Queens Road Shops

Guest akura

Who remembers the block of shops adjacent to the Earl of Arundel and Surrey on Queens Road? The one nearest the pub was a chip shop run by a delightful lady who called everybody love, but pronounced it "loov". Next to that (I think) was a double fronted shop called Walkers, and it was a child's dream. One half was a sweet shop, and the other a big toy shop. In amongst the terraced houses on the other side of the road, somewhere near where Halfords is now, was a barbers shop run by a Mr Reg Varney. Either Mr Walker or Mr Varney always wore a bow tie, but I can't remember which. Perhaps it was both.

On the other side of Havelock Bridge was, of course, Hodkin & Jones, builder's merchants. At the corner of Edmund Rd and St. Wilfreds Road there currently stands what I think is now a cafe. I remember it as a grocers/sweet shop run by Sid and Renee Jones, whose penny dandelion & burdock lollies were a treat.

Who remembers the block of shops adjacent to the Earl of Arundel and Surrey on Queens Road? The one nearest the pub was a chip shop run by a delightful lady who called everybody love, but pronounced it "loov". Next to that (I think) was a double fronted shop called Walkers, and it was a child's dream. One half was a sweet shop, and the other a big toy shop. In amongst the terraced houses on the other side of the road, somewhere near where Halfords is now, was a barbers shop run by a Mr Reg Varney. Either Mr Walker or Mr Varney always wore a bow tie, but I can't remember which. Perhaps it was both.

On the other side of Havelock Bridge was, of course, Hodkin & Jones, builder's merchants. At the corner of Edmund Rd and St. Wilfreds Road there currently stands what I think is now a cafe. I remember it as a grocers/sweet shop run by Sid and Renee Jones, whose penny dandelion & burdock lollies were a treat.

I remember these shops well as i used to meet my dad at Walkers, he worked at Spaffords (where comet etc stands now) Can you also remember the petrol station going toward heeley bottom i think was called star? Also down the side of Spaffords was a place called Skellys bridge that run beside the river where we often played as kids.

I remember these shops well as i used to meet my dad at Walkers, he worked at Spaffords (where comet etc stands now) Can you also remember the petrol station going toward heeley bottom i think was called star? Also down the side of Spaffords was a place called Skellys bridge that run beside the river where we often played as kids.

Can't say as I remember the petrol station, but a few more shops have come back to me.

Queens Rd - Beardows (electricals)

Bramall Lane (between the Sheaf pub and Queens Rd)- Forrest Chemist, Websters butcher, Tom Hall barber, the Co-op (grocer and butcher shops)

There were two newsagents on Bramall Lane between Alderson Rd and Queens Rd. The bottom one was run by a grumpy old man and his grumpy old wife. The shop was old and dark and dingy. It was later taken over by a former Sheff Utd footballer called Harold ??????.

I can also remember a typical corner shop on the corner of Shoreham St and Alderson Rd. It was run by the Vigrass family, who later moved to Crookes.

All these places now gone, probaly along with the folk who worked there.

I can also remember that Arnold Laver woodyward on Cherry St used the old air raid siren as a time signal for start and end of work. You could set your watch by it. Of course, that's all gone now as well.

Can't say as I remember the petrol station, but a few more shops have come back to me.

Queens Rd - Beardows (electricals)

Bramall Lane (between the Sheaf pub and Queens Rd)- Forrest Chemist, Websters butcher, Tom Hall barber, the Co-op (grocer and butcher shops)

There were two newsagents on Bramall Lane between Alderson Rd and Queens Rd. The bottom one was run by a grumpy old man and his grumpy old wife. The shop was old and dark and dingy. It was later taken over by a former Sheff Utd footballer called Harold ??????.

I can also remember a typical corner shop on the corner of Shoreham St and Alderson Rd. It was run by the Vigrass family, who later moved to Crookes.

All these places now gone, probaly along with the folk who worked there.

I can also remember that Arnold Laver woodyward on Cherry St used the old air raid siren as a time signal for start and end of work. You could set your watch by it. Of course, that's all gone now as well.

Beardows if i remember was on the corner almost at heeley bottom. Im not sure what era you mention? In the 1970s the butcher round the corner from the sheaf was called Arthurs i remember a lad who worked there lost his fingers in the mincer. Then further down on the corner with Shoreham st was Duggies grocers. There was a church and paper shop across from the sheaf pub. There was a few shops that were situated on Bramhall lane between Alderson road and the Earl of arundel pub including a hairdressers, Stans the grocer who later moved to Queens rd, Clock repairer/jeweller. James cycles was there on the other side, and at the bottom where bramhall lane cornered wih Shoreham st was a furniture shop. Its worth mentioning that St Wilfreds that is now a day centre on Queens road is looking great. In the 1970s it fell into such a bad state of repair that it could easy have been mentioned as a place now gone.

Its worth mentioning that St Wilfreds that is now a day centre on Queens road is looking great. In the 1970s it fell into such a bad state of repair that it could easy have been mentioned as a place now gone.

Seems strange that you mention Saint Wilfrids 'Only me'

I was passing by there yesterday and took a photo of it.

Beardows if i remember was on the corner almost at heeley bottom. Im not sure what era you mention? In the 1970s the butcher round the corner from the sheaf was called Arthurs i remember a lad who worked there lost his fingers in the mincer. Then further down on the corner with Shoreham st was Duggies grocers. There was a church and paper shop across from the sheaf pub. There was a few shops that were situated on Bramhall lane between Alderson road and the Earl of arundel pub including a hairdressers, Stans the grocer who later moved to Queens rd, Clock repairer/jeweller. James cycles was there on the other side, and at the bottom where bramhall lane cornered wih Shoreham st was a furniture shop. Its worth mentioning that St Wilfreds that is now a day centre on Queens road is looking great. In the 1970s it fell into such a bad state of repair that it could easy have been mentioned as a place now gone.

Most of the shops mentioned in this topic have gone, some new ones have replaced them especialy around Heeley. However Beardows Electricals is still there, or a least it was there last time I passed.

1973 Kellys lists the following on this section of Queens Rd

Bramall Ln

Harrington Rd

Earl of Arundel & Surrey

540 Thos Rawson Fried Fish Dlr

542 Mrs V Mather Grocer

544 Chas W Walker Wholsale conf

546 Chas W Walker Stationer

548 Mark alan

550 Mrs D Machin Cafe

552 Mrs A McClarence Florist

554 C Ashton Ladies Hairdresser

556 G W Walker Toy Dealer

558 Bernard Skelton

560 C Jackson Grocer

Colver Rd

1973 Kellys lists the following on this section of Queens Rd

Bramall Ln

Harrington Rd

Earl of Arundel & Surrey

540 Thos Rawson Fried Fish Dlr

542 Mrs V Mather Grocer

544 Chas W Walker Wholsale conf

546 Chas W Walker Stationer

548 Mark alan

550 Mrs D Machin Cafe

552 Mrs A McClarence Florist

554 C Ashton Ladies Hairdresser

556 G W Walker Toy Dealer

558 Bernard Skelton

560 C Jackson Grocer

Colver Rd

Whites 1911 lists

540 Queens Rd Flora Hodgson Fried Fish Dealer

546 Queens Rd Henry Storey Tripe Dealer

560 Queens Rd George H Goodison Grocer

Main entry for Earl of Arundel & Surrey also updated Thomas Birkinshaw

Mr Reg Varney would always give you sweets after your haircut as a kid, also it was facinating watching some of the old guys having hairs singed on the back of their necks, and how he sharpened the razors on what we thought was a belt.

I might be wrong but did Reg Varney then move around the corner onto the left hand side going up Bramall Lane, past the Earl? when that part of Queens Rd disapeared. Also from memory i can recall Walkers actually opening on a Sunday afternoon (or was this due to the early 70s power situation) which was quite unusual back then.

Mr Reg Varney would always give you sweets after your haircut as a kid, also it was facinating watching some of the old guys having hairs singed on the back of their necks, and how he sharpened the razors on what we thought was a belt.

I might be wrong but did Reg Varney then move around the corner onto the left hand side going up Bramall Lane, past the Earl? when that part of Queens Rd disapeared. Also from memory i can recall Walkers actually opening on a Sunday afternoon (or was this due to the early 70s power situation) which was quite unusual back then.

What No. Queens Rd was Reg Varney's & what year

(the name still gives me the shivers "On the Buses" 1 of my least favourite 70's programmes)

(the name still gives me the shivers "On the Buses" 1 of my least favourite 70's programmes)

Reg Varney of "on the buses" only died a couple of weeks ago, would you believe he was 92!

His partner "Jack" from the same programme has been dead quite a long time, he was only young

Stephen Lewis who played inspector Blake always looked really ancient but he is still going and appears in "Last of the summer wine", - another programme which dates back to the 70's.

As i said i am not sure, early 70s, when Queens Rd side disapeared but looking at the map you posted the other shop would have been roughly above 314 Bramall Lane.

Guest rcolley

I remember Gilbert Websters butchers shop. My father used to buy his meat there.

Every Saturday he would have a joint of meat delivered. The delivery boy on his butchers bike had to pedal all the way from Bramhall Lane to our house on Norton Lane. That is one heck of a ride on any sort of bike.

Every week my father rewarded him with a tip of 3 old pence. I think he thought he was being generous.

Guest rcolley

I remember Reg Varney. His shop seemed to be full of bottles labeled Bay Rum etc.

He charged 1 shilling & 3 pence for a boys haircut.

Once around 1954 my father gave me half a crown (two and six). I then went over the road to Williams toy shop and bought a small toy boat with the change. I was far from popular at home for a while after that.

The petrol station was called `Coronet` one of half a dozen or so dotted around Sheffield. W/E.