Collecting

southside

Did you collect anything as a youngster?

Finding an empty Passing Clouds cigarette packet on the bus home from Heeley Baths started off my collection of *** packets, it grew over the next couple of years, mostly from picking up empty packets on the streets, buses and trams and making swaps with my school pals. The only packet that cost me anything was a Wills Three Castles packet (swapped for a Hornby transformer)

Don't remember the name of the tobacconist on Surrey Street, but spent many a time drooling over the exotic cigarette packets on display in the shop window. Remember my mum always complaining about the smell of tobacco in my bedroom, came home from school one day to find she had thrown all my collection in the bin. 

Passing Cloud.png

Three Castles.jpg

Stamps, film star cards in bubble gums packs, marbles. Even car reg numbers and when I told my grandson the last one he was 'what would you do that for?' Easy, taught us patience as there were not that many on the roads early 1950s, no computers, no TV so we had to find something to do. Houses so small nowhere to play inside properly. 

19 hours ago, southside said:

Finding an empty Passing Clouds cigarette packet on the bus home from Heeley Baths started off my collection of *** packets, it grew over the next couple of years, mostly from picking up empty packets on the streets, buses and trams and making swaps with my school pals. The only packet that cost me anything was a Wills Three Castles packet (swapped for a Hornby transformer)

Don't remember the name of the tobacconist on Surrey Street, but spent many a time drooling over the exotic cigarette packets on display in the shop window. Remember my mum always complaining about the smell of tobacco in my bedroom, came home from school one day to find she had thrown all my collection in the bin. 

Passing Cloud.png

Three Castles.jpg

God I remember these cigarettes, passing cloud were oval unlike the normal round ones, I did smoke a couple of packets when I was an apprentice smoker. I used to buy different cigarettes from around the world from the tobacconist on the corner of West Street and Fitzwilliam Street it’s now some kind of cafe takeaway, kebabs or pizza.

AEA23A4B-B09F-48B9-A814-FBDC71C21FC0.jpeg

On 05/01/2022 at 14:01, southside said:

Passing Cloud.png

Three Castles.jpg

I used to collect *** packets as well, I lived at Stradbroke until I was 8 and always used to find them on the floor

On 05/01/2022 at 14:01, southside said:

Passing Cloud.png

Three Castles.jpg

I used to live on the Stradbroke estate as a kid and collected *** packets as well; there were always packets thrown on the ground and I built up a nice collection, which disappeared, probably when we moved house. I also collected British Butterfly cards from PG tips packets and still have the full set, which I learnt off by heart. It also kindled a lifelong love of butterflies, which I now photograph as a hobby and keep images in separate folders on my pc. 

Ciggy cards *…and stamps.😋

*mostly prewar which were swapped in the school play ground. The post WAR Turf examples…printed on the back of the packet …were no substitute.

Stamps were a passion….passed onto my son who, a few years ago, took on board my  extensive collection of British  and former colonials. 

The Brooke Bond PG Tips picture cards. We have the full book of The Saga of Ships.  You tended to get loads of the same cards and often never got the full set before thy started another series. I have an inlay card that shows what you could get.

I also remember Walls Sausages doing a set of 3D pictures of dinosaurs. We had a lot of sausages when that was on. Mum was in trouble if she brought the wrong make of sausages lol  

Brooke Bond.jpg

• Like 1

I used to love those *** cards

i wasn’t a *** smoker myself so it became a bit of a *** trying to get hold of them 😉

4 hours ago, Hopman said:

Was it Oliver?

Sylvesters, opposite the town hall, was a well known tobacconist on Surrey Street.

Saved the tokens from Robertson's Marmalade jars, to send for the collection of little GOLLY BADGES and FIGURS.

Also collected the WADE WHIMSYS animals. 

Didn’t they have a golly sticker on the top of the paper that covered the jam when you took the lid off ?

I think you got a card to stick them to then send it off with a postal order.

Brooke Bond tea were the ones I seem to remember collecting loads of and lots of different themes to keep you interested.

No coffee drinking in our house back then !!

25 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Saved the tokens from Robertson's Marmalade jars, to send for the collection of little GOLLY BADGES and FIGURS.

Also collected the WADE WHIMSYS animals. 

On 13/01/2022 at 13:10, paulhib48 said:

Brooke Bond tea were the ones I seem to remember collecting loads of and lots of different themes to keep you interested.

I remember there was "Asian Wild Life" and "Wildlife in Danger". I hope no-one has a collection of the latter to tell us which animals are now extinct.

I collected stamps when I was at junior school, but lost interest aged about 11. Strangely, my Dad then took over my collection and became quite a big-league collector of British & Empire stamps. When he passed away in 2004 I sold his collection at auction and bought a very fine antique long-case ("Grandfather") clock with the proceeds.

For a while I collected chocolate wrappers, I used to smooth them out and keep them in an old biscuit tin. As well as the usual ones like Cadbury's Dairy Milk and Fry's Five Boys I had less common ones such as Peter's Milk Chocolate, a brown wrapper if I recall. Of course I had to eat the chocolate first.

But I am amazed that no one has mentioned train-spotting: collecting the numbers of (mainly steam at that time) locomotives. When you saw one you'd neatly underline it in your Ian Allen Locospotters' book. This was known as a "cop". The key to the city was when you spotted an engine whose photo appeared in the Ian Allen book. This was known as a "picture cop"  and you drew lines around the photo. Having lots of these gained the respect and esteem of one's fellow spotters. I used to go to the Midland station, Victoria station and sometimes on a cheap day return ticket to Doncaster with my school friend. He's now a retired Crown Court judge, I'm now a retired schoolmaster, we're still best friends and we still love trains!

Just one question: why does the text print three asterisks instead of the perfectly innocent word f-a-g?

2 hours ago, paulhib48 said:

That was the point of my ‘joke’ post a few days ago .

Over the top use of a swear filter.

I suppose filters are relevant to the discussion!

But there was no hint of swearing. 

Oh, that's hilarious, To test the system, I typed in the F-word at the end of my post. When I submitted it, the software (or whatever) had altered it to "roger".🤣