Village of Ecclesfield - David Hey

Edmund

I have been scanning the book "The Village of Ecclesfield" by David Hey (1968) for a relative.  I thought I'd share it here.

The link is here: Village of Ecclesfield

If you want a copy, I'd recommend downloading it onto your computer, as it won't be available via the link forever.

Hey_1_cover.thumb.jpg.47c81d3a48c3041d9e8622758aa480bc.jpgHey_2_contents.thumb.jpg.40ef087e6014dcb143635ab9ff783c84.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Edmund, good stuff.

I was brought up on New Parson Cross and we always referred to Ecclesfield as 'The Village', much more interesting than the council estate.

I still go there regularly to visit the cemetery and find that most of the central village layout has survived intact. Even the prefabs are still there by the park.

Dear Edmund, Since you remarkably had the Hey 'Ecclesfield' book I wondered if you knew of and had access to "Rockingham Colliery through the Ages" by A. Bennett published in 1979. My father was Manager in the 1950s and was buried alive in a rock fall but survived!! Cedric.

Hello Cedric, 

Glad to hear about your father's escape!  The book seems to have also escaped - I don't have it and can't find any reference to it.  The only possible mention of it was on Radio Sheffield in December 1979.  The Sheffield archives have a copy of a reel to reel tape recording (ref CAS728b.wav ) which includes an item "Rockingham Colliery. A miner there plans to write the history of it."

EDIT; Just discovered that the Sheffield and District Family History Society claim to have a copy of the book in their collection which is held at the Sheffield Archives (see link to SDFHS below)

SDFHS - put Rockingham in search box

Thank you so much. Yes I see the reference on the Sheffield Family History site. I will explore,

I have found a copy at AbeBooks

The Village of Ecclesfield
David Hey

Published by Advertiser Press, 1968

Seller: World of Rare Books, Goring-by-Sea, SXW, United Kingdom

Seller Rating: 5-star rating

Contact seller

Used - Hardcover
Condition: Good

£ 20.36

Convert currency
£ 2.80 Shipping