Little Norton

LeadFarmer

I came across this postcard of Little Norton for sale on Ebay, anyone able to say exactly where this was taken please?

I can only assume it must be Little Norton Lane, maybe looking up towards Graves Park? Looks like a possible farm house at the far right and I know there did used to be a farm on that road..

1483889624_LittleNorton.jpg.6de59dc7e835a346f09c7f25e793de14.jpg

925126471_Screenshot2022-03-13at09_54_32.thumb.png.8d4de6ae22cc443064cf7c2ca17407e4.png

• Like 2

The nearest house (with the arched window in the gable) is on the site which number 57 Little Norton Lane now occupies.

The 1898 map below shows the row of four houses with trough opposite, and the further row of five houses, one larger than the rest (with three chimneys).

914143465_LittleNorton.png.ecb549c50a5afce3ee3bc236b410eaa1.png

Lovely. thank you.

The buildings (farm?) furthest away that run 90 degrees to the road aren't on the 1898 map, I wonder if they had been pulled down by then?

So a more accurate image of 'then & now' would be something like this..

49005559_LittleNorton.jpg.bfbb4923bc7a379675e6fc86ad24e8fa.jpg

954919261_Screenshot2022-03-13at15_33_47.thumb.png.785a7aa6270b1b1f7ee43da718e45184.png

Reminded me I had posted a photo of this view of little Norton Road a few years ago,

910059108_Screenshot2022-03-13at15_37_47.png.6845ba412797ff536120d470ddf7eccf.png

And looking back from further up the road..

1860393615_Screenshot2022-03-13at15_38_18.thumb.png.51aecf9b0e0ff4db896789e875119b41.png

Hi LeadFarmer. They are lovely the old photo's. Quite a few you might like to look at on PICTURE SHEFFIELD

s06289   -  a06290  -  s06389  -  s11705  -  s11706  -  s11707  -  s17630

Ok enjoy!  Heartshome     

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

Hi LeadFarmer. They are lovely the old photo's. Quite a few you might like to look at on PICTURE SHEFFIELD

s06289   -  s06290  -  s06389  -  s11705  -  s11706  -  s11707  -  s17630

Ok enjoy!  Heartshome     

They are wonderful photos, just wish more photos had been taken at the time, looked a lovely area.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

They are wonderful photos, just wish more photos had been taken at the time, looked a lovely area.

Hi LeadFarmer, another one for you.  Go To:-   Little Norton Lane imgur.com   -   there is a bit of a write-up as well. ok

17 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Hi LeadFarmer, another one for you.  Go To:-   Little Norton Lane imgur.com   -   there is a bit of a write-up as well. ok

Thanks for that, really interesting and a shame they aren't still there.

5 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thanks for that, really interesting and a shame they aren't still there.

If you're really interested in trying to find out a bit more about Little Norton. May I recommend contacting

ACTIVE 8 MAGAZINE. It goes to all residents in Sheff 8 area, and they love running 'anyone know about'

features on local history. I've sent in a couple of enquiries and got some real good info from it. Someone

in the area may have more photos! or info on the lost farm.  Worth a try! 

On 13/03/2022 at 15:40, LeadFarmer said:

Reminded me I had posted a photo of this view of little Norton Road a few years ago,

910059108_Screenshot2022-03-13at15_37_47.png.6845ba412797ff536120d470ddf7eccf.png

And looking back from further up the road..

1860393615_Screenshot2022-03-13at15_38_18.thumb.png.51aecf9b0e0ff4db896789e875119b41.png

A curious feature of the already interesting photo of Little Norton Lane with the woman and pram in the foreground is the other person at the bottom of the shot who seems to be the subject of her attention.....and contrary to what I initially thought, not a farm worker but a military sentry...with fixed bayonet and all ( I could add more comment on the detail but for now just pose the question to other members/contributors......I wonder if that unusual feature has struck anyone else?

I know the area but cannot for the life of me, guess the context in what is presumably a pre-1914 photo.

Fascinating!

The boy could be the focus of her attention.  As for the date, WWI would look possible, the girls' skirts are too high for any 19C photo and even the women's skirts look a little high for much earlier.

1 hour ago, ManoutotCity said:

A curious feature of the already interesting photo of Little Norton Lane with the woman and pram in the foreground is the other person at the bottom of the shot who seems to be the subject of her attention.....and contrary to what I initially thought, not a farm worker but a military sentry...with fixed bayonet and all ( I could add more comment on the detail but for now just pose the question to other members/contributors......I wonder if that unusual feature has struck anyone else?

I know the area but cannot for the life of me, guess the context in what is presumably a pre-1914 photo.

Fascinating!

Yes I noticed him. Initially thought it could be a WW1 soldier on leave, but why would he have a rifle?

The "A" section of the 3rd West Riding Field Ambulance Corps from Gell street held a series of week-end camps at Little Norton in May 1911, training on dealing with patients on stretchers amongst other things.  The 30 to 40 men slept in barns.  They brought an ambulance waggon and a general service waggon - is that what the sentry is looking at down the far end of the road?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

So the building at the for end of the road must be Park Farm

Little Norton.jpg

Hi LeadFarmer,   Park Farm was located just around the bend on the top side of the road, the farm was demolished in 1938, a house and two bungalow`s are built on the location of the farm. It looks as if the architect was paying homage to Park farm in the design of the two bungalow`s by giving both a gabled bay.

I`d guess that the Postcard photograph taken by Morgan & Son was from around 1902/3, and the photograph of the girl standing by the corner of the first cottage was taken the same year, she is standing at the end of the path that takes you across to Norton Lane.

Thomas Biggin was living at Park Farm in 1871, Ernest Hunstone in 1891.

Here's a couple of photographs from the Picture Sheffield Collection.  The one looking down Little Norton Lane was taken from the corner opposite Park farm, and a Google Earth photo of the bungalows, and map from the National Library of Scotland.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101600244

Park Farm.jpg

Google Earth.jpg

Little Norton Lane.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/03/2022 at 15:13, LeadFarmer said:

Yes I noticed him. Initially thought it could be a WW1 soldier on leave, but why would he have a rifle?

It's not having the rifle that is odd, it is having the bayonet fixed.  Soldiers were issued with a rifle which they retained during their service and would take on leave with them.  The sights would be set up for the particular rifleman.  They wouldn't have fixed bayonets unless it was just to impress the lad😉 or his mum😍.  To me Edmund's suggestion about the camp in 1911 looks to be the most probable.

Following up on Edmunds 1911 Camp, could what look like field huts located behind the cottages in the above photograph, be the actual camp, is the man walking up the lane dressed in military uniform?

18 minutes ago, southside said:

Following up on Edmunds 1911 Camp, could what look like field huts located behind the cottages in the above photograph, be the actual camp, is the man walking up the lane dressed in military uniform?

Good spot. I now the area had plenty of airfield/military camps in the early 1900's. Maybe he is a soldier based there?

Thanks for that information southside, and I hadn't seen that last photo before.

From the link you posted, the road and where it bends to the left is in the centre of this map which also shows the path going off to the right to Norton Lane. This path is called Serpentine Walk and is still there to this day, running behind and in-between the back gardens of houses on Norton Park View and Graves Park....

1316382146_Screenshot2022-03-16at19_52_02.thumb.png.9f045974ed0794d5d3d37b96aded093a.png

Lots of photography going on in the area, perhaps a photographer for the Independent hanging about in the lane:

414841642_RAMCCamp1911.png.ff92162302d2e3965fbab17d0da93d20.png

• Like 1

Thanks Edmund. Living in Norton I do like to see historic photos etc.

I have a letter from a WW2 German prisoner in the POW camp on Cinderhill Lane. I'll post it here for interest, and also in the hope someone might be able to translate it..

pow1.jpg.2ea477be3336cab0c5a7f5335403e152.jpg

pow2.jpg.eeae5b0b97a0443d53b5fd09703fa90d.jpg

pow3.jpg.2a334d63067fedd01254c0175b74aa6d.jpg

On 16/03/2022 at 18:06, MartinR said:

It's not having the rifle that is odd, it is having the bayonet fixed.  Soldiers were issued with a rifle which they retained during their service and would take on leave with them.  The sights would be set up for the particular rifleman.  They wouldn't have fixed bayonets unless it was just to impress the lad😉 or his mum😍.  To me Edmund's suggestion about the camp in 1911 looks to be the most probable.

I was actually referring to the very presence of a soldier there, as being ‘odd’, with or without weapons but we now know..as ‘Edmund’ has accurately recorded within these pieces, the soldier would have been a Territorial. The man certainly wouldn’t be permitted to keep a Service rifle at home! Nor would be be permitted to fix a bayonet without authority....that situation is not an occasion for a personal whim....but an official procedure .....he was clearly posted as a guard and in those days ... (even in 2022 pickets at Royal premises) ....bayonets were/are fixed to weapons.
The reason is simple, the blade was intended to make the sentry more intimidating to anyone with bad intent...otherwise the only option would  be to open fire (assuming live rounds were issued) whereas a bayonet could be used physically to deter without a high risk of fatal consequences. Moreover, that man would have been supervised in his turnout and duties by  a Guard Commander, either a Commissioned Officer or (more likely) an NCO. They may have been volunteers but like their Regular Army counterparts, TA soldiers were(and of course, still are) governed by Military Law  when mobilised/ on duty.

Absolutely agree during peacetime, keeping your rifle was only done during WWI AFAIK.  The sentry explanation now that we know about the camp makes lots of sense, the alternative (as I know from OTC camps many years ago) was pick-axe handles.  How cadets with pick-axe handles would have stopped the IRA is another issue though, fortunately Yorkshire was fairly clear of them!

LeadFarmer.    Some of the Little Norton team in this cricket match against Greenhill in 1834 are still on Little Norton Lane in 1851, including Farmer Thomas Biggin: Wheelwright Thomas Cavill: Filesmith William Shaw.

Little Norton 1834.jpg

• Like 1