What was this bridge over the "Little Don" in Stocksbridge for ?

JS2021

3 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Glad you got an in depth reply, at least everyone has tried their best to answer your query. Looks like Edmund was right! 

Regards Heartshome

I'm still not convinced it's just a farmers crossing. Careful examination of the photos reveals long shallow embankments each side. Why would those be necessary just for farm animals ? Or such a robust structure ?

On 20/04/2022 at 21:01, JS2021 said:

I'm still not convinced it's just a farmers crossing. Careful examination of the photos reveals long shallow embankments each side. Why would those be necessary just for farm animals ? Or such a robust structure ?

I'm with you on that! the grass banks do seem narrow and steep immediately either side of the bridge. The ideas of what it was built for that have come in from everyone, are all possible! but if no one so far has come up with any other proof of the reason for the bridge, I don't know where else we could go with the enquiry. Regards Heartshome.

I was up at the Stockbridge Leisure Centre Easter Fayre yesterday and the Stockbridge Historical Society had a stall. I had a chat with them and they were pretty certain that bridge is a pipe bridge but disguised to look like a normal bridge ! The pipes run below the bridge deck and are hidden by steel plates which look like conventional rolled steel bridge beams.
Apparently somebody whose Dad worked in the pump / sluice room on the reservoir confirmed it.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JS2021 said:

I was up at the Stockbridge Leisure Centre Easter Fayre yesterday and the Stockbridge Historical Society had a stall. I had a chat with them and they were pretty certain that bridge is a pipe bridge but disguised to look like a normal bridge ! The pipes run below the bridge deck and are hidden by steel plates which look like conventional rolled steel bridge beams.
Apparently somebody whose Dad worked in the pump / sluice room on the reservoir confirmed it.

Good on you JS for asking them, always best knowledge comes from the locals. Brilliant! Heartshome.