Telegram Lads

tozzin

Anyone on here that used to be or know of a telegram lad ? They were a regular sight when I was growing up taking bad news, good news, urgent news, birthday greetings and such, they seem to fizzle out in the late fifties, lots of the lads I used to know wanted to be a telegram lad when they left school just to be able to ride a motor bike such was the glamour of the job.

I still have a couple of telegrams sent to us when we married in 1964 so still around then. One of my husband's friends also used to be a telegraph boy in the 1960s

14 minutes ago, Lyn 1 said:

I still have a couple of telegrams sent to us when we married in 1964 so still around then. One of my husband's friends also used to be a telegraph boy in the 1960s

I couldn’t be sure they continued into the 1960s but you’ve verified it Lyn 1.

According to Wikipedia (so it must be right!) telegrams were still around until the service was finally discontinued in 1982, whether still delivered by messenger is not clear though.

8 hours ago, Lemmy117 said:

According to Wikipedia (so it must be right!) telegrams were still around until the service was finally discontinued in 1982, whether still delivered by messenger is not clear though.

It was the messenger lads I was recalling really not the actual service.

All I recall ,as a small child ,was the look of dread on my Mums face when the telegram boy came to the door….fearing bad news no doubt!

Agreed, but it isn't clear if they were still using messenger lads at the time the service finished.

9 hours ago, tozzin said:

It was the messenger lads I was recalling really not the actual service.

2 minutes ago, Lemmy117 said:

Agreed, but it isn't clear if they were still using messenger lads at the time the service finished.

I’m not sure they would be safe on todays roads or tolerated by some of today’s questionable drivers.

My brother was one in the late 50s

That means nearly all will be in their 80s now 

The natural progression in the PO was to start as messenger then progress to postman shortly after

I received a telegram in 1978 (maybe 1977). I was in the foyer of the Grand Theatre in Swansea, and the telegram lad came in shouting "Telegram for Derek Pattenson!"  Bit of a surprise as I was waiting to meet a friend before going in to watch a show. Turns out his train from Birmingham was late but he was able to send a telegram when changing at Bristol, to let me know. 

I'm researching the cast iron markers that identify the position of a buried cable joint. There are a number in Sheffield and probably more I've yet to find, so if anyone telegraph-interested is reading this, please do see gpo-markers.derektp.co.uk and report any not yet catalogued.   Also gathering anecdotes about the telegram service, including relating to the telegram lads, so watching this thread with interest.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Derek Tylden-Pattenson said:

I received a telegram in 1978 (maybe 1977). I was in the foyer of the Grand Theatre in Swansea, and the telegram lad came in shouting "Telegram for Derek Pattenson!"  Bit of a surprise as I was waiting to meet a friend before going in to watch a show. Turns out his train from Birmingham was late but he was able to send a telegram when changing at Bristol, to let me know. 

I'm researching the cast iron markers that identify the position of a buried cable joint. There are a number in Sheffield and probably more I've yet to find, so if anyone telegraph-interested is reading this, please do see gpo-markers.derektp.co.uk and report any not yet catalogued.   Also gathering anecdotes about the telegram service, including relating to the telegram lads, so watching this thread with interest.  Thanks!

There is an interesting cover on Westbourne Road, Glossop Road end, set in the footpath, if I still have the picture I will post it for you, I’m sure it was something to do with telephones.

D07B4729-FC80-46B3-94E0-B4E015452C9A.jpeg

• Like 1

My late Uncle Eric Stewart's first job when leaving school in what was probably 1949 was a telegram lad in the days before BSA Bantams. He rode a red sit-up-and-beg bike around the city. My outstanding memory is of him being brought home in an ambulance whilst I was visiting his parents in Manor Lane and laid down on a sofa because he had apparently fainted. I imagine that he was dehydrated or something like that. It wasn't long after that he became an apprentice carpenter at Samuel Osborn's Mushet Works before doing National Service in the RAF at Bicester and St Athan. Later he became a Depot Inspector on Sheffield Corporation Transport.   Lovely man. Much missed.