Anyone recognise this location?

LeadFarmer

Anyone recognise this location?

This photo was posted on an 'old Sheffield' Facebook group recently (by Peter Snell), looks like a school photo judging by the school teacher motor board hat. Would love to know where it is.

The kids are holding bowls and jugs, and are the boys on the right holding some kind of PE apparatus?

Does anyone recognise the church in the background?

277818795_452740666605608_1121652698395460427_n.thumb.jpg.51d4c648feb987cb1273fe466d64f00a.jpg

• Like 1

Hi LeadFarmer. Possibly! ST JAMES CHURCH, NORTON.

Photo of children in area at rear of Norton Hall, between staff/service buildings!

I did feel it could be St James church, but I just can't seem to orientate it properly with Norton Hall, and the roof of the building doesn't seem to match with Norton Halls roof.

There person posting the photo has since suggests it's actually Whitwell Worksop, so if that's the case then I may ask for the thread to be deleted as it isn't Sheffield.

15 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

the school teacher motor board hat.

Those self-propelled hats were all the rage at the time.

14 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

I did feel it could be St James church, but I just can't seem to orientate it properly with Norton Hall, and the roof of the building doesn't seem to match with Norton Halls roof.

There person posting the photo has since suggests it's actually Whitwell Worksop, so if that's the case then I may ask for the thread to be deleted as it isn't Sheffield.

Yes! I see where they're coming from. The pinnacles on Whitwell tower appear to be more chunky though,

also, to get the photo setting with the tower on the right, and the rest of the Church going left, the photographer

would have to have been up the back left of the Church graveyard, or, be around the buildings of the Old 

Hall above. Problem with that is, there is a high stone wall, then a steep bankside down to the Church yard.

If you want to see an aerial view of the Old Hall see:- 

PICTURE THE PAST - Aerial View Old Hall and Farm, Whitwell. See what you think! Ok

12 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Yes! I see where they're coming from. The pinnacles on Whitwell tower appear to be more chunky though,

also, to get the photo setting with the tower on the right, and the rest of the Church going left, the photographer

would have to have been up the back left of the Church graveyard, or, be around the buildings of the Old 

Hall above. Problem with that is, there is a high stone wall, then a steep bankside down to the Church yard.

If you want to see an aerial view of the Old Hall see:- 

PICTURE THE PAST - Aerial View Old Hall and Farm, Whitwell. See what you think! Ok

Just found another Church fits he bill! CHURCH of ST NICHOLAS, BRADFIELD.

3 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Just found another Church fits he bill! CHURCH of ST NICHOLAS, BRADFIELD.

Mmm! maybe not! same prob as Whitwell, view on photo would have to have been from top left of grave yard!

only the farm up from there.

If it is Whitwell, I was thinking it might have been taken from down the tight hand side of this building, the roof line looks similar..

147006945_Screenshot2022-04-09at02_20_06.thumb.png.2b511117bbf77a493b7a0911e8fe9162.png

15 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

The mortar board is also accompanied with a clerical collar

This suggests a "faith school|", such as C. of E. or Roman Catholic. That might narrow it down a bit.

No idea where the picture was taken but the children appear well fed despite the fact that many are holding bowls….I wonder if this is significant?

On 09/04/2022 at 23:29, LeadFarmer said:

If it is Whitwell, I was thinking it might have been taken from down the tight hand side of this building, the roof line looks similar..

147006945_Screenshot2022-04-09at02_20_06.thumb.png.2b511117bbf77a493b7a0911e8fe9162.png

Nice one LeadFarmer! Didn't think about this house, but it makes sense, as this is THE OLD RECTORY.

If you turn full right, from where you are on the road, ( ignore modern building ) there is a small apex roof building set back! That matches the edge of the one on the RIGHT in the photo.

If you look to the near right a bit further, there is a garage door on an old stone building. This roof matches the one on the building on the LEFT in the photo.

This angle photo shot would give you the Church tower on the left, and just a glimpse of the other part of the Church building on the right through the trees.    See what you think! 

2 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Nice one LeadFarmer! Didn't think about this house, but it makes sense, as this is THE OLD RECTORY.

If you turn full right, from where you are on the road, ( ignore modern building ) there is a small apex roof building set back! That matches the edge of the one on the RIGHT in the photo.

If you look to the near right a bit further, there is a garage door on an old stone building. This roof matches the one on the building on the LEFT in the photo.

This angle photo shot would give you the Church tower on the left, and just a glimpse of the other part of the Church building on the right through the trees.    See what you think! 

Yes the roof lines and chimneys do match, and would give the view of the church tower.

8 hours ago, History dude said:

What did you use to colourise that picture? 

I subscribe to MyHeritage which is a family tree website, they have a colourising section on their website which is free to use for anyone. There are other sites on Google where you can do it too. Not sure if there is quest work involved, as there's a fair bit of purple in the photo?

When colourised it shows the kids boots looking oversized and torn.

The original poster of this photo has informed me that these are the children of the striking miners at Whitwell, near Worksop. Would that suggest they are holding pots and jugs to be given food, perhaps to take home?

13 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

The original poster of this photo has informed me that these are the children of the striking miners at Whitwell, near Worksop. Would that suggest they are holding pots and jugs to be given food, perhaps to take home?

Hi LeadFarmer. Glad you were able to contact the original guy, also that it was Whitwell. It would stand to reason for the children to be given food and drink by the local Church community. They may have taken it home for the family to share!