Pickles

Lysanderix

As a pickle addict I remember we used to have Fowlers( trade mark Beet Awl) and Cunninghams. The latter still make Piccalilli…although no longer in Sheffield….and the enjoyable chunks of vegetables have been reduced in size….but the taste is still delicious.

I seem to remember ,some years ago ,they were connected with Henderson’s. Is that so or a figment of my imagination…and did we have other picklers?

4 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

As a pickle addict I remember we used to have Fowlers( trade mark Beet Awl) and Cunninghams. The latter still make Piccalilli…although no longer in Sheffield….and the enjoyable chunks of vegetables have been reduced in size….but the taste is still delicious.

I seem to remember ,some years ago ,they were connected with Henderson’s. Is that so or a figment of my imagination…and did we have other picklers?

Hi Lysanderix. Henderson's is still a family run business in Sheffield. They just moved to modern premises. 

Cunninghams, was taken over by Seasoners Fine Foods Ltd.  From Dec 2015  Cunningham Pickle Co Ltd,

production has been based in Middleton, Manchester.

As a boy I wasn't a fan of spicy food (though that would change later!), but I remember that ny father had a fondness for Maconochie's Pan Yan Pickle. I don't know where it was made, I suppose the name suggests that it was Scottish. Going offf at only a slight tangent, I also recall that my parents' vinegar of coice was Littlewood's Non-Brewed Condiment. After we left Sheffield and moved to Leicestershire, they couldn't find it in the shops and complained that the vinegar on sale locally (Sarson's, I think) was feeble by comparison. I have never seen Littlewood's since.

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

As a boy I wasn't a fan of spicy food (though that would change later!), but I remember that ny father had a fondness for Maconochie's Pan Yan Pickle. I don't know where it was made, I suppose the name suggests that it was Scottish. Going offf at only a slight tangent, I also recall that my parents' vinegar of coice was Littlewood's Non-Brewed Condiment. After we left Sheffield and moved to Leicestershire, they couldn't find it in the shops and complained that the vinegar on sale locally (Sarson's, I think) was feeble by comparison. I have never seen Littlewood's since.

Littlewoods were marketing their condiment in 1869.  Below is a 1959 advert, they were still using the Daily Mirror to advertise it in 1977.

Littlewoods.png.6b6f7dbcbb25a37ba01ada84384e0764.png

• Like 1

Pan Yan was my Grannies favourite. A quick Google shows it stopped being marketed in 2002 and was completely lost when the Branson factory ….who must have taken over Maconochies…was completely burnt down in 2008.

• Like 1

I wonder what the difference between their malt vinegar and their non-brewed condiment was.

Featherstone is probably best known for its rugby team; it's a bit like Port Vale in that most people have heard of it but few know where it is. I suspect it's in the Leeds area.

The wording of the advert suggests some sort of commercial tie-in with Woolworth's, but I don't think that sales were exclusive to Woolies' - my mother would never have shopped for groceries there.

1 minute ago, Lysanderix said:

Pan Yan was my Grannies favourite. A quick Google shows it stopped being marketed in 2002 and was completely lost when the Branson factory ….who must have taken over Maconochies…was completely burnt down in 2008.

A great shame

Bet it smelled lovely though.

Just to go off at a bit of a tangent, HMS Pickle was at the Battle of Trafalgar, and was the first ship to bring the news of Nelson's victory to Great Britain.

Just sayin', like.

I do like a cheese and piccalilli sandwich, I used to be able to buy just the sauce in a jar but can’t find it anywhere now.

On 09/03/2022 at 15:12, tozzin said:

I do like a cheese and piccalilli sandwich, I used to be able to buy just the sauce in a jar but can’t find it anywhere now.

Sandwich Piccalilli with finely chopped veg is perhaps the closest to being sauce only.

I do like a cheese and piccalilli sandwich

My favourite sandwich is potted meat with piccalilli, or potted meat with Hendersons which I refer to as my 'Sheffield sandwich'.

Barton's Piccalilli Sauce is listed at Asda, 60p for 185 grams. Don't know whether it's available locally but it might be worth a look.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2022 at 08:33, Edmund said:

Littlewoods were marketing their condiment in 1869.  Below is a 1959 advert, they were still using the Daily Mirror to advertise it in 1977.

Littlewoods.png.6b6f7dbcbb25a37ba01ada84384e0764.png

Hi there. Pontefract Historian lady tells me:-

" this product was part of the Littlewoods Soft Drinks Bottling Plant, which was to the right of Featherstone

Town Hall on Wakefield Road. Also, Wakefield Council have an online Old Map Section, and on the 1953/57

one it is shown as a Mineral Water Factory ".

Now we know where it was, ok Heartshome.