A "Royal George" Razor, 3 Link Chain & Hygienic Encore.

Kalfred

Hello, I was doing some research on one Sheffield concern when I came on a great image of the blade of a razor made by another very well-known Sheffield cutler. I did not know them as razor makers, but I thought the image would be of interest to members of the Forum who perhaps did. Sorry it had to be a composite image.

62715520_ThomasTurnerRoyalGeorgerazorblade(1).jpg.4faa5280fb9034fdc2d12aaf0ffc6058.jpg   

The mainly "eating" cutlery mark reference sites that I know, do not show this possible trademark. This "The Royal George" razor is carrying what I assume is King George V's head and the tang carries the acknowledgement of "Cutlers to His Majesty". That would be interesting as the King is bearded? I suppose it could have been relating to King George as a Prince, and "His Majesty" could have been George's dad (also bearded), Edward VII, before he died in 1910. This could be potential dating for the razor.  
On the razor tang we see the name of the maker "Thomas Turner" and above the writing, but not quite so clear, is a pictorial trademark that is known to be associated with Thomas Turner. It looks like a wavy line with maybe 3 chain like links above.  Better examples are below. 

2100378811_ThomasTurnerRoyalGeorgerazorblade(2).jpg.f1cc7ff81610e9cda9241cf9f0a51491.jpg

Does anyone know what the mark represents? The "Encore" mark is seen on large quantities of Thomas Turner cutlery both before and after 1900. Not all though, as shown by the marks on 2 spoons.

1573830488_ThomasTurnerRoyalGeorgespoons(4).jpg.8f9ae28240ae2d2406b04b5a6e479917.jpg

They seem to have a version of the wavy line and chain mark on. This seems an early mark like "Encore" (granted in 1805) was. It is repeatedly show on an 1867 advert for “Thomas Turner & Co of Suffolk Works Sheffield”. That ad also gave a "London House" at 19 Ely Place, Holborn. 
I found an 1922 London Showroom, address at Bath House, 57 Holborn Viaduct, E.C.1. This was on an invoice offered for sale on Ebay. It looks genuine and I have a composite of the address "bits".  

1574471189_ThomasTurnerRvinvoiceblade(3).jpg.b2263a8d897fb9537720ebbd1f960c33.jpg

Not forgetting "Hygienic", as this was technically another "Thomas Turner" trademark, but a later (circa 1915) one, used after "T.T" had been taken over by the Hobson Brothers and the 2nd London address was also in that period.
Kalfred   
Hawley's name on a knife blade web site has a great deal more information on the history of the Thomas Turner concern. 

The trademark was three diamonds and a peppercorn with the word "Encore" underneath, as you say, granted in 1805 by the Cutlers Company.  Thomas Turner & Company were given the Royal Warrant for their services to the nation during the South African War.  The Hobsons (Albert and Wilfred) took over the company in July 1893.

The "Hygienic" and "Austral" brands belonged to Wingfield, Rowbotham & Co. established in 1751, incorporated into Thomas Turner & Co by the Hobsons , along with Joseph Haywood & Co (pen and pocket knives). 

Thank you "Edmund" for that clarification about the "full trademark". It must have been mix and match according to product and "space". If that mark had previously belonged to another concern, do we know from the mists of time, what the significance of the 3 diamonds and a peppercorn was?
Kalfred   

Fantastic info. Thank you. I now know and anyone else who is looking will have the opportunity to know.

Kalfred 

Hello, just bought this electroplated (EP) teaspoon made by "Thomas Turner & Co" with a much better set of manufacturers marks than shown in the image I had previously posted.

784625307_TTEncorespn.jpg.56ac4b31eda138b34c041ee5a3ae03b2.jpg

Kalfred 

Most of Turners Suffolk Works is still standing I believe BUT I haven’t been on Suffolk Road for at least eight years so it could have been demolished, I used to go to Laycocks a few years ago and once inside , I assumed it was the offices and showroom entrance, there was a splendid staircase up to the upper floors with what looked like a mahogany or teak handrail.

On 13/12/2022 at 19:05, tozzin said:

Most of Turners Suffolk Works is still standing I believe BUT I haven’t been on Suffolk Road for at least eight years so it could have been demolished, I used to go to Laycocks a few years ago and once inside , I assumed it was the offices and showroom entrance, there was a splendid staircase up to the upper floors with what looked like a mahogany or teak handrail.

I visited Laycocks a lot too to buy materials for my workshop.

They all had a great sense of humour and had a big chart up on the wall by the trade counter, headed "Laycock Sons & Layabouts" with numerous comical drawings which I enjoyed reading through.

Cannot remember a single one of them unfortunately,  but they were all happily denigrating their own  company.

Lovely days

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I visited Laycocks a lot too to buy materials for my workshop.

They all had a great sense of humour and had a big chart up on the wall by the trade counter, headed "Laycock Sons & Layabouts" with numerous comical drawings which I enjoyed reading through.

Cannot remember a single one of them unfortunately,  but they were all happily denigrating their own  company.

Lovely days

I do remember an oldish lady that worked there and what she didn’t know about the items for grinding, glazing ( linishing ) and polishing just wasn’t worth knowing. The cutlery trade and it’s ancillary product providers brings back some very happy memories plus some sad ones too.

Here are marks on a dessert spoon with T. Turner trademarks 3 diamonds under the peppercorn and Hygienic with the addition of "Wingfield's" name.

TTCoBirmVvesta007.jpg.6c544e779c5c8b7272b39a7516869c43.jpg

Kalfred

And another pepper and 2 diamonds mark, snapped in an antique shop. The knife in a 3 part carving set. Made by Turners to be retailed by the name underneath the mark. The name it I think is "Strother & Co" of Blyth. Not your nearby Blyth, but the Northumberland port one, where there was an ironmongers called "Strothers".

EncoremarkStrotherCoIronmongersBlythNorthumberlandComp.jpg.370cc1484526e6d3bb4a15d79680807b.jpg

Kelly's Directory of Northumberland, 1914
IRONMONGERS-RETAIL
Strother & Co. 12 Waterloo Rd. Blyth

Kalfred