Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?

Sheffield History

Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Which era do you have most fond Sheffield memories of ?

• 1930's
    • 1940's
    • 1950's
    • 1960's
    • 1970's
    • 1980's
    • 1990's
    • 2000's

Here we go then

Dead simple this one folks

All I want you to do is to choose which era of Sheffield's history means the most to you ?

Which holds the most memories..

This was a tough one between the sixties and seventies. went with the seventies in the end as I went from Fifteen to twenty five in that decade so more things were happening in my life.

I chose 80's as so much happened to me during those years and it formed me as a person more than any other era..

Guest codeyes

60's for me....long afternoons and evenings in the Summer holidays chilling in Hillsborough Park.......

Penguin Cafe across from park Cinema at night when I was 16/17.....Squirrel on Middlewood road and Mussoms ( the arab owned cafe on Holme Lane)...where all the bikers hung out

Guest J R Wrigley

I suppose we all vote for the time when we were kids.

I grew up in the 1930s. We hadn't much money - I suppose my father never earned more than £3.00 a week so our spending money was in short supply.

Can I have a ha'penny to spend Dad? quite often met with a no.

But all we kids were in the same boat. Our riches was a bag of marbles and a stack of comics and boys' papers for swaps.

An occasional visit to the pics (4d) supplied enough ideas for play for a week or more. Our favourites were Tarzan, George Formby - anything with adventure but no sloppy love films. Treasure Island and King Kong were talked about for weeks. We hated the "A" films because that meant asking an adult to take you in. "Will you take me in, Mister?" - usually somebody did.

I was lucky - my father had a job. A lot of children's fathers were out-of-work. No hygiene in those days. If you were sucking a boiled sweet some urchin might say "Gie us a suck, kid".

Never mind. I had some good pals on Findon Road - Wisewood Estate.

If you were sucking a boiled sweet some urchin might say "Gie us a suck, kid".

errrgghh

I hope there was no boiled sweet sharing - that would be awful..

I chose the 70's as that's where my happiest memories are from.

Here's a few...

Long hot summer of '76

Cheap bus fares 2p for kids

10p mixes

Woolley woods

Sledging down Concord Park in the winter

10p mixes - classic and you got a lot too

Where did you buy yours from mostly ?

Sheaf Markets ?

Local shops ?

10p mixes - classic and you got a lot too

Where did you buy yours from mostly ?

Sheaf Markets ?

Local shops ?

My local shops. One was an off licence run by a very impatient old man who didn't quite understand how difficult it was how to spend your 10p! Another was run by a swedish woman called Olga I think. She once made me cry cos I forgot to say thank you and she shouted at me! :o My mum had a few words to say to her! :P

I chose the 70's as that's where my happiest memories are from.

Here's a few...

Long hot summer of '76

Cheap bus fares 2p for kids

10p mixes

Woolley woods

Sledging down Concord Park in the winter

You must have grown up in the same area as me as woolley Woods and Concorde park were also haunts of my youth.

I went for the 50's although I would have liked to go for 50' and 60's, so many memories in both decades.

It was always sunny in the summer and always snowed at Christmas :)

I can remember getting a card from father Christmas being delivered on a very snowy Christmas morning, something the kids today would never be able to enjoy, it made my whole Christmas. I can't remember what toy I got that year! that would have been 1959.

Summers were spent in High Hazels or out at Fox House, we roamed for hours in a large group, something kids today can't experience either.

Marion

80's for me.

Remembering Redgates, my dad being made redundant when Hadfields closed, and also sledging down concord park - yes i'm another one who did that, and all my memories of Shiregreen Queenies chippy!!!

Defo - 1970's - seems like yesterday!

Brightside Rec, Jenkin Road

Sherbert dib dabs and those other yellow one with a liquorice

Dragged shopping to Attercliffe and Firth Park

Paddling at Rivelin

Catching the number 4 bus to town and back

Playing on Brightside Railway Station

Concord Middle School - playing football in Concord Park & sitting for rest of day covered in mud as school didin't have any showers

Playing on Wincobank Hill

Visiting My Grandad & Grandma on Shiregreen - Queenie's Chippy

Saturdays watching wrestling on TV at my aunties at Firth Park

Sundays watching the Onedin Line & Poldark (only 1 b/w telly!) at my Nans

Top of the Pops on a Thurday night- T Rex, David Bowie!

Airfix soldiers from Redgates and Commando magazines. Talking Action men.

Going on pub crawls with my grandad with a bottle of pop and a bag of crisps at every one

Beer Garden at Travellers Rest in Ecclesfield

1st Wenesday match - Ken Knighton scored 1-0 Bolton last match of season.

Sugg Sports & never having enough money to buy any decent kit.

Getting a season ticket Wenesday 4- Man Utd 4 1975. Wednesday getting relegated to 3rd Division - "Save our Owls" Silk Scarves.

Rodger Wylde. Eric Potts,Tommy Tynan , Andy McCulough, Terry Curran, Len Ashurst, Tony Toms Steve Burtenshaw.

Buying Goal maagine - then Shoot!

Moving to Ecclesfield

Vesta Chow Mein Meals from Hillards at Lane Top!

Being embarassed by me mum buying school uniform in B&C Castle House

Colley School

Wednesday beating Southend last match of season to avoid releagtion to 4th Dvision 1976?

Punk Rock/New Wave - gigs at Top Rank, Limit, City Hall. Marples & pubs on west street. Magazine, Simple Minds, The Police, The Cramps, Joy Division, The Jam, the Damned ,Buzzcocks, Caberet Voltaire, Human Leage, Comsat Angels, Clock DVA, I'm So Hollow, Stunt Kites, Echo & Bunnymen, They Must be Russians etc

Fallig in love with Blondie, Kate Bush then getting some new glasses!

Standing outside University try to get students to sign you in for gigs!

NME, Sounds, Melody Maker Virgin Records bottom of Moor, Record shop on balcony near market, Record Collector.

Moving to Firth Park

Playing Football in Firth Park/Longley Park on Sunday afternoons.

O Levels! A levels! Weekends at Thonrbridge Hall

Spending summer of 1977 reading Lord of the Rings in Firth Park

Going into the Stonehouse 1st time and trying to work out if there was a roof! Blue Bell, Pig & Whistle, Mr Kites , Hornblower Limit, Leadmill

Hanging round Fargate. hanging round Peace gardens. Going for coffee in Rackhams

Buying loads of Stuff at the best Army Surplus ever in Darnell

Working Tuesday and Thursday nights in Fine Fare Firth Park

Methodist Bookshop, Hartley Seeds, Rare & Racy, Gaumont & Anvil Cinemas.

Worst day of 1970s - 3rd May 1979!

and the best ? no question - 26th December 1979!

Guest nosy nellie

Must be the fifties.

Running errands for a penny.

Taking bottles back to the shops for the deposit.

Canns record shop Dixon Lane.

Going to the local pictures twice a week.

Washing days when it was raining so the washing had to be hung like trimmings across the house.

Good home cooked food.

Playing outside from morning till night.

Two Way Family Favourites.

Billy Cotton Band Show.

Radio Luxebourg Top Twenty.

Everyone sat outside on warm summer evenings chatting.

Going across the yard to the toilet which was shared with another family.

Red rings round the tops of our legs where our wellies come to.

Playgrounds.

Proper family christmasses not a lot of money but enjoying just being together.

Working Tuesday and Thursday nights in Fine Fare Firth Park

After just about reading a mirror image of my own life in the seventies Dunsby Owl other than the different school I wondered what years you worked a Fine Fare? I was there from 70to 72.

After just about reading a mirror image of my own life in the seventies Dunsby Owl other than the different school I wondered what years you worked a Fine Fare? I was there from 70to 72.

Spooky - in 1967 we emigrated to Canada and lived in Welland, Ontario until 1973.

It seems like yesterday - a very different world. I worked at Fine Fare - a little later about 1979-1981. I do remember one manager - was he called Carrington? !!!

Enjoy the Fall!

Guest stinsfield

Late fifties , my first coffee bar Firvale Creamery Firth Park , one of my many calls in Sheffield , red topped round tall seats , have seen post cards of Firth Park with the row of shops where it was , i cant see it any more must have long gone , happy days delivering in Sheffield . i was only 18 then 68 now , i can still remember delivering in Parsons cross and then on to Pitsmoor , then Firth Park , used to deliver to an old cinema in Duke Street ?

my first call on a Monday was Wadsley bridge WMC , does my memory serve me correctly , was Batchelors near there ?

Thank you ....a Bradford lad ...

I suppose we all vote for the time when we were kids.

I grew up in the 1930s. We hadn't much money - I suppose my father never earned more than �3.00 a week so our spending money was in short supply.

Can I have a ha'penny to spend Dad? quite often met with a no.

But all we kids were in the same boat. Our riches was a bag of marbles and a stack of comics and boys' papers for swaps.

An occasional visit to the pics (4d) supplied enough ideas for play for a week or more. Our favourites were Tarzan, George Formby - anything with adventure but no sloppy love films. Treasure Island and King Kong were talked about for weeks. We hated the "A" films because that meant asking an adult to take you in. "Will you take me in, Mister?" - usually somebody did.

I was lucky - my father had a job. A lot of children's fathers were out-of-work. No hygiene in those days. If you were sucking a boiled sweet some urchin might say "Gie us a suck, kid".

Never mind. I had some good pals on Findon Road - Wisewood Estate.

1980's, meeting my mates in the wimpy on fargate..aim for Redgates, upto Amazing Records, back down to woollies and then Markets ending up at sheaf valley baths, back to pond st gallery to the friary chippy for chips and scraps eat them up on the benches scattered near the fiesta...and still then the tramps there used to say "Gie us a suck, kid!!" <_< lol

I voted eighties..although as barry hines famously wrote "it is not a good time to be young and hopeful" (was written on a bus stop on campo lane for years) , sorry I digress...anyway was 17 in 83 ,stannington college then into the employment market which was fun.. ;-) watching wednesday week in week out,wharncliffe woods,the 57 bus, hole in the road, yorkshireman,wap,rebs...yeah eighties for me.. lol