Spurrings

huthwaite

Hi everyone, can someone tell me what spurrings were, I gather it was something to do with local council or church??

Only reference I've come across so far is that it's the act of spurring someone on. I used to have a huge old dictionary from the turn of the century. Great for obscure and outdated words. Alas, it didn't make it to Portugal. My loss.

I came across the term in the 1700's diary you listed, I cannot find anything anywhere

23rd

At church. That day there were five spurrings; Thomas Garner and Hannah Booth one. The small pox has been very mortall at Silkstone, few children escaping that had them: some families burying two in a coffin. They are begun in Dodworth, and one dead.

OK, made a little progress. It seems to be be part of the run up to a marriage ceremony. Possibly an old or local name for the calling of the Banns? Found it on a new site which has some great references in it about deaths from all causes in Sheffield.

This is the quote that points to the wedding possibility:

This intimacy on the deceased's part soon ripened into love, and was so far reciprocated by the female, that before many days had elapsed, he obtained her consent, and the spurrings were put in for their marriage.

Link to this site:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:m9PAF...t=clnk&cd=2

OK made a little progress. It seems to be be part of the run up to a marriage ceremony. Possibly an old or local name for the calling of the Banns? Found it on a new site which has some great references in it about deaths from all causes in Sheffield.

This is the quote that points to the wedding possibility:

This intimacy on the deceased’s part soon ripened into love, and was so far reciprocated by the female, that before many days had elapsed, he obtained her consent, and the ‘spurrings’ were put in for their marriage.

Link to this site:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:m9PAF...t=clnk&cd=2

Cheers Tsavo just spotted it on the death and despair post, you are just too fast for me lol