Ridgeway

LAMA

Hi

I believe my grandfather and his family lived in some old cottages in Ridgeway, either very close to where the Craft Centre is/was or could have been the buildings converted to form the Craft Centre - which I know is now closed.  Granddad was born 1887 and the family are shown as living there on the 1901 census.  Granddad was still at school on the census but I know that he became a farm labourer and worked perhaps at Fiddlers farm and Rhodes farm on High Lane before he joined the army in 1912.

I remember when the craft centre opened there were some big boards which had pictures showing the buildings as they were before the craft centre project started - presumably/hopefully the pictures were of where my grandfather and family lived.  Does anybody have any of the pictures or know or can suggest how I might get them?

I know that Ridgeway village was in Derbyshire then - may now be in Sheffield if the boundaries have moved.

Thanks

• Like 1

That's good!  Pleased to hear that.  I did hear that the craft centre was to be converted into flats - has this happened?

23 hours ago, LAMA said:

Hi

I believe my grandfather and his family lived in some old cottages in Ridgeway, either very close to where the Craft Centre is/was or could have been the buildings converted to form the Craft Centre - which I know is now closed.  Granddad was born 1887 and the family are shown as living there on the 1901 census.  Granddad was still at school on the census but I know that he became a farm labourer and worked perhaps at Fiddlers farm and Rhodes farm on High Lane before he joined the army in 1912.

I remember when the craft centre opened there were some big boards which had pictures showing the buildings as they were before the craft centre project started - presumably/hopefully the pictures were of where my grandfather and family lived.  Does anybody have any of the pictures or know or can suggest how I might get them?

I know that Ridgeway village was in Derbyshire then - may now be in Sheffield if the boundaries have moved.

Thanks

Hi LAMA, have a look on :-   PICTURE SHEFFIELD       :- Search... Ridgeway Cottage Industries

I think these buildings are what you are looking for . Ok Heartshome

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

Hi LAMA, have a look on :-   PICTURE SHEFFIELD       :- Search... Ridgeway Cottage Industries

I think these buildings are what you are looking for . Ok Heartshome

If you type in on GOOGLE search:-   IMAGES of RIDGEWAY CRAFT CENTRE -  there are some good photo's

showing more of the complex. Hope they are what you are looking for, ok Heartshome  

Hi Hartshome

Thank you so much for this, I think the row of cottages on the left of this picture is the row that my grandfather lived in as a child, with his family, around 1900. My grandfathers family lived in the one at the other end of the row I think, but this is as close as I think I’ll get. 

Very grateful.

58D12990-CF1F-4A62-A378-929EC2733E77.png

Heres a then and now I did a few years ago, my wife remembers the old farm building in their derelict state. As a child she played in there and all the floors had fallen in.  They did a great job on the conversion and the whole complex looks well now. 

IMG_20220117_111307.jpg

On 13/01/2022 at 23:47, LAMA said:

Hi Hartshome

Thank you so much for this, I think the row of cottages on the left of this picture is the row that my grandfather lived in as a child, with his family, around 1900. My grandfathers family lived in the one at the other end of the row I think, but this is as close as I think I’ll get. 

Very grateful.

58D12990-CF1F-4A62-A378-929EC2733E77.png

What a marvellous photo: no cars in sight, and the inhabitants have come out of their houses to be photographed. I wonder why. Was it a special occasion, or was the mere presence of a photographer spcial in itself?

Late 19th century?