70 Acre Hill Darnall

Yorkshirecat

I've lived in the area for 20+yrs and have walked up through High Hazels park up to 70 Acres Hill on many occasions but never noticed these stones before.

As you walk up from the woodland above the golf course and pass the pond on your right we took a right turn and at the start of the path is a metal gate (which was open). If you walk into the small field up a steep hill we encountered 3 large stones in a semi circle. The look to be there on purpose, not just some random stones on the grass. I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on them? I've enquired on the Darnall Facebook group and no one really has a clue. 

I've attached a couple of photos. The OS grid reference is SK 40216 88306

70 acre hill 2.jpg

70 acre hill.jpg

• Like 1

Have looked at the maps of that area on the Scotland map site and it appears it was nearly always part of the Tinsley Wood area most of it's life. There's some evidence of coal working quite close to it, but apart from that there is never been structures in the area to suggest anything for them. Ponds are sometimes associated with mine workings and the nearby one could be evidence of that. 

• Like 1

Really interesting! I do agree that IF they are ancient, they would be to do with the equinox

being positioned as they are. I'm sure there must be something written about them somewhere!

It's just a matter of where!