Sheffield History

Top Rank Sheffield.jpg

THE TOP RANK SUITE

Arundel Gate, Sheffield City Centre

STAFF

DJ'S - 'billy the whiz kid'

PICTURES

post-1-1171651757.jpgpost-1-1171657897.jpgpost-1-1171657913.jpg

We are currently looking for pictures of the club as it was then - can you help ?

post_3628_1166745484.jpg

post_3628_1166745489.jpg

post_3628_1166745502.jpg

I remember going to that Buzzcocks gig and seeing Joy Division who were brilliant. Pete Shelley paid homage to Caberet Voltaire - he was a big fan.

A couple of other gigs that stuck in my mind were Magazine (supported by a very young Simple Minds on their first tour) and the Police - both cost about £1.75!

The first time I went I made a bit a prat of myself by trying to buy some tickets in advance ar the Top Rank Bingo place round the corner!

The venue of a magnificent gig by the clash, not sure of the support act on the night though could have been the dammed or Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Top gig

Guest wisewoodowl

Does anyone remember the Improvision nights on Sundays in the late 70's / early 80's.

I saw The Jam there and remember seeing Hinkleys Heroes with Joe Cocker guesting; Joe threw up behind one of the speakers before he took the mic.

One of the most memorable Sundays was seeing a celtic / rock band, Horslips. I bought the Book of Invasions album on the strength of that gig.

Guest Nobsworth

My first "proper" gig was at the old Top Rank Suite to see Siouxsie and the Banshees think it was either 79 or 80 for about £2.75 - I was still at school at the time :o

My older brother went to the Magazine gig mentioned earlier (think it was the "Secondhand Daylight" tour) as I remember him coming back with bits of the merchandise display which ended up on his wall for a few years.

Also, in 80-81 there was that "Rock against the Rates" thing and bands played free if you had a UB40. My brother worked at the Unemployment Benefit office and got me some blank UB40 (as I was in last year of school) and a mate went to get tickets. There were bands like Damned, Higsons, Bow Wow Wow, John Peel Roadshow, Exploited, The Fall, etc. all for free in the space of about 2 weeks! Abosolutely brill! Anyone remember that?

Cheers

Nobsworth

My first "proper" gig was at the old Top Rank Suite to see Siouxsie and the Banshees think it was either 79 or 80 for about £2.75 - I was still at school at the time :o

Now I'm REALLY jealous !

What was it like

I used to be totally obsessed with that band

Also, in 80-81 there was that "Rock against the Rates" thing and bands played free if you had a UB40. My brother worked at the Unemployment Benefit office and got me some blank UB40 (as I was in last year of school) and a mate went to get tickets. There were bands like Damned, Higsons, Bow Wow Wow, John Peel Roadshow, Exploited, The Fall, etc. all for free in the space of about 2 weeks! Abosolutely brill! Anyone remember that?

Cheers

Nobsworth

Hey - don't give the wrong impression ! They were actually called "Rock ON the Rates" and I was so grateful to the Council or in truth the rate payers of Sheffield for their generosity! lol

Guest MartinC

I too was at a couple of the gigs mentioned.

I saw Siouxsie And The Banshees,around 78/79 and im sure im correct in saying The Human League was supporting them.it was the original band and i can remember a slide show,things like Stingray and other 60s stuff.

I also saw Magazine with Simple Minds,i can remember Life In A Day,Chelsea Girl and a few more.

Im glad to hear The Top Rank may be reopening as a music venue again,those punk days were simply awesome.A great venue,plenty of bars,you could go upstairs and watch the drummer playing from nearly behind him.

I can remember seeing the Clash in 77,hundreds queuing,the most unbelievable sights you've ever seen in your life.punk girls wearing bin liners and not much more.

Live the Clash were fantastic,they were out of tune,Strummer couldn't sing but it all came together in those tremendous songs.Watching them steam into my favourite Clash song 'Safe European Home' was an experience ill never forget.

I saw them 3 times at the Top Rank and once at The Lyceum.

Anybody any memories to share of those punk days?

Guest Nobsworth

Hey - don't give the wrong impression ! They were actually called "Rock ON the Rates" and I was so grateful to the Council or in truth the rate payers of Sheffield for their generosity! lol

You're absolutely right! It was a long time ago and I was quite young so I'm sure you can forgive me! lol

Guest Nobsworth

I saw Siouxsie And The Banshees,around 78/79 and im sure im correct in saying The Human League was supporting them.it was the original band and i can remember a slide show,things like Stingray and other 60s stuff.

It was Altered Images that supported the Banshees when I saw them - I may have seen them a little later than you.

I remember going to that Buzzcocks gig and seeing Joy Division who were brilliant. Pete Shelley paid homage to Caberet Voltaire - he was a big fan.

A couple of other gigs that stuck in my mnd were Magazine (supported by a very young Simple Minds on their first tour) and the Police - both cost about ?1.75!

The first time I went I made a bit a prat of myself by trying to buy some tickets in advance ar the Top Rank Bingo place round the corner!

remember seeing the police doing 3rd spot with two other bands (who I can never remember,headline band did the single off shore banking business the other I think were the comsat angels) in about '79.Also remember seeing Eddie and the hot rods who were so loud I couldn't hear properly for about 2 days after.

remember seeing the police doing 3rd spot with two other bands (who I can never remember,headline band did the single off shore banking business the other I think were the comsat angels) in about '79.Also remember seeing Eddie and the hot rods who were so loud I couldn't hear properly for about 2 days after.

I went to see the Police at Top Rank around then ( one of the support bands was defo the Cramps (and I am sure the other was an American band as well) - who were far better than the Police). Always stick in my mind as our Form teacher at School told us not to bother buying tickets as he knew Sting (they had been at teacher training college together) and would sort us tickets. Needless to say we ignored him (as did Sting). I remember the ticket was about £2.00 which was most of my pocket money for a week!

Guest Martin Dust

It was Altered Images that supported the Banshees when I saw them - I may have seen them a little later than you.

That was the second time they played on the Kaleidoscope tour, Images had just released Dead Popstars.

Guest rothertone

I also saw Magazine with Simple Minds,i can remember Life In A Day,Chelsea Girl and a few more.

Im glad to hear The Top Rank may be reopening as a music venue again,those punk days were simply awesome.A great venue,plenty of bars,you could go upstairs and watch the drummer playing from nearly behind him.

I can remember seeing the Clash in 77,hundreds queuing,the most unbelievable sights you've ever seen in your life.punk girls wearing bin liners and not much more.

Live the Clash were fantastic,they were out of tune,Strummer couldn't sing but it all came together in those tremendous songs.Watching them steam into my favourite Clash song 'Safe European Home' was an experience ill never forget.

Please email me to discuss the book I am writing. I need stories like yours of the days at the top rank(I was also a regular there)..

email me at rotherpunk@aol.com

Guest rothertone

I went to jsut about all of them..damned(lots of fighting at that one)..uk subs...comsat angels...bow wow wow(with boy george as their dancer)..new order etc..

I went to jsut about all of them..damned(lots of fighting at that one)..uk subs...comsat angels...bow wow wow(with boy george as their dancer)..new order etc..

I remember at one Damned gig there me and my mate thought it would be a good idea to get backstage (I don't know why) we sneaked through a door to the right of the stage to be met be the sight of Dave Vanian stood in a coffin. Needless to say we decided this was a bit wierd and beat a hasty retreat!

Top Rank gigs: :)

The Stranglers, Drones, 2.3 - 19.10.77

The Clash, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, The Lous - 1.11.77

Clash site

Siouxsie And The Banshees, Cabaret Voltaire, Spizz Oil - 31.10.78

The Clash, The Slits - 19.11.78

Human League, The Scars - 20.5.80

Bauhaus, St Anthony's Fire - 20.6.83

A57

Guest stevemushroom

Martin. Hello. Dont suppose you will pick this up since your posting was Jan 2008!...but I am browsing looking for "Tiny" Ian Squires..from the punk days...particularly Stranglers/Clash of late 1970s and early 1980s. YES, I have loads of Top Rank/punk memories.

Tiny,meself, Mick D, Fred, Mark from the kitchens, Squeaky al, etc...about 8 or 10 of us were taken on as "humpers" for all the Top Rank Gigs around that time. We brought in the bands amps, equipment and set up/took down stage, etc. We would usually get band freebies and an entry pass for the gig too.

I did many of the punk bands, Clash, Damned, Siouxsie supported by Altered Images, Ramones, Sham 69, Undertones, SLF, and groups like Devo, The Police, etc,etc.

Great days...great times and laughs/good friends.

I lost touch with most of them after about the mid 1980s.

Does ANYONE know, Tiny?

If so, please ask him to get in touch, via the forum...with Steve...known then as Mashy or Mushroom.

(Rocka Debs...brother).

Guest girlwhiz

Hi

Did you manage to get any pictures of top rank and in particular of DJ Billy the Whiz Kid? He was my dad and was the top rank DJ from 1965-69. We don't have any pictures of him from that time of his life but he did say he was in the Sheffield Papers. If you can help I would love to hear from you!

Best Wishes

Sam Birch

THE TOP RANK SUITE

Arundel Gate, Sheffield City Centre

STAFF

DJ'S - 'billy the whiz kid'

PICTURES

We are currently looking for pictures of the club as it was then - can you help ?

Guest hermetic

I saw Albertos Y Lost Trios Paranoias (from Manchester) at the Top Rank ,

their support band was The police!!

I still have the ticket, I will see if I can dig it out and sens a scan!

hermetic

Guest climbing nero

Please email me to discuss the book I am writing. I need stories like yours of the days at the top rank(I was also a regular there)..

email me at rotherpunk@aol.com

at the banshees gig it was alterd images supporting the human league supported the stranglers think they had won some sort of contest to do it .by the way think it was my brother that screamed get your **** out to souixsie so she stormed off , came back on swore one song later left for good . sort gig but fun. was anybody at the dammed when someone jumped off the balcony at the top rank

Guest mansellb

I used to go the top rank in the mid to late 60's - bouncing between there and the Heartbeat to dance and booze. I think that these 2 venues were the only late venues in town at that time. I saw Jimmy Saville DJ'ing there in about 1967 who said the best dancers in the country lived in Sheffield. I also saw Amen Corner and The Love affair. All ths was way before the other history in this posting