We need to talk about Fargate

Sheffield History

Joseph Woolhouse, in his "A Description of the Town of Sheffield", written in 1832 while the cholera was raging in Sheffield, "In going up Fargate there was houses built on both sides. The Lords House stood a little on the North side of the present Norfolk Row. A very elegant old House, it was inclosed by a Wall in a half Circle and Palisaded. The present Duke of Norfolk was born in this house. This I expect is the reason why it was called the Lord's house, he being I.of the Manor".

In November 2005, the University of Sheffield´s archaeological consultancy, ARCUS, unearthed a medieval well of over three metres in depth in the sandstone bedrock beneath Carmel House on Fargate.[2] The Sheffield city centre site was being excavated as part of a redevelopment project.

Pottery found in the well suggested that it was in use by 1300 AD, and had been filled in around the time of the English Civil War. Medieval pots included jugs made in the Hallgate area of nearby Doncaster and other items from the Humber Estuary.

This discovery was said to offer significant evidence relating to the medieval town of Sheffield, still a small market town, before its growth during the subsequent Industrial Revolution. Dating of the well indicates that it was probably dug around the time of the rebuilding of Sheffield Castle in stone, in 1270, and the granting of Sheffield's Market Charter by Edward I in 1296.

Due to the conditions in the well, animal bones and plant remains (possibly including microscopic pollen grains) were preserved and analysed by the University's Department of Archaeology laboratories.

In February 2005, Sheffield City Council's Executive Director of Development and Leisure had commented, "Carmel House, at the junction of Fargate and Norfolk Row is an imposing Victorian stone fronted Grade II listed building which, together with the adjoining terrace of attractive Georgian brick properties, is almost completely empty and is in need of refurbishment. Full planning permission was granted in January 2004 for a comprehensive scheme which will involve creating four new modern retail units by demolishing the existing buildings behind the retained façade."[3]

The Council's Conservation Advisory Group "regretted that its advice regarding the development of Carmel House had not been taken into account and it wondered whether Carmel House would be liable to be removed from the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, in view of the extent of demolition which had taken place."[4]

11 hours ago, tozzin said:

Could we get back to the history aspect of Fargate and it’s surrounding areas.

We can't go back, because it was only a discussion on Fargate itself or at least a discussion on it after the modern pictures were posted. If you post modern pictures with that title, you are bound to get people talking about it's current state.

However since somebody has started talking about the past of Fargate, plus mentioned an archaeological dig, which I have never heard of before. It would be nice to see the full results of the dig.  If anyone could oblige.   

26 minutes ago, History dude said:

We can't go back, because it was only a discussion on Fargate itself or at least a discussion on it after the modern pictures were posted. If you post modern pictures with that title, you are bound to get people talking about it's current state.

However since somebody has started talking about the past of Fargate, plus mentioned an archaeological dig, which I have never heard of before. It would be nice to see the full results of the dig.  If anyone could oblige.   

I remember the dig just round the corner from a phone shop. I couldn’t believe a building was demolished.

Reffering to Tozzin, sunday 17.48

I have similar results from Streets Ahead, I complained about a broken manhole cover junction Warminster Rd. & Hemsworth Rd., that had been left unrepaired for 14 months because it was a 3rd party manhole. It was eventually filled in a month later, by Amey.

I also complained abot the iron works (grate & manhole covers) on Hemsworth Rd. & Norton Avenue which were not raised when the road was resurfaced and being left in a dangerous condition (complaint 6/5/21). The reply is below.

"Please note that we are currently engaged in an investigation regarding the resurfacing to Hemsworth Road and Norton Avenue that you state has affected the ‘Iron Works’ in the area. As we are currently unable to pin point any resurfacing works that may have resulted in this occurring, completed by Streets Ahead, can you please write to us using the communication channels below advising of the specific areas affected and an estimation of when these works were conducted, to assist in identifying the party responsible".

To date , nothing has been done, after sending a catalogue of photos showing the offending iron works.

What a pleasure to see photos of Fargate, though the ones at the beginning oif the topic hardly show it in its best light as they appear to have been taken in or after pouring rain!

I remember Cole's shop and was interested to note that the location is still referred to as "Coles' Corner". I recall that, when its redevelopment started, people were renaming it "Clore Corner" because Clore was the name of the company which was developing the site. I gather that this name hasn't stuck.

I wonder if more people would walk along Fargate if they got rid of that bagpiper.