Cadman Street

tozzin

From the hawleysheffieldknives.com website: "Apparently, between 1850 and 1855 Eyre Ward & Co built a factory on Cadman Street (later named Sipelia Works by B. & J. Sippel) a hundred yards or so on the opposite bank of the canal to Sheaf Works." So it was built on the vacant land opposite the Canal Steel Works on southside's map.

The arch on tozzin's photo is market with a red arrow on this Google Earth view (note the wooden shed to the left of it:

60034808_SheafWorksSouthGoogle.png.38105d2b6fde02b85092686def424e0f.png

It looks like the arch is the remains of a bridge across the yard which was present in 1889:

1767186480_SheafWorksSouth1889.png.7e7e5795b229d3670b542e274331a3ad.png

So what was the bridge for?  Perhaps taking flues across the yard to the chimney? And why was the facade left when the rest of the bridge was demolished?

On 08/04/2022 at 06:54, tozzin said:

Sadly Heartshome it’s not my photo, it’s my nephew, Michael who took it, he’s passionate about the history of Sheffield and its industrial buildings, especially the oldest railway line in Britain  that ran near  what is now The Manor Estate and Manor Park, lots of it is still in situ under the road at the Manor Park end of Harborough Avenue.

Thanks for the reply about the canal works and I think it was Charles Cadman works. The squiggly beneath the date must mean something, some kind of old trademark maybe.

Hi tozzin. I have searched on everything I can about the 'squiggly', covering every possibility as to what it could be. 

The only thing I've found that's near to anything like it, is simply, an underline swirl embellishment.

I know that decorative swirls, were used quite regularly on documents underlining a signature.

Asked my cousin who's a most knowledgeable chap, if he knew what it might stand for, as he'd worked in the steel

industry and knows a fair bit of history, but he didn't recognise the mark from anywhere. So it's still a mystery, sorry!

Regards Heartshome.

7 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi tozzin. I have searched on everything I can about the 'squiggly', covering every possibility as to what it could be. 

The only thing I've found that's near to anything like it, is simply, an underline swirl embellishment.

I know that decorative swirls, were used quite regularly on documents underlining a signature.

Asked my cousin who's a most knowledgeable chap, if he knew what it might stand for, as he'd worked in the steel

industry and knows a fair bit of history, but he didn't recognise the mark from anywhere. So it's still a mystery, sorry!

Regards Heartshome.

Thanks Heartshome, it could be a reference to wire drawing or the mason was drunk !!

• Like 1