Keystone Cops

RichardB

Roscoe was one of the original Keystone Cops, he was a big guy (like me) and had a great natural ability in what became known as Slapstick comedy. He was earning more than Chaplin in the early 1920's - the first "Superstar", he had further adventures in his life - which are well documented - he was eventually found not guilty, I believe...

anyway, I'm a fat bloke, I have no comedy-ability, but here's what happened today.

Popping out for a cigarette at work (well, I could have said popping out to have a "***" but I resisted), I tried to light the said cigarette, and failed, tried a further three times, failed to get a light - then the lighter decided on action, and I'm stood there with a small issue of smoke coming from what is left of my nostril-hair ....... strike one

Then I drive back from work, on the worst day for traffic problems in the UK calender, I left early, drove fast (100 miles per hour will get you a driving ban over here, mid-90's is OK) and made a good progress through the dreaded tunnel, I headed for the local Tesco store, TonyR may remember this is located where I worked many years ago before it became a Tesco store.

I shopped briefly, paid, and left the store.

Strangely the sun was shining (Sun ????), I was looking downwards to avoid the sun, I walked into a ladder attached to an estate-car (big car), there was even a warning flag attached to the end of the ladder, which I didn't see, because I was partially-blinded by the sun. My fault, but I reeled round in a Keystone Cops kinda way....

These thingies happen in threes, so I've been sat quietly ever since with a sore forehead.

Roscoe was one of the original Keystone Cops, he was a big guy (like me) and had a great natural ability in what became known as Slapstick comedy. He was earning more than Chaplin in the early 1920's - the first "Superstar", he had further adventures in his life - which are well documented - he was eventually found not guilty, I believe...

anyway, I'm a fat bloke, I have no comedy-ability, but here's what happened today.

The case was something to do with sex and an underage girl.

Roscoe may have been found not guilty but the case effectively put an end to his cinematic career as, innocent or not, after the case no film studio would employ him.

Something to do with "bad reputation" and "no smoke without fire", or even, was Roscoe "guilty into proven innocent"

Sounds to me like there was a definate set up plot and campaign to get rid of him.

The case was something to do with sex and an underage girl.

Roscoe may have been found not guilty but the case effectively put an end to his cinematic career as, innocent or not, after the case no film studio would employ him.

Something to do with "bad reputation" and "no smoke without fire", or even, was Roscoe "guilty into proven innocent"

Sounds to me like there was a definate set up plot and campaign to get rid of him.

That would be Veronica Rappe.

That would be Veronica Rappe.

Veronica Rappe :blink:

So was she rapped :unsure: , was it a rappe trial lol

Always thought it was spelt with a single p but never mind :P

Veronica Rappe

Tragedy struck on Labor Day, 1921 with the arrest and trial of Roscoe on manslaughter charges.

Roscoe's roommate had thrown a party in their suite which was crashed by a disreputable starlet

named Virginia Rappe who fell seriously ill and died a few days later. The papers, led by the Hearst

group, made this incident Hollywood's first truly major scandal. repeatedly making lurid claims,

in screaming headlines, that Arbuckle had sexually abused Rappé to death with (by various accounts)

a coke bottle, a milk bottle, a champagne bottle, and/or a chunk of ice. These factually unsupported

charges caused an incredibly hostile environment for holding a fair trial, despite overwhelming evidence

pointing to Arbuckle's innocence. Two hung juries resulted. The third jury saw sense and aquiitted Arbuckle

in only six minutes. But Roscoe's career was finished as the papers printed unfounded story after story

about his supposed guilt, causing a public outcry of moral outrage.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Sex_Scandals_of_Early_Hollywood

Veronica Rappe

Tragedy struck on Labor Day, 1921 with the arrest and trial of Roscoe on manslaughter charges.

Roscoe's roommate had thrown a party in their suite which was crashed by a disreputable starlet

named Virginia Rappe who fell seriously ill and died a few days later. The papers, led by the Hearst

group, made this incident Hollywood's first truly major scandal. repeatedly making lurid claims,

in screaming headlines, that Arbuckle had sexually abused Rappé to death with (by various accounts)

a coke bottle, a milk bottle, a champagne bottle, and/or a chunk of ice. These factually unsupported

charges caused an incredibly hostile environment for holding a fair trial, despite overwhelming evidence

pointing to Arbuckle's innocence. Two hung juries resulted. The third jury saw sense and aquiitted Arbuckle

in only six minutes. But Roscoe's career was finished as the papers printed unfounded story after story

about his supposed guilt, causing a public outcry of moral outrage.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Sex_Scandals_of_Early_Hollywood

I think Richard will be more interested in the previous picture to the one shown by syrup in the linked article rather than any unfounded tales of kinky sex.

This is Roscoe's (Fatty Arbuckle's) police mugshot after his arrest.

So does Richard look like Fatty Arbuckle? lol

Roscoe was one of the original Keystone Cops, he was a big guy (like me) and had a great natural ability in what became known as Slapstick comedy.

Slapstick involves a lot of falls and dangerous stunts.

It always looks funnier when it happens to a fat guy like Roscoe (Fatty Arbuckle) or Oliver Hardy.

Amazingly many of these performers from the silent era did their own stunts, often taking a big risk of being seriously injured or even killed.

The Keystone Cops involved a lot of high speed chasing and falling about and "near miss" collisions.

Arbuckle did all this and survived.

There was even a camera company which made 16mm and 8mm silent movie cameras called "Keystone" as the extremely popular "Keystone Cops" ilms could be used to sell them.

I think Richard will be more interested in the previous picture to the one shown by syrup in the linked article rather than any unfounded tales of kinky sex.

This is Roscoe's (Fatty Arbuckle's) police mugshot after his arrest.

So does Richard look like Fatty Arbuckle? lol

Certainly closer to Arbuckle than say Chaplin, Keaton or Lloyd.