Swift No 3 Lino Knife

Arif

Does anyone have any information on this Swift Lino Knife? My most burning wish at the moment is whereabouts did Swifts operate from? I've tried and tried looking online but I can't come up with anything concrete. Thank you all

IMG_3300.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

My suggestion is William Swift, a little mester, who operated from 139 Crescent Road, Walkley (later named Walkley Crescent Road). He died 21st January 1886 and didn't advertise anywhere so far as I can see. He employed one of his sons, Elijah, as a blade forger plus one other man part time.  Elijah died aged 32 in 1889.

1917136982_WmSwift1881.png.c6dabcbe5b468a4aa5873557dfbf87ab.png

483315780_WmSwift1886.png.9fa794c13cb9c8dd5c3422e023f04d12.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Edmund said:

My suggestion is William Swift, a little mester, who operated from 139 Crescent Road, Walkley (later named Walkley Crescent Road). He died 21st January 1886 and didn't advertise anywhere so far as I can see. He employed one of his sons, Elijah, as a blade forger plus one other man part time.  Elijah died aged 32 in 1889.

1917136982_WmSwift1881.png.c6dabcbe5b468a4aa5873557dfbf87ab.png

483315780_WmSwift1886.png.9fa794c13cb9c8dd5c3422e023f04d12.png

Great shout Edmund, that looks very promising, thank you for taking time to look that up.

On 25/06/2022 at 16:13, Arif said:

Does anyone have any information on this Swift Lino Knife? My most burning wish at the moment is whereabouts did Swifts operate from? I've tried and tried looking online but I can't come up with anything concrete. Thank you all

Could be a clip point, leather craft, shoe making, bookbinding, cobblers or leather working knife.

Take your pick 🙂

23 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Could be a clip point, leather craft, shoe making, bookbinding, cobblers or leather working knife.

Take your pick 🙂

Precursor to the Stanley knife?

I used similar knives as a shoe repairer in the 60's.  They needed breaking in and were frequently sharpened, so soon wore down, but we tended to have a favourite which we would not like anyone else to use. George Barnsley do a selection of shoe repair knives though they look a bit posher than the ones I used.

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/shoemaking-repair-knives

shoe_knives.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, boginspro said:

I used similar knives as a shoe repairer in the 60's.  They needed breaking in and were frequently sharpened, so soon wore down, but we tended to have a favourite which we would not like anyone else to use. George Barnsley do a selection of shoe repair knives though they look a bit posher than the ones I used.

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/shoemaking-repair-knives

shoe_knives.png

The heel paring knife is very similar, thank you