Norton Annexe (Norton Hall in Graves Park)

fentonvillain

Is there anyone reading his who was born in Norton Annexe ? And who was born there in March 1942?  On the 17th?

If there is I'd like to apologise for waking you up when I popped out.  And if you are that boy or girl, Many Happy Returns !

On 19/03/2022 at 14:54, Lysanderix said:

Likewise ,anyone in Nether Edge Maternity on 19 March 1943.!

Happy 79th !  Hope this finds you fit and well.

My wife went there in the Norton Annexe in 1966 after having our son in Jessops, I think by then it had changed to Jessops Annexe.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 19:05, fentonvillain said:

Is there anyone reading his who was born in Norton Annexe ? And who was born there in March 1942?  On the 17th?

If there is I'd like to apologise for waking you up when I popped out.  And if you are that boy or girl, Many Happy Returns !

So you were born in the old Norton Hall Orangery fentonvillain! that's one up on me and Lysanderix. We both spent time in the Workhouse maternity ward! I was there in 1946.

After the bombing of Jessops Hospital in 1940, the Colonnade(orangery) at Norton Hall came into emergency use as a maternity unit.

Nether Edge Hospital, formally the Ecclesall Union Workhouse became a hospital in 1938.

Photographs from www.picturesheffield.com

Jessops Norton Annexe.jpg

Norton Annexe.jpg

Ecclesall Union Workhouse.jpg

Workhouse.jpg

• Like 1

My mum's Auntie Nellie Ryalls died there of pulmonary tuberculosis aged 50 in 1945. Mum remembered being taken to see her aunt in hospital three times. It was a tram ride to Meadowhead (she nearly got knocked down by a car when she went round the back of the tram).  There was then a walk across a park probably Graves Park. The whole of one wall was open to the elements, despite the snow and both patients and visitors were wrapped up well.  As well as treating TB it, had a special provision for the treatment of puerperal sepsis in an open air ward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southside said:

After the bombing of Jessops Hospital in 1940, the Colonnade(orangery) at Norton Hall came into emergency use as a maternity unit.

Thanks for that, Southside. I've often wondered which bit of the building they should put the blue plaque

on !   Bit of a downer coming home to a 2 up-2 down in Fentonville St after that !