarding house.

we used to call to granellis on the way to the park pictures in south street and buy little bottles of frozen orange .........happy days

Hi annspam,

I am also searching the Granelli family, my grandma Maria Granelli was the sister of Rocco (Louis) and Angelo Granelli who all settled in Furnace Hill from 1881, they came from a village called Santa Maria Del Taro, south of Genoa.

I'm not related, but interested in Granelli in Furnace Hill in 1881. I only find them in Leeds in 1881 and in 1891 thirtenn of the fifteen I can find are in Manchester, the other two in Leeds.

Many Thanks

Hi annspam,

Interesting Italian location.

My Cuneo relatives came from Cuneo in Piedmont in northwest Italy and left Italy for a new life in Britain from the nearest port which was Genoa (Cuneo is actually north of Genoa though rather than south).

Interesting then that 2 different Italian ice cream families started in the same area / region of Italy, both left for Britain at around the same time (late 19th century) and both settled in the same area of Sheffield carrying out very similar businesses.

My family connection to ice cream is through the Rebori family based in Copper St and then College Road, Rotherham for many years. Maria nee Granelli was the sister to Rocco(Louis) and Angelo Granelli.

Whilst collecting info at the Archives on my family I also have much info on the many Italian families of the West Bar area, quite alot for your family so if you are interested please contact me.

I believe my family were good friends of yours, I remember spending holidays,as a little girl,in Blackpool at your relatives hotel/boarding house.

Again my relatives in the Cuneo family lived in this area. As I understand it Louis Cuneo owned a business property on Copper Street but not connected with ice cream, I think it was more connected with gaming and gambling. Someone once told me it gets a mention in the book on the Sheffield gang wars but I don't have the book and have never actually checked this out.

Guest Italian nonna

Again my relatives in the Cuneo family lived in this area. As I understand it Louis Cuneo owned a business property on Copper Street but not connected with ice cream, I think it was more connected with gaming and gambling. Someone once told me it gets a mention in the book on the Sheffield gang wars but I don't have the book and have never actually checked this out.

Am I right with the info I have for Louis Cuneo married to Columbia nee Rocca. I have him as a Joiner in 1871in the household of Antonio Cassinelli 30, Smithfield,Organ grinder in 1881 at 42/44 Copper St, an Organ tuner in 1891 and Organ and Piano Repairer in 1901 at the same address. In the 20's he appears to be at 213, Gibralter St as a Confectioner and at 205 Gibralter St with a Billiard Room.

Andrew Cuneo and his wife Maria nee Garibaldi appear to have settled very early in Sheffield, Maria, their first child was born in 1853 in Sheffield.

Was Louis the brother of Andrew?

Am I right with the info I have for Louis Cuneo married to Columbia nee Rocca. I have him as a Joiner in 1871in the household of Antonio Cassinelli 30, Smithfield,Organ grinder in 1881 at 42/44 Copper St, an Organ tuner in 1891 and Organ and Piano Repairer in 1901 at the same address. In the 20's he appears to be at 213, Gibralter St as a Confectioner and at 205 Gibralter St with a Billiard Room.

Andrew Cuneo and his wife Maria nee Garibaldi appear to have settled very early in Sheffield, Maria, their first child was born in 1853 in Sheffield.

Was Louis the brother of Andrew?

Yes it's the right family, Louis wife was Columbia.

As this is not my direct family line, being related only through my uncle who is my mothers half brother I do not have that many datails and only a limited genealogy

I think several members of the same family left Italy at the same time, possibly in the 1850's

Cuneos ice cream vans always display "Sheffields Oldest Ice Cream Manufacturers" and "Established 1864", but my uncle once told me they were making ice cream before that, possibly since 1860 and that they only decided on the year 1864 because they could remember making ice cream at the time of the Sheffield flood.

Andrew could well have been Louises brother.

Interestingly, Cuneo's ice cream today is run by my cousin, also called Andrew Cuneo.