Fornham Street - (Victorian History)

darnell_ginnal

I'm researching the Victorian history of Fornham Street (off Suffolk Road).      Earliest date I have for houses on the road is 1833, with
the majority of the housing being built in 1839.

I had a large number of ancestors living in various houses on the street.    Hoping someone has some photo's of the Victorian housing,
particularly the shop on the corner of Fornham St and Suffolk Road, which was still in use in the 1960's.     Picture Sheffield has a photo of the shop at the Lead Mill Rd end, but nothing else.

Happy to share my research with anyone else who has Fornham Street family history ( up to 1911 ).

The Report on the Sanatory Condition of the Borough of Sheffield (1848) goes into detail regarding the conditions in the area around Fornham Street (page 13) - available from www.archive.org.

5 hours ago, darnell_ginnal said:

I'm researching the Victorian history of Fornham Street (off Suffolk Road).      Earliest date I have for houses on the road is 1833, with
the majority of the housing being built in 1839.

I had a large number of ancestors living in various houses on the street.    Hoping someone has some photo's of the Victorian housing,
particularly the shop on the corner of Fornham St and Suffolk Road, which was still in use in the 1960's.     Picture Sheffield has a photo of the shop at the Lead Mill Rd end, but nothing else.

Happy to share my research with anyone else who has Fornham Street family history ( up to 1911 ).

I was born near to Fornham Street and lived in the area for over sixteen years, I remember the shop you mention (number 26 Fornham Street), I once had my tea in the living room of that shop, the shop owners children were friends of mine and their parents invited me over.

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

The Report on the Sanatory Condition of the Borough of Sheffield (1848) goes into detail regarding the conditions in the area around Fornham Street (page 13) - available from www.archive.org.

Snippet from a large article published in The Independant: October 2 1847

news_.jpg

10 minutes ago, Sadbrewer said:

In 1841, No1 Fornham Street was a branch of Challenger's East & West India Coffee Warehouse.

coff.jpg

The Duke of Norfolk who owned the land, had a seat at Fornham Hall near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk, presumably suggesting the road names.

The Fornham St Genevieve Estate was sold by Sir Charles Egleton Kent to Bernard Edward Howard in 1789.  In 1815, Bernard Edward Howard, now the 12th Duke of Norfolk also purchased the neighbouring estate of Fornham St Martin from the son of Sir Charles Egleton Kent. In July 1843 the Duke of Norfolk sold the Fornham Estate to the Rt Hon John Thomas Manners.

Thank you for all your replies.    Based on the lease dates it would appear that the first houses on Fornham Street, were
built in 1831, with further houses being added up to 1838.    

The street was certainly named after Fornham Hall in Suffolk.       The Hall being the seat of the Duke of Norfolk, who
owned all the land in the Fornham Street area.      Three years before the building of Fornham Street, the Duke had
started work on remodelling Fornham Hall.   

Fornham Hall (Wikipedia)

In Hunter's History of Sheffield it states that by 1819 the Duke owned 12,000 acres of land in and around Sheffield.   
By 1856 he was receiving £36,000 per year in rents from the good people of Sheffield.     To demonstrate just how much
money that was at the time, the cost for Sir Titus Salt to built the lovely church at Saltaire in the same year was £16,000.

Saltaire Church (Wikipedia)