Hanging Bank Gardens

huthwaite

Has anyone any ideas about this one? It is shown in the 1855 Sheffield map as being close to the Crookesmoor Workhouse, cannot find anything about it. :blink:

Any chance of posting the map, or saying where the Crookesmoor workhouse was?

Hi Tsavo, Will do as soon as i have a mo! :unsure:

Hi Tsavo, Will do as soon as i have a mo! :unsure:

Okies, Hanging bank Gardens are shown in the 1855 Sheffield Map

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

as being opposite the Old Crookesmoor Workhouse which apparently, was where the Crookesmoor Infant School building is today, it was linked to the Ecclesall Union Workhouse at Netheredge?? It looks as though the gardens were situated on Crookesmoor recreation ground (The Ponderosa?)

Okies, Hanging bank Gardens are shown in the 1855 Sheffield Map

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

as being opposite the Old Crookesmoor Workhouse which apparently, was where the Crookesmoor Infant School building is today, it was linked to the Ecclesall Union Workhouse at Netheredge?? It looks as though the gardens were situated on Crookesmoor recreation ground (The Ponderosa?)

Sorry Huthwaite, I've just found a copy of the map I'd forgotten about. It looks as though it was one of the 'shelves' or steps on the hillside. Notice the other gardens in the area already divided up. Maybe it was just a description of the steep bank at the back of the site?

Sorry Huthwaite, I've just found a copy of the map I'd forgotten about. It looks as though it was one of the 'shelves' or steps on the hillside. Notice the other gardens in the area already divided up. Maybe it was just a description of the steep bank at the back of the site?

Thanks Tsavo, Looking at the 1905 map there is definite evidence of terracing, so I guess you are right it must just have been a generic name, thanks lol

Guest bangtidy

Unless, of course, someone knows different.....?

yes the ponder sounds like the spot

sounds like it may be named after a famous hanging gardens?? who knows theres a india terrace on the map?

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanging Gardens of Babylon (also known as Hanging Gardens of Semiramis) and the walls of Babylon (near present-day Al Hillah in Iraq) are considered one of the original Seven Wonders of the World. They were built by Nebuchadnezzar II around 600 BC. He is reported to have constructed the gardens to please his wife, Amytis of Media, who longed for the trees and beautiful plants of her homeland.[1] They were destroyed in an earthquake after the 1st century BC.

The lush Hanging Gardens are extensively documented by Greek historians such as Strabo and Diodorus Siculus. Through the ages, the location may have been confused with gardens that existed at Nineveh, whose king at the time was Nimrod, since tablets from there clearly show gardens. Writings on these tablets describe the possible use of something similar to an Archimedes' screw as a process of raising the water to the required height.

Its possibley just the gardens where the folk hanged out,

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Sh...Sheffield.shtml

interesting link on workhouses and some spooky pics at bottom of link.. something refering to later being a school ?? and sum address's

hope the information is useful

:)

Guest bangtidy

Unless, of course, someone knows different.....?

yes the ponder sounds like the spot

sounds like it may be named after a famous hanging gardens?? who knows theres a india terrace on the map?

Hanging Gardens of Babylon

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanging Gardens of Babylon (also known as Hanging Gardens of Semiramis) and the walls of Babylon (near present-day Al Hillah in Iraq) are considered one of the original Seven Wonders of the World. They were built by Nebuchadnezzar II around 600 BC. He is reported to have constructed the gardens to please his wife, Amytis of Media, who longed for the trees and beautiful plants of her homeland.[1] They were destroyed in an earthquake after the 1st century BC.

The lush Hanging Gardens are extensively documented by Greek historians such as Strabo and Diodorus Siculus. Through the ages, the location may have been confused with gardens that existed at Nineveh, whose king at the time was Nimrod, since tablets from there clearly show gardens. Writings on these tablets describe the possible use of something similar to an Archimedes' screw as a process of raising the water to the required height.

Its possibley just the gardens where the folk hanged out,

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Sh...Sheffield.shtml

interesting link on workhouses and some spooky pics at bottom of link.. something refering to later being a school ?? and sum address's

hope the information is useful

:)