Bazaar Hotel

RichardB

John PRITCHARD vict, Bazaar Hotel and cutlery &c. founder South Street and 41 Carver Street White's 1833

Elizabeth PRITCHARD Vict. Bazaar Hotel South Street Pigot's 1841

Joseph BIRKS Vict. Bazaar Hotel 116 South Street White's 1852

Mrs Annie DOUTHWAITE Vict. Bazaar 114 & 116 South Street White's 1919

George DOUTHWAITE Vict. Bazaar 114 & 116 The Moor Kelly's 1925

1881 details

CROSSLAND Fredk. M 29 M Head Sheffield, York, England Sheet Roller Bazaar Hotel 134 & 136 South St Moor Ecclesall Bierlow

CROSSLAND Ann F 29 M Wife Sheffield, York, England Sheet Roller Bazaar Hotel 134 & 136 South St Moor Ecclesall Bierlow

CROSSLAND John M 4 m Son Sheffield, York, England Sheet Roller Bazaar Hotel 134 & 136 South St Moor Ecclesall Bierlow

• Like 1

Hi there Richard B, I just found this post you added in 2007. I know its a looong time ago, but do you know why you added it and anything about the people or the address please? I'm doing my family tree and Ann Crossland was Ann Toyne (or Tyne) until her marriage to Fred Crossland. They lived at the Bazaar Hotel at the 1881 Census. I've never heard of the Bazaar Hotel or where it is. My maiden name was Toyne too, she was my Gt Gt Gt Aunt If you have any info at all I'd really appreciate it if you could pass it on to me.ย Given the number of posts you have on here, I'm sure you have a fantastic memory ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„

ย Many thanks, Jackie D (Jacdaw)

On 05/03/2022 at 04:42, Jacdaw said:

Hi there Richard B, I just found this post you added in 2007. I know its a looong time ago, but do you know why you added it and anything about the people or the address please? I'm doing my family tree and Ann Crossland was Ann Toyne (or Tyne) until her marriage to Fred Crossland. They lived at the Bazaar Hotel at the 1881 Census. I've never heard of the Bazaar Hotel or where it is. My maiden name was Toyne too, she was my Gt Gt Gt Aunt If you have any info at all I'd really appreciate it if you could pass it on to me.ย Given the number of posts you have on here, I'm sure you have a fantastic memory ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„

Hi Jackie

I can confirm that Toyne is the correct surname according to this Marriage Certificate.

Sheffield 6A.JPG

Thanks for coming to my aid again Edmund and Syrup! You're all Sheffield Superheroes on this site! One day I hope to have sufficient knowledge to return the favour.ย โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜„

With your help I've found out that poor Ann died at 44ย  after bearing 4 children in 4 years, then another when she was 40. At which point Fred had already accquired another wife and moved on from the Bazaar Hotel to the Travellers Inn at 683 Attercliffe Common, where he stayed until he died in 1916. It was a hard life in those days.

• Like 1

Hello again, you trusty crew. I've found yet another 2 pub landlords in my family tree! This time it's John Tyne followed by Sarah Tyne at the Britannia Arms on Portobello Street. Does anyone have a photo of this pub please? Ive looked on the a-z of pubs but unfortunately couldnt find a photo> I thought my Dad was the only person in my family who ran a pub, but apparently there have been Toynes or Tynes (or Revills) in Whirlow Bridge Inn, Travellers Inn Attercliffe, Burgoyne Arms hillsborough, Florist Walkley, Freemasons Walkley Lane, Britannia, Bazaar Hotel, Foljambe Arms Rotherham....up to now๐Ÿคช

• Like 1

The Sheffield Iris of 20th June 1837 reported that several beer-house keepers had been summoned for having their houses open and suffering misconduct at a late hour on Saturday night. Mrs Tyne of Portobello-street was fined only costs.

On 15/03/2022 at 10:13, Edmund said:

The Sheffield Iris of 20th June 1837 reported that several beer-house keepers had been summoned for having their houses open and suffering misconduct at a late hour on Saturday night. Mrs Tyne of Portobello-street was fined only costs.

Most likely not connected but this was the day Queen Victoria's reign started.

• Like 1

Hey Edmund, Thanks so much for the info. Did it mention the name of the pub? Where do you all find these things? I need to learn๐Ÿ˜‚

The newspaper report didn't state the name of the beerhouse, but below are extracts from the 1822 Baines Directory and 1837 Whites Directory which show the Tynes running the Britannia.ย  Many directories are available free from Leicester university here:ย  Historical Directories

1606825542_Baines1822.png.9f5acf11cd5d0b91b1e396dabab58aae.png105326269_Whites1837.png.dfd8812b9c49265c88a72b52d0dfcd39.png

• Like 1

This is very intriguing, Mary Turton water caster, just whatโ€™s does a water caster do? Maybe lead shot?

I am doubtful if it is relevant in this case but aย  doctor / quack doctor who diagnosed illness by inspecting urine was referred to as a water caster / water-caster.

8 hours ago, boginspro said:

I am doubtful if it is relevant in this case but aย  doctor / quack doctor who diagnosed illness by inspecting urine was referred to as a water caster / water-caster.

Itโ€™s also strange sheโ€™s listed as โ€œ & Co โ€œ

I think the " & Co " was actually " &c. " = et cetera = etc.ย ย 

A water caster called Mr Turton was involved in the case of the murder of an illegitimate child by its mother in March 1850.ย  The 18 year old Maria Woodall who strangled her newborn child had consistently denied being pregnant. Her mother had not believed her, and had taken her to Turton the water caster, who had (wrongly) assured her that Maria was not pregnant but dropsical.ย  The pregnancy then went to term, with dreadful results.ย  The 1851 census shows Mordecai Turton (born 1818) living at Court 7 Leicester street and his occupation listed grandly as " The Caster". It's not clear if he was related to Mary Turton the water caster in Owlerton in 1822.

I understand that urine testing is still used as a test for pregnancy....

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

I think the " & Co " was actually " &c. " = et cetera = etc.ย ย 

A water caster called Mr Turton was involved in the case of the murder of an illegitimate child by its mother in March 1850.ย  The 18 year old Maria Woodall who strangled her newborn child had consistently denied being pregnant. Her mother had not believed her, and had taken her to Turton the water caster, who had (wrongly) assured her that Maria was not pregnant but dropsical.ย  The pregnancy then went to term, with dreadful results.ย  The 1851 census shows Mordecai Turton (born 1818) living at Court 7 Leicester street and his occupation listed grandly as " The Caster". It's not clear if he was related to Mary Turton the water caster in Owlerton in 1822.

I understand that urine testing is still used as a test for pregnancy....

That IS very interesting Edmund, thanks.

Guest leksand
On 05/03/2022 at 04:42, Jacdaw said:

There is a slight problem here because the stated address, 134&136, is not that of the public house generally known as the Bazaar Hotel, which at the date noted was trading by a different name (although had previously been known as & subsequently reverted to the name Bazaar). Whether another institution (unlicensed) took up the name in the interim or this is, perhaps, a case of erroneous overwriting on a census page (which is more common than you might think), or some other error, you may be better placed to ascertain than me.

You do see some migration of #136 South St, Moor in that era, it being used at different times for properties on either side of Thomas/Tudor St, though I think by 1881 it was probably fixed to the north as #134 tends more consistently to be. I don't know the provenance of any hotel based there as I have no record of its licensing. The property on the south side, however, commonly numbered 138&140 was a reasonably up-market grocer which seems to have gone on to become one of a chain of temperance cafes & hotels. This happened quite a few years after 1881 but it is quite conceivable non-sales rooms were prepared as lodgings or a temperence hotel at an earlier date, albeit probably not addressed as 134&136.

On 17/03/2022 at 10:02, Hopman said:

Most likely not connected but this was the day Queen Victoria's reign started.

It almost certainly was! Offences of that nature would quite commonly be dismissed on payment of costs when considered to be the consequence of major public celebration back in that era.

On 14/03/2022 at 20:44, Jacdaw said:

Hello again, you trusty crew. I've found yet another 2 pub landlords in my family tree! This time it's John Tyne followed by Sarah Tyne at the Britannia Arms on Portobello Street. Does anyone have a photo of this pub please? Ive looked on the a-z of pubs but unfortunately couldnt find a photo> I thought my Dad was the only person in my family who ran a pub, but apparently there have been Toynes or Tynes (or Revills) in Whirlow Bridge Inn, Travellers Inn Attercliffe, Burgoyne Arms hillsborough, Florist Walkley, Freemasons Walkley Lane, Britannia, Bazaar Hotel, Foljambe Arms Rotherham....up to now๐Ÿคช

Hi Again Everyone, Not been on here for a few months... its rubbish when life gets in the way of hobbies๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„ Just wondered if anyone had found any photos of of the Britannia Inn/Arms on Portobello Street please? Also (I'm sure I'm not on the right forum here, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for the origins of Sheffield street names, I 'd be very grateful) Thanks to you all and hope you're all keeping well, in the midst of all the doom and gloom๐ŸŒจ๏ธโ˜‚๏ธ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒž