Cafe on Manchester Road

togger

Good afternoon everyone,

Now, back in the 80s I used to go out with my 35mm film SLR Camera every Sunday and on the way out of Sheffield I would stop at a cafe (prefab / Caravan), type affair on Manchester road just up from the 'New Norfolk Arms' public house. I remember an older gentleman owning the cafe and I remember hiom being a really nice chap that would always have a chat with you. I am just reminiscing with my Grandchildren and wondered if anyone remembered the cafe, who the older gentleman was and when it dissapeared? I have had a look on Picture Sheffield, but coud not find an image. Map attached for guidence. image.png.d38cda99d8b7c63074d4e62beaa4c310.png

No, that's too far up. I would put it just above the text "A57" in the centre of the image. It's where the path from Wyming Brook came out on Manchester Road. Your Arrow is at Hollow Meadows.

I remember the cafe, it was in a pull-in on the right hand side (leaving Sheffield) about a third of a mile past (R)Onksley Lane, where there was a track up to Swinglee Farm.  It closed, then was burnt down.  After that the site was filled in with terracing and shiny new dry stone walling possibly belonging to a new build property (see Google photo):

259404038_SiteofcafeA57.png.93fe2b837dded240e796efffefe8a51a.png

On 15/03/2022 at 12:03, Edmund said:

I remember the cafe, it was in a pull-in on the right hand side (leaving Sheffield) about a third of a mile past (R)Onksley Lane, where there was a track up to Swinglee Farm.  It closed, then was burnt down.  After that the site was filled in with terracing and shiny new dry stone walling possibly belonging to a new build property (see Google photo):

Yes, you're right! I lived off Walkley Bank Road going towards Rivelin and went past the lay by and prefab-type cafe many times in my youth on the way out to Ladybower.  I thought it was re-developed in the 1990s, but not certain as I moved out of the area.

On 15/03/2022 at 12:03, Edmund said:

From the original post, I didn't think I knew of it - but from this pic, yes I certainly do. We used to call often but one time (after we'd eaten lunch there), I decided to stay with a second cup of coffee and paint the view - but as I I had just finished the coffee, the woman from the cafe came to clear the table and I told her I was just waiting till hubby came back from his walk. She told me the tables were only for customers (even though I told her we had eaten and this was my second coffee - she was still muttering to herself). The decision for the painting title was her fault lol - View from Grumpy's Cafe  🤣🤣🤣. Must try and find it and take a pic to post (even though total amatuer at painting lol)