Waterford crossing

neddy

Does anyone have a map showing the location of the river crossing at Waterford Road.

What's the name of the river and what area are you are refering to please. :mellow:

What's the name of the river and what area are you are refering to please. :mellow:

River Don, Hillfoot area, this was the crossing point before Hillfoot bridge was built,

think I may have it but want to check on map.

According to my A to Z, there's no Waterford Road in Sheffield. Could be wrong though. Several roads in Atterciffe and Darnall start with water... but....

According to my A to Z, there's no Waterford Road in Sheffield. Could be wrong though. Several roads in Atterciffe and Darnall start with water... but....

Waterford Road connected Club Mill Road and Hoyland Road at Hillfoot, Neepsend

near the Farfield, probably gone from AZ, still there on Flash Earth.

Waterford Road connected Club Mill Road and Hoyland Road at Hillfoot, Neepsend

near the Farfield, probably gone from AZ, still there on Flash Earth.

In the A-Z street atlas of Sheffield 1988, 'Waterloo Rd' is between Club Mill Rd and Hoyland Rd Sheff: 3. the name has been changed since then? A section from a 1832 map showing Hill Foot/Far Field, obviously the crossing was well before this.

Looks like AZ has the name wrong.

From Paul Hodkinson's History of Neepsend,

Just below the long weir at Sandbed there was a ford where carts and wagons used to cross the river, as there was no cart bridge until you reached the bridge where Rutland Road is now situated. There was only a footbridge at Hillfoot. A ford is not shown on the William Fairbanks 1740 map but is on the 1784 map. Waterford Road was thus named at the end of the 19th century to perpetuate the memory of the ford’s existence.

Have put where I think it was-is,

Looks like AZ has the name wrong.

From Paul Hodkinson's History of Neepsend,

Just below the long weir at Sandbed there was a ford where carts and wagons used to cross the river, as there was no cart bridge until you reached the bridge where Rutland Road is now situated. There was only a footbridge at Hillfoot. A ford is not shown on the William Fairbanks 1740 map but is on the 1784 map. Waterford Road was thus named at the end of the 19th century to perpetuate the memory of the ford’s existence.

Have put where I think it was-is,

Try page 9 of this ...

Waterford.pdf

Serves me right, Richard, for using an up todate A to Z on a history site!

Street atlas 1998 Waterford Road...

Now you see it

Sreet atlas 1988 ..

Now you don't, it's Waterloo Road.

Confusing :blink: