INDUSTRY ROAD DARNALL

Kim

Long shot - my paternal great grandfather, James Sidney Webster, lived at 166 Industry Road, Darnall in 1939 with his second wife Sarah Elizabeth; however, HE was not living there when SHE died in 1968. I can’t seem to locate a death record for him, but it has been suggested to me by an elderly relative, that my great grandfather was living in another area of Sheffield when he died. Is there anyone on here who may also have had relatives who lived in Industry Road and who remember the Websters and what became of them….? 🤞🏻

On 27/04/2022 at 14:39, skelton said:

What year was James Sidney Webster born?

There's a birth registered 1886, 2nd Qr in Sheffield.

Another James Sidney Webster was born in 1907, but died in 1909.

The only close candidate I can find, died in 1955, he was buried at City Road Cemetery on 29th September 1955, his age was given as 68yrs...which is about right, the 1939 Register shows him as being born in March 1888. The only possible death for him was registered in the Wortley parish. 

You could order a pdf death certificate for him from the GRO for £7, if he was still married to Sarah Elizabeth she would be named on the certificate.

On 04/05/2022 at 19:05, Hopman said:

There's a birth registered 1886, 2nd Qr in Sheffield.

Another James Sidney Webster was born in 1907, but died in 1909.

1886 - simply cannot find a death record for him, but suspect he was not living @ Industry Road after 1939 as census then has him crossed out (altho I know he was not deceased then) The other James Sidney ‘07-‘09 was his first born son. Any help in locating a death record would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

3 hours ago, Kim said:

1886 - simply cannot find a death record for him, but suspect he was not living @ Industry Road after 1939 as census then has him crossed out (altho I know he was not deceased then) The other James Sidney ‘07-‘09 was his first born son. Any help in locating a death record would be greatly appreciated, thankyou!

Kim, did you notice my post above?

On 09/05/2022 at 23:55, Sadbrewer said:

The only close candidate I can find, died in 1955, he was buried at City Road Cemetery on 29th September 1955, his age was given as 68yrs...which is about right, the 1939 Register shows him as being born in March 1888. The only possible death for him was registered in the Wortley parish. 

You could order a pdf death certificate for him from the GRO for £7, if he was still married to Sarah Elizabeth she would be named on the certificate.

Hi. Thanks so much for this - I may revisit this entry (have previously dismissed it as birth date wrong - I have copy of his birth cert from 1886 - and see if I’ve overlooked something.) Am travelling to Sheffield from Essex next week and will definitely pay a visit to City Road Cemetery as this may have some clues - process of elimination until I get the right James Sidney! Thanks again ☺️

The 1955 burial at City Road, of a James of 207 Yew Lane, has his wife Clara in the same grave, she had died in 1941 at 100 Ripon Road. They married in 1913 at Attercliffe and Clara's maiden name was Voyse.  So from the information given this is unlikely to be the relevant James, as he was married to his first wife from 1906-1922.

Hi. Yes, on reflection, I don't think this is the death record for my great grandfather. He was born in 1886 and was still living in Sheffield when he died, although it is highly likely that he was co-habiting with, rather than married to the woman who was living at the same address with him. According to my only living family relative who remembers him, said he died in a public toilet on Blackpool Promenade whilst on holiday! I can't find any evidence to corroborate this however, which only makes finding the registration of his death even more difficult!!! Thankyou for your comments though :-)

On 17/05/2022 at 21:25, Edmund said:

The 1955 burial at City Road, of a James of 207 Yew Lane, has his wife Clara in the same grave, she had died in 1941 at 100 Ripon Road. They married in 1913 at Attercliffe and Clara's maiden name was Voyse.  So from the information given this is unlikely to be the relevant James, as he was married to his first wife from 1906-1922.

On 27/04/2022 at 14:39, skelton said:

What year was James Sidney Webster born?

1921 Ripon Street

James Webster 1887? Sheffield 

Clara Webster 1891 Sheffield 

Ivy Webster 1916 Sheffield

James Thomas Webster 1914 Sheffield

Joseph Edwin Webster 1916 Sheffield

Robert Webster 1866 Sheffield

WEBSTER, JAMES  SIDNEY  mmn-HALL  

GRO Reference: 1886  J Quarter in SHEFFIELD  Volume 09C  Page 553

Hi. Thanks for this, but sadly, none of these Websters are my ancestors!!! I have already checked out these and 1000’s of others to try and find my great grandfather and so far, after 1939, his whereabouts remains a mystery…. 😔