National Bus Service Sheffield to Pwhelli 1970s

wudbrook

I drove this return service in the mid 70s at the weekend which connected Rotherham and Sheffield with Butlins Holiday Camp. Cannot remember for the life of me their being a second driver and wondered if anyone else could remember Dont remember using tachos either and part of the route a mystery across Pennines Did we use Mam Tor then or cut over the cat and fifddle?

Anyone else remember this service or the Yarmouth one which I remember a right slog and after usually arriving late being turned straight around to come back!

Don’t know whether you knew /recall my late Father  -in -Law, (Keith Williams) ...and don’t know if he did that service but he was a fairly regular part- time driver for various local bus companies 70s/80s ( ex-Sheffield Transport before then)...very tall fella with infectious laugh...?

Sorry I dont but it sounds like he was doing the same as me a part timer. Sure I would have known him but memory is unfortunately a bit thin and why looking for help to remind myself of this work. I remember well the Plaxton AECs that we drove and how being a bit wild in my 20s I flogged them more than I should and usually had to nure them back home the temperature guages in the danger zone!

Thought I’d try....he was an ex -copper ( military and civi)  so his stature quite distinctive ....not an ordinary looking bloke! He drove for several, casually, SUT, National, Booth & Fisher ( and I THINK a bit for WA).But yes, I get your point .....much of  what’s raised and discussed on this site is about things where were or happened a long time ago. Good to talk anyway!

Does anyone know what the route was, as this service presumably preceded the construction of the M56, and North Wales Expressway.

From what has been mentioned so far, it sounds like Sheffield to Buxton and Congleton, or Sheffield to Bakewell and Leek, and then, presumably, from there, to Chester /’ Wrexham, and the A5, through Llangollen, and Corwen, to the North Wales Coast.

Back in 1967 I went to North Wales (Lleyn Peninsula) with the Scouts. What I can remember about the journey back is that we stopped at one of the resorts on the North coast and I recall coming on the A619 through Baslow.

Thyanks for those replies. I think the Buxton bit is right but after that wonder if the route was thro Macklesfied as deffrinately remember a breakdown near Chelford