Macro Street

southside

I'm researching some family history connections to a family living on Macro Street (Pitsmoor) in 1861, I found these photographs of the area on Picture Sheffield.

Can anyone tell me when these houses were built and anything about the layout of the rooms (no rear windows) The first photograph shows the back entrances to the housing block each with a chimney stack. Was this a kitchen? The second photograph, the front of the block.

Southside

Cross Macro Street.jpg

Cross Macro Street2jpg.jpg

Cross Macro Street4jpg.jpg

Macro Street.jpg

• Like 1

Housing started being built in late 1851.  In 1857 the Highway Board spent £4 to £5 to get it lighted by gas, despite the fact that it was un-dedicated.  This was due to it becoming a busy highway following the opening of the Ball street bridge.

Thanks Edmund  The houses were fairly new in 1861 then! I wonder if they came with any mod cons, gas, water, drainage etc.

George Bottomley the head of the family living at 92 Macro Street in 1861 is recorded on the census as a Locomotive Engine Driver working for the Manchester Sheffield & Lincoln Line, I guess quite a prestigious job at the time, as his spouse is recorded as the Wife of a Locomotive Engine Driver for the Manchester Sheffield & Lincoln Line.

George Bottomley was a witness on my GG Grandfather`s  marriage certificate and he also worked for the M-S & L Railway

Their sleep must have been disturbed on the night of the Great Flood in 1864, by the torrent of water flowing down the Don over on the other side of the railway.

The Picture Sheffield photograph shows some of the damage caused to the buildings just a bit along from Macro Street on the opposite side.

1864 Flood.jpg

1864 Flood 2.jpg

Birley Street from Macro Street, Woodside Lane in background 1960.

The stone wall on the left still remains, just through the railway bridge heading up from Neepsend.

854648909_BirleyStreetfromMacroStreetWoodsideLaneinbackground1960.jpg.30c05e0118efcd7b36eecf137a1a447f.jpg