Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?

Sheffield History

Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?

• 1930's
    • 1940's
    • 1950's
    • 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

Hi, late 70's throught to late 80's. Skinheads, SKA, Suedeheads, (Remember the pub Barrow boys under commercial st bridge?), NF, Mods, Rockers, Punk, later reborn of psychedelic punk (the limit) then onto Goth (anyone remember Bauhaus?). Pond St Cafe, Woolco cafe, Smileys cafe, Wimpy.

Hole in the road.

Harringtons, Beatties, Redgates, Market records, bradleys records, Amazing records, Woolies.

Crazy daisy's, Romeo and juliets later Cairo Jax, Steelys later Roxys, isabellas, Kikis, Limit etc..

Gaunmont, ABC, Rex etc..

Polivaults (could never spell out how to spell those shoes) cornish pasties shoes, Monkey boots, rebenas etc...

Marples, Stonehouse, fountain bar, millionaires, blue bell, mulberry tavern, etc..etc..etc.. Now I am becoming very very nostalgic!! Someone shut me up Pleeeease! :blink:

I chose the 70's as that's where my happiest memories are from.

Here's a few...

Long hot summer of '76

Cheap bus fares 2p for kids

10p mixes

Woolley woods

Sledging down Concord Park in the winter

it was1/2 pence really in the 70's for the bus, it wasn't until the 80's when it was 2p

Hi, late 70's throught to late 80's. Skinheads, SKA, Suedeheads, (Remember the pub Barrow boys under commercial st bridge?), NF, Mods, Rockers, Punk, later reborn of psychedelic punk (the limit) then onto Goth (anyone remember Bauhaus?). Pond St Cafe, Woolco cafe, Smileys cafe, Wimpy.

Hole in the road.

Harringtons, Beatties, Redgates, Market records, bradleys records, Amazing records, Woolies.

Crazy daisy's, Romeo and juliets later Cairo Jax, Steelys later Roxys, isabellas, Kikis, Limit etc..

Gaunmont, ABC, Rex etc..

Polivaults (could never spell out how to spell those shoes) cornish pasties shoes, Monkey boots, rebenas etc...

Marples, Stonehouse, fountain bar, millionaires, blue bell, mulberry tavern, etc..etc..etc.. Now I am becoming very very nostalgic!! Someone shut me up Pleeeease! :blink:

HEY are you one of my mates that used to haunt all those joints??? I remember them all and they all brought back memories of my childhood...I was a early skinhead myself..the (ska) two-tone kind not the pistols kind which came later! Madness, specials, the beat etc..

Guest Robert

I voted for the Sixties. My grand parents lived at the time on Vauxhall road Wincobank. I stayed with them every Summer for 6 weeks. The house was a back to back with the front door facing a large yard. there were 4 or 5 houses that shared the yard. I remember trips to town on the bus, passing Firth Browns and never ending rows of Steel works where my Grandfather was a crane driver and my Grandma worked in the canteen.

They used to save all their milk bottles for me to take round the corner shop where I would get a penny for each bottle. The corner shop was called May's if I remember rightly. I used to wait outside a Pub for my Grandad, he always called in on his way home. I don't recollect the name but it was on the main road at the bottom of Vauxhall road. If anyone knows of it, I would grateful if they could let me know. Happy days

I voted for the Sixties. My grand parents lived at the time on Vauxhall road Wincobank. I stayed with them every Summer for 6 weeks. The house was a back to back with the front door facing a large yard. there were 4 or 5 houses that shared the yard. I remember trips to town on the bus, passing Firth Browns and never ending rows of Steel works where my Grandfather was a crane driver and my Grandma worked in the canteen.

They used to save all their milk bottles for me to take round the corner shop where I would get a penny for each bottle. The corner shop was called May's if I remember rightly. I used to wait outside a Pub for my Grandad, he always called in on his way home. I don't recollect the name but it was on the main road at the bottom of Vauxhall road. If anyone knows of it, I would grateful if they could let me know. Happy days

Hello Robert and welcome.

Would this be the Pub that you mention 'Foundry Arms, No. 111 Barrow Road, Low Wincobank' ?

Steve.

My local shops. One was an off licence run by a very impatient old man who didn't quite understand how difficult it was how to spend your 10p! Another was run by a swedish woman called Olga I think. She once made me cry cos I forgot to say thank you and she shouted at me! :o My mum had a few words to say to her! :P

HI Ally These shops you spoke of, were they on Petre st, skeets.

Must be the fifties.

Running errands for a penny.

Taking bottles back to the shops for the deposit.

Canns record shop Dixon Lane.

Going to the local pictures twice a week.

Washing days when it was raining so the washing had to be hung like trimmings across the house.

Good home cooked food.

Playing outside from morning till night.

Two Way Family Favourites.

Billy Cotton Band Show.

Radio Luxebourg Top Twenty.

Everyone sat outside on warm summer evenings chatting.

Going across the yard to the toilet which was shared with another family.

Red rings round the tops of our legs where our wellies come to.

Playgrounds.

Proper family christmasses not a lot of money but enjoying just being together.

Taking bottles back for the deposit, now that rings a bell. At the corner beer off where I lived the boys used to

take their Tizer bottles back, get their penny then wait while the shopkeeper [Mr Murffin] went to the back yard

and put the empties in a crate. Along came their mates who then took the empties back out of the crates to take

them back into the shop for another penny.

This went on for a while until the shopkeeper cottened on to what was happening. lol

Has to be the 1970s for me.

Power cuts. candles lol

Oxford bags.

Tank tops.

Star jumpers.

Big round stitched shirt collars.

First girfriends lol

Raleigh Chopper (still have one)

Growing up in Sheffield was great in the 70s all those areas that were being cleared for demolition it was like a giant playground.

The late 70s music was also good with the mod revival, ska, two tone, house music.

Happy days.