Council acquisition of Claywoods & quarry?

duckweed

I know now that Council leased Cholera monument gardens from 1906 & was given them in 1930. But I don't know when they acquired the woods and quarry. Were they still in Duke of Norfolk's hands till the 1960s when SCC decided to build Clay flats?

A Housing Compulsory Purchase Order was made by the Council in 1964 for Norfolk Road, Claywood Road, Claywood Lane, Farm Bank Road, Shrewsbury Road and Granville Street - all roads surrounding Clay Wood, so presumably in preparation for the building of the 3 blocks of flats.

Thanks, Just trying to firm up timeline. The other thing I don't know is when the quarry was no longer in use. My guess is 1870s as someone at a Council meeting in 1878 suggested it should be filled in.  

It's not conclusive by any means, but - in April 1880 a suicide was discovered in the quarry by a labourer at a quarter to six in the morning.  Of course the labourer may not have been there legitimately, but it looks as though some work was still going on there.

Great so that may explain why Duke of Norfolk didn't want to fence it in 1888 as may still have been operational but possibly by 1900s was not.