Cholera monument grounds bowling green.

duckweed

I have seen on a map of 1954 that there were toilets and a bowling green. Did the Council install them when they were given the land in 1930? And when did they go? Was it when they built Clay flats?

Hi again duckweed. I have found a mention under Norfolk Park that simply says :-

" between 1912 - 1954 Bowling greens and tennis Courts were added "

I am waiting to hear back from a lady who lives at Norfolk Park, and is on the Res Assn, she is most informative,

so will let you know if I get any more details, regards Heartshome.

• Like 1

Hi duckweed. Heard back from the Norfolk Park lady. She has a resident who has lived his entire life in that area,

she is going to contact him and ask for any memories he has of the Bowling green and Tennis Courts being

there and when they were removed.. He is 90 so he should remember them.

Ok Heartshome.

On 25/06/2022 at 15:28, duckweed said:

I have seen on a map of 1954 that there were toilets and a bowling green. Did the Council install them when they were given the land in 1930? And when did they go? Was it when they built Clay flats?

Have found the BOWLING GREEN shown and written indicating position, on a revised map 1935, published 1937.

From a Daily Telegraph article about the Monument in March 1932:

"Part of the ground has been made into a small bowling green; in another spot is an old cab shelter, now used as a meeting place for the old men of the district, who may be seen enjoying a game of dominoes or indulging in a weighty argument there; another attraction is an arch consisting of the jaw bones of a whale; and inviting seats are arranged along the walks.  It is a place of rest and recreation"

• Like 1

I know a few years after the monument was built Duke of Norfolk turned the area into "pleasure gardens". I don't know what that entailed. The Duke was famously tight with his money so may not have been much. His grandson gave the gardens  to the city in 1930 when he reached 21. In 1932 Council had to bring in structural engineers and repair the monument because it was having a leaning Tower of Pisa moment.

9 hours ago, Edmund said:

From a Daily Telegraph article about the Monument in March 1932:

"Part of the ground has been made into a small bowling green; in another spot is an old cab shelter, now used as a meeting place for the old men of the district, who may be seen enjoying a game of dominoes or indulging in a weighty argument there; another attraction is an arch consisting of the jaw bones of a whale; and inviting seats are arranged along the walks.  It is a place of rest and recreation"

Nice one Edmund!

So yes, it looks like you were right duckweed, that they appeared after the gift of the land in 1930. 

From H.Keeble-Hawson's "The Growth of a City":

In May 1899 Alderman W.H.Brittain pointed out that the Cholera Monument Grounds which belonged to the Duke of Norfolk had been closed since 1883.  He said he had approached the Duke who was disposed to grant a tenancy of the grounds to the Corporation at a nominal rent and the Parks Committee were asked to take the matter up.  In the following month a lease for 21 years was arranged at a nominal rent of 2/- per annum, and subsequently 320 yards of iron railings were erected to enclose the grounds ; the main walks were asphalted, and repairs done to the Monument itself.  This lease was in 1921 extended to 1929 and subsequently the Monument and grounds became the property of the Corporation in perpetuity.