87 St Philips Road

Arif

My father was born here in 1929. Is there anyone who could give me a rough approximation as to where on the road this would be? I realise that house numbering changes over the years . Many thanks for looking at this post

12 hours ago, Arif said:

My father was born here in 1929. Is there anyone who could give me a rough approximation as to where on the road this would be? I realise that house numbering changes over the years . Many thanks for looking at this post

87 looks like the first of 3 houses between Brightmore St & Weston St running downhill.

The old St Philips Rd looked very different to what it does now since the new dual carriageway was built.

87 St Philips Rd.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

87 looks like the first of 3 houses between Brightmore St & Weston St running downhill.

The old St Philips Rd looked very different to what it does now since the new dual carriageway was built.

87 St Philips Rd.JPG

Thank you, thats excellent work!

Hi, This is a photograph of my grand father Alfred Wells and my father Alfred Edward Wells.

They had this shop at No. 2 Brightmore Street between 1902 and 1927 which is next door to No. 87 St Philips Road.

The righthand edge of the photo would be joined to the triangular plot No. 87.

I have worked out that this is now right under the tram stop on the new dual carriageway of Netherthorpe Road

Hope this is of interest

0kkREA1vRNaBUNI7IlkLCw_thumb_262.jpg.0a6b945b4b0532757991d2f7967eee8d.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Pole man said:

Hi, This is a photograph of my grand father Alfred Wells and my father Alfred Edward Wells.

They had this shop at No. 2 Brightmore Street between 1902 and 1927 which is next door to No. 87 St Philips Road.

I have worked out that this is now right under the tram stop on the new dual carriageway of Netherthorpe Road

Hope this is of interest

Wow That is absolutely amazing, what a terrific photograph that is. It's very kind of you to share this, thank you

21 hours ago, Pole man said:

Hope this is of interest

You are a lucky man. I wish I had a photo as good as that of my father and grandfather.

Thanks for showing us and treasure it for all your days.

Hello That number on St Phillips Road is now in ablock of flats.You can get an old map produced by Alan Godfrey which may show you where your relative lived.If it doesn't show the number you may be lucky and your relative may be in the index.

The map covering the area is Sheffield (west).My guess would be that no 87 would have been half way up the hill as its a long road. Don't know the road all that well.My Uncles father in law ran a corner shop and went there once,loved all the chocolates!

Hope this helps a bit

Christine

• Like 1

On 31/01/2022 at 21:31, Pole man said:

Hope this is of interest

According to this news item your father also lived there for a time.
Alfred Edward Wells.
87 St Philips Road

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 18 April 1913

Sheffield 1.JPG

• Like 1