Early photo shop ?

tozzin

On 11/08/2022 at 15:40, darnell_ginnal said:

Looks like the lampost might still be in exactly the same positon.   Anyone remember the old gas street lights ?   There was one outside my house and I remember the man coming to light it each evening.   Must have been one of the last.    My grandfathers house also had a gas light at the top of the stairs, which still worked for a while.   

I lived on Ditchingham Road, Pitsmoor as a kid, and up to about 1969, we still had gas lamps in that area but they were somehow self lighting by then.

Looks to me like a stereophonic camera has possibly been used, they were about in them days (1800's), it produces a very sharp 3D image, as for the gas lamps, I remember them in the 50's so it may be genuine, looks very good. Enjoy the photo depicting life in the late 1800'/early 1900's.

I’ve just been studying the coachman in the photo, he seems to be sat much higher to the two ladies next to him, has he been manipulated too ? I wonder.

4890C061-2604-4868-A2D9-196CB9B11BF7.jpeg

Some more detail on the advertisements on the gable end:

Every Housekeeper should keep on hand, ready for immediate use, some of

McCALL'S PAYSANDU OX-TONGUES.

In tins from 1 1/2 lbs. to 3 1/2 lbs. each

Sold by Grocers and Provision Merchants

(Paysandu is a town in Brazil, presumably the origin of the meat)

The South Yorkshire Times 14th November 1890 advertised

HEPWORTH'S BIG CLOTHING SALE NOW ON

See windows for the most wonderful bargains ever offered in Sheffield

Here's a few of the bargains.

225 Men's Trousers Price 6/11 Sale Price 3/11 etc

98 Boy's Sailor Suits Price 6/3 Sale Price 3/5  etc

J.Hepworth & Son

Top of Fargate

Walter James Greenup came to Sheffield from Oldham in 1871 and joined the Brunswick Chapel as a preacher. By his death in 1899 he was one of the Circuit Stewards of the Sheffield Wesleyan Brunswick Circuit. His printing business was on Flat Street, initially Clarke and Greenup, then W.J.Greenup from 1883, the business continuing as Greenup and Thompson after his death. A photo of Mr Greenup from PictureSheffield:

1267266893_WJGreenup.png.31d5be2aefd837845437016aa3ea397b.png

37 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Some more detail on the advertisements on the gable end:

Every Housekeeper should keep on hand, ready for immediate use, some of

McCALL'S PAYSANDU OX-TONGUES.

In tins from 1 1/2 lbs. to 3 1/2 lbs. each

Sold by Grocers and Provision Merchants

(Paysandu is a town in Brazil, presumably the origin of the meat)

The South Yorkshire Times 14th November 1890 advertised

HEPWORTH'S BIG CLOTHING SALE NOW ON

See windows for the most wonderful bargains ever offered in Sheffield

Here's a few of the bargains.

225 Men's Trousers Price 6/11 Sale Price 3/11 etc

98 Boy's Sailor Suits Price 6/3 Sale Price 3/5  etc

J.Hepworth & Son

Top of Fargate

Walter James Greenup came to Sheffield from Oldham in 1871 and joined the Brunswick Chapel as a preacher. By his death in 1899 he was one of the Circuit Stewards of the Sheffield Wesleyan Brunswick Circuit. His printing business was on Flat Street, initially Clarke and Greenup, then W.J.Greenup from 1883, the business continuing as Greenup and Thompson after his death. A photo of Mr Greenup from PictureSheffield:

1267266893_WJGreenup.png.31d5be2aefd837845437016aa3ea397b.png

Greenup & Thompson relocated to 7 / 39 East Bank Road, they finally went out of business on the 15th of November 2001 with the loss of 60 jobs.

The Derbyshire & South Yorkshire Bill Posting & Advertising Co. Ltd., were situated at 66 Surrey Street, near the corner of Norfolk Street, (White's directory 1901).

That could explain the reason for the  large number of adverts in the area.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tozzin said:

I’ve just been studying the coachman in the photo, he seems to be sat much higher to the two ladies next to him, has he been manipulated too ? I wonder.

4890C061-2604-4868-A2D9-196CB9B11BF7.jpeg

A higher driver's position was not unusual.

On 07/08/2022 at 08:31, antony said:

‘The camera never lies’ - has been a lie pretty much since photography was invented. Like History Dude said, maybe enhanced?

I think its just an old photo taken on old equipment.

The focus is on the carriage, so not surprised that everything else isn’t as sharp.

There is another photo on here of Queen Victorias visit to a steelworks that was clearly  ‘touched up’

Hi, I must say I do agree with you, that it's an old photo taken on old equipment and it's been enhanced,

as we know that's what they used to do.

I have scrutinised the carriage on the road, and still believe it is true. 3 people on the front are 'looking

up' at the photographer, as well as the boy on the road in front. The horses have stood for a while, as the

rear right horse has his hoof 'at rest' on the tip. The wheels touching the road and the pale under shadowing

are consistent with the standing carriage.

The boy behind the lamp post on the road edge, the boy in front of it on the pavement, and the boy to the

lamp post rear, are all looking up at the carriage.   

12 minutes ago, Sadbrewer said:

A higher driver's position was not unusual.

Your right Sadbrewer, loads of photo's showing the drivers seat on the right edge, set in a higher position

on the large travelling coaches.

• Like 1

Some more details of the adverts:

Charles Bradlaugh the anti-religious freethinker and campaigner lectured at the Hall of Science, Rockingham street on Sunday 19th October 1890. His three lectures were on "The Eight Hours Movement", "Myth in Religion" and "The Political Situation". Front seats: 6d, Back seats: 4d, Gallery: 2d.

The United Temperance Bazaar was held at the Cutlers Hall on 3rd, 4th, 5th November 1890, opened by the Duchess of Rutland. The 'united' came from the joint organisation by the Sheffield Gospel Temperance Union and the Women's Christian Temperance Association. There were 18 stalls present. Some of the opening speeches raised arguments about whether temperance meant moderation or total abstinence. A total of £1,858 9s 2d was raised.

4 hours ago, Hopman said:

There's a carriage museum near Matlock. See https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g209970-d2253850-i254669824-Red_House_Stables_and_Carriage_Museum-Matlock_Derbyshire_England.html

Some of the photos show the driver in an elevated position, presumably to see over the horses.

Some of the photos also show a complaint about a hotel room by the look of it.

Without being forensic ,I just think it’s a nice ,interesting, late Victorian photograph…which I imagine is what the photographer intended!

4 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Without being forensic ,I just think it’s a nice ,interesting, late Victorian photograph…which I imagine is what the photographer intended!

I agree, it gives an insight into how people lived, worked and generally made the best of what they had, it’s a brilliant photo.

5 hours ago, Hopman said:

There's a carriage museum near Matlock. See https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g209970-d2253850-i254669824-Red_House_Stables_and_Carriage_Museum-Matlock_Derbyshire_England.html

Some of the photos show the driver in an elevated position, presumably to see over the horses.

And also to look behind to see what is following.

On 06/08/2022 at 13:58, Edmund said:

Looking at the advert on the side of the building - Joshua Dyson's Dioramas and Gipsy Choir opened in the Vestry Hall, West Bar in December 1886, and continued to use that venue for their visits to Sheffield until Monday 13th October 1890 when they opened at Sanger's Circus for the first time. After departing at the end of the month, their next visit was in March 1893, again to Sanger's Circus, after which they missed Sheffield for three and a half years.  Their fifth visit to the town opened on Monday 14th September 1896 at the Albert Hall, their 6th visit in 1898 was also at the Albert Hall.  Mr Dyson died in Wetherby in December 1910, and although born in Glossop was a Sheffield man, and was buried at the General Cemetery.

This puts the date of the photograph to between late 1890 and early 1891.

Good work Edmund...bearing in mind that the poster has not been covered by others, I think it's fair to say the background photo was taken a couple of weeks either side of that October 13th 1890 date.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where the coach was heading? I have seen a photo of a similar coach at a similar period heading to Manchester. What puzzles me is that by the late 1890s our City was well connected ,by rail ,to most parts of the country. Could it be the coach was making a run to an event….as one did for years from Tinsley to Doncaster races?

On 06/08/2022 at 07:10, tozzin said:

The lamp post are not real, I still think it looks very iffy.

As a keen amateur photographer, I would say from looking at many Victorian photos, that this is all original. They used large 'plates' as negatives and everyone had to stand very still, but not all did! Also, the large 'negative' holds far much more detail than does 35mm typical film or the tiny sensors on digital cameras today.

Have a look at the Whitby collection of fishermen by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe as an example from the late 1800s.

It is obviously a professional camera used and was recording something special - you can always see the difference between better cameras. The darkroom did give some flexibility in 'holding back' areas to stop overexposure, or giving more exposure to certain areas by covering the remaining image with card.

14 hours ago, tozzin said:

Has anyone noticed the two lead horses have no shadows?

Look closer.  You can see faint shadows in there.  Not very clear but they are there.  It looks like whoever made the print faffed around a little to make 'em less obvious.

On 26/08/2022 at 17:40, Bikeman said:

As a keen amateur photographer, I would say from looking at many Victorian photos, that this is all original. They used large 'plates' as negatives and everyone had to stand very still, but not all did! Also, the large 'negative' holds far much more detail than does 35mm typical film or the tiny sensors on digital cameras today.

Have a look at the Whitby collection of fishermen by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe as an example from the late 1800s.

It is obviously a professional camera used and was recording something special - you can always see the difference between better cameras. The darkroom did give some flexibility in 'holding back' areas to stop overexposure, or giving more exposure to certain areas by covering the remaining image with card.

Sorry Bikeman but I have to disagree...look at the original B&W rather than the recolour...this is an amalgamation of two photos, the coach and horses are absolutely pin sharp (and quite bright) with no movement suggesting a fast shutter speed and a small aperture , taken on a good day, with a first class camera...if you look at the lady on the right of the photo she is blurred suggesting movement, this could not have occured at a shutter speed that was fast enough to freeze not only the horses but a large number of passengers. If you look at the boy to the front right of the horses he is slightly blurred, and the chap to the left is also not taken on the same f stop as the horses.

Snap 2022-08-28 at 02.07.28.png

On 11/08/2022 at 15:40, darnell_ginnal said:

Looks like the lampost might still be in exactly the same positon.   Anyone remember the old gas street lights ?   There was one outside my house and I remember the man coming to light it each evening.   Must have been one of the last.    My grandfathers house also had a gas light at the top of the stairs, which still worked for a while.   

new on here!! Hi there

just replying to your post on gaslights ,I can remember them all along my road (Hawthorne Road ) as a child and Hillsbro in general..They created atmospheric murky shadows of people ,especially during the smog.