Yesteryears Sign

tozzin

42 minutes ago, tozzin said:

This photo was taken in Eckington but with the post code of S21 I thought Id share it.

Copy of P1030174.JPG

WOW!! wonder how old the notice is! Must have been a very good reason for the notice and high penalty.

I’ve only just noticed on the left hand end the letters  LNER , was it re-appropriated and put there or was it part of LNER land.

Looking at the gates I suspect the sign was added to them long after the demise of the LNER..The nearest the LNER ran to Eckington was Renishaw.

1 minute ago, Lysanderix said:

Looking at the gates I suspect the sign was added to them. long after the demise of the LNER..The Nearest the LNER ran to Eckington was Renishaw.

I don’t know anything about railways all I do know some kind of rail track ran close to Penny Engine Lane, I’ll put the question to my nephew who’s a railway buff.

The line connected the Seldom Seen or Plumbley Colliery ( the engine house of which is listed as an ancient monument) in the Moss Valley with the old Midland Railway main line which ran much closer to Eckington than did the line which was to become the LNER. The connection was made beyond Littlemoor toward Spinkhill.

This is the reply from my nephew:

The closest former LNER line ran alongside the former Midland line that still runs through Renishaw. It's now a footpath but it started life as the Great Central route from Sheffield to Nottingham and ultimately London.

It became the LNER when all the small railway companies were grouped into four large ones in1922.

It could have come from there. That sort of notice was usually placed on gates near stations and due to its value it's a lucky survivor.

The line was closed in the early eighties but they didn't do a thorough cleanup job, it is still possible to find bits of equipment around the side of the former track.

All getting a bit worked up over this, it is most probably a repro. They are available on Ebay for about £40.

If it was real I wouldn't put it on a gate that is easily seen, proper ones go for £150+.

Nigel L

• Like 1

The line you refer to ,originally ,was that of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway which became the GCR around the time of the completion of the lines London extension.( my grandfather was a driver on the GCR) After the  post WW1 grouping it did become the LNER and ,latterly ,the Eastern Region of British Rail….although in the end the Midland Region took it over and hastened its closure.I agree there are interesting remnants of the line left if you look for them on what is now part of the coast to coast path.

Not getting worked up at all….just chatting🙂

2 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

All getting a bit worked up over this, it is most probably a repro. They are available on Ebay for about £40.

If it was real I wouldn't put it on a gate that is easily seen, proper ones go for £150+.

Nigel L

🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk

lner_ebay.jpg

51 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

I'm sure you will remember this one?

🙂

BR_toilet.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk

Oh yea! especially when your about 8yrs old, and your Mum says " You'll have to wait till the train sets off " 

Oooohhhh!! 'twas desperation time!

That sort of sign would be incorrect. Unless it was a really early type of toilet, where there was just a hole in the floor of the train. But I suspect the Victorians would have had flushing toilets on trains. Signs usually said don't FLUSH the toilet while the train is in the station! But the chances where that somebody had already done something in the loo! So you couldn't do anything anyway!!

Modern trains of course carry tanks like planes to collect sewage.

That would depend upon the amount of material deposited in the toilet.  More in the bowl would result in the same amount overflowing.  Consider the quantity that a young man flushed with ale might relieve himself of, and would you like to be underneath?

This brings back a memory from my schooldays:

"Please refrain from defaecation

While the train is in the station,

Constipation is the rule.

Please refrain from passing water

Through the window on to the porter:

Tie a reef knot in your.....".

But I digress.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

If everybody disregarded the sign could you imagine the smell that might build up at the platforms.

The station staff would soon tackle the problem. Of course they had to do it anyway. Because people either ignore signs or can't read them anyway, especially if they are drunk.

Coaches only had a limited supply of water to flush, when the tank was empty it it wouldn't produce any water to flush the loo. The tank had to be filled using a hose stuck on a pipe that was located on the end of the carriage. A few mainline stations had a tap and hose, but it wasn't often used to fix an empty tank. But the steam heating boiler of the engine. Coaches where generally taken to the carriage sidings where the rubbish was taken away inside the train and the tanks filled up.