How much do you remember of Sheffield in the 1980's?

Sheffield History

It was a period of unemployment for many following the de- industrialisation of a once great  city.

• Like 1

I was doing a lot of local history research in the Local Studies. It was a time when you could handle the documents more and there were less rules about. Photocopying machines were getting better each year and you could copy loads of stuff.  The early computers started up too. With the Amstrad Green screen and word processing software. 

Meanwhile Sheffield Council was fighting with the government for every penny it had to spend. Mrs T really had it in for Sheffield.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 01/05/2022 at 14:53, Sheffield History said:

A staunch labour council resisting a radical Conservative government . Would could possibly go wriong

I have fond memories,  largely based on my age at the time and gigs, record shops and sneaking in the odd pub. In reality, it was a hard time. Unemployment was huge and it was difficult to see how a city so rooted in steel and heavy industry could move forward. The town centre was poorly designed,  starting at Pond Street,  the route up town was either scary underpasses and passages.

Our preference was Fitzalan Square,  Esparanto Place or High Street onto Fargate. Arundel gate was a dual carriageway with a barrier to negotiate if you tried to cross at street level. People have rosy specs of the Hole in the Road,  but having being knocked out down there one night I am less sentimental. 

The Peace Gardens were run down and St Paul's parade dark and dank. Our favoured circuit was Rare n Racey, Impulse ? On Cambridge street , a record fair at Channing Hall or the Nelson Mandela building and a pint in the Foresters, Museum or Pig n Whistle. 

• Like 1