Harmer Lane

Arif

I'm interested in Harmer Lane at the minute and finding information quite difficult to find. Does anyone know when the area was demolished? Any information would be gratefully received. Thank you

A name I hadn't heard for many years. My only memory of it is that it had the last request stop before my 102 'bus pulled into Pond Street. I suppose that was for the convenience of people wishing, as I did, to catch the 'buses (54, 55, 60) which started from just round the corner, opposite the Midland station, or perhaps those who were catching trains.

But I last used that request stop in the 1960s!

ion.

• Like 1

The restaurant at the junction of Harmer Lane and Pond St was a Civic Restaurant, one of several in the city built during WWII to provide cheap, nourishing meals "for the workers".  I recall going there with my mother in what would have been 1946/47 and enjoying such "treats" as brown windsor soup. Another was later to become the car tax office in Eyre St near the Graves Art Gallery and there was one at the top of Boston St/London Road.   Another was opposite the back of the City Hall in Holly Green. There must be many memories associated with these places.  I don't recall the rest of that triangle being a timber yard. I rather recall it as something of a steel works. But I can not be sure. The piece of land shown as a car park remained an unsurfaced car park for several decades. I always had the impression it was a bomb-site.  Across Pond St was another bomb-site surrounded for many years by tall hoardings. It then got swallowed up the the never ending expansion of the College of Technology/Polytechnic/Hallam University. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fentonvillain said:

The restaurant at the junction of Harmer Lane and Pond St was a Civic Restaurant, one of several in the city built during WWII to provide cheap, nourishing meals "for the workers".  I recall going there with my mother in what would have been 1946/47 and enjoying such "treats" as brown windsor soup. Another was later to become the car tax office in Eyre St near the Graves Art Gallery and there was one at the top of Boston St/London Road.   Another was opposite the back of the City Hall in Holly Green. There must be many memories associated with these places.  I don't recall the rest of that triangle being a timber yard. I rather recall it as something of a steel works. But I can not be sure. The piece of land shown as a car park remained an unsurfaced car park for several decades. I always had the impression it was a bomb-site.  Across Pond St was another bomb-site surrounded for many years by tall hoardings. It then got swallowed up the the never ending expansion of the College of Technology/Polytechnic/Hallam University. 

Great information, many thanks

• Like 1

On 09/01/2022 at 13:20, Arif said:

1926.jpg

I haven't seen a picture of the area built up to this extent. My Grandma was a Binney and said a relative ran a fish shop on either Pond Street or Harmer Lane. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 11:09, Old Sheffield said:

I haven't seen a picture of the area built up to this extent. My Grandma was a Binney and said a relative ran a fish shop on either Pond Street or Harmer Lane. 

It looks such a higgledy concentration of houses, factories and workshops. It would be fascinating to find it

On 17/01/2022 at 11:09, Old Sheffield said:

This map from 1935 shows a small amount of housing as well as the timber yards

c_1935.jpg.f60a0abc5821bd5d22f54e9f10545010.jpg

On 21/01/2022 at 13:00, madannie77 said:

That really is amazing, thank you! I could spend hours looking at these, very kind of you

• Thanks 1

The main subject of this photo is obviously the railway station, in the background though is a clear view of Newsums timber yard in Harmer Lane

Scan 2.jpeg

• Like 1

The Black 5 still looks well…fit for purpose and, somehow ,hardly dated or is that just an old steam buff remembering his youth?

14 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

The Black 5 still looks well…fit for purpose and, somehow ,hardly dated or is that just an old steam buff remembering his youth?

probably. But it probably wasn't that old at the time. When were blood-and-custard liveries phased out? About 1957? The loco was perhaps 20 years old .

3 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

But 60 years later it still looks well!😋

....and fortunately, after all that time, there are still opportunities to see members of the class looking well. I'd guess that there are more of them in captivity than any other class - maybe Austerity saddle tanks and Terriers run them close.

Edit: I was miles out. The scores, as per the internet, seem to be:

- Black Fives: 14

Terriers:           8

Austerities:    64 (though many ex-N.C.B., not B.R.)