Used Crucibles

tozzin

I do realise that the items in the photos are situated in Eckington but the street does hold a Sheffield postcode, anyway back to the plot, the crucibles that have been utilised as part of a wall after their working life in the local Iron Works had been reached, the Iron Works was partially demolished for a road scheme to go ahead. Could someone enlighten me what was the name or the owners of the Iron Works and if any photos could be found of the once local industry in its working life would be excellent, I was just visiting Eckington but what an interesting place it really is.

24401905-40A9-4760-B39C-CD1B09F70475.jpeg

479272A3-7252-49C5-A6CB-F9E2086AAD26.jpeg

• Like 1

The only iron foundry I knowof in Eckington,latterly, was known as Noel Village.  The other local one being the much larger Renishaw Iron Foundry….once a part of  BSC. I doubt either would have used crucibles since both used Kupolas for melting…but I could well be wrong.

Noel Village was demolished as part of a scheme which included erecting a new Co Op store.

The co-op was erected on the site of the works and as for the  crucibles they are more or less the same as the ones in Abbeydale industrial hamlet.

Heres a couple of photos showing used crucibles having a new lease of life by topping a wall, probably put there c100 years ago.

Smelting Pots.jpg

Smelting Pots 1.jpg

There are some of these used crucibles incorporated into a wall, at the top of Ashley Lane, Killamarsh, on the right at the top of the hill, in front of some old cottages.

I don't have a photo at the moment.

1 minute ago, Bikeman said:

There are some of these used crucibles incorporated into a wall, at the top of Ashley Lane, Killamarsh, on the right at the top of the hill, in front of some old cottages.

I don't have a photo at the moment.

Try to get a photo.

Just a thought….could they have originated from what is now Ross and Catherall of Killamarsh? They may well have used crucibles a century ago…and they are still melting exotic super alloys by modern methods.

A little more research and it would seem Killamarsh Forge did have crucible melting so I reckon that will be the source of the crucibles……the plant was eventually taken over by Ross and Catherall

Thanks Lysanderix and that's what I was going to suggest to Tozzin, as I have lived here for over 40 years and was told several years ago that they probably came from the old forge.

It's a good example of recycling, which fits in nicely with today's trend.

Here are 2 images I took today of the used crucibles in a ramshackle excuse for a wall at the top of Ashley Lane, Killamarsh (pic 3); obviously built with more luck then judgement! Still, it has lasted a long time. The other (pic 1) is incorporated in a sandstone wall, which although not facing the prevailing winds, has suffered badly from degradation. The houses look Victorian to me.

Crucible pic 1.jpg

Crucible pic 3.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely brilliant , to have lasted for a century but probably ignored today by the people passing them on an everyday basis , do they ever wonder as to why or how they were used by the hard working individuals who worked with the crucibles every day of their hard lives, it’s shows that the men who used them thought they could be used for something else so why not include them into a wall and they look the same as the ones in Eckington .

Do you mind if I take copies of your photos for my own collection ?

On 02/01/2022 at 08:54, Lysanderix said:

The only iron foundry I knowof in Eckington,latterly, was known as Noel Village.  The other local one being the much larger Renishaw Iron Foundry….once a part of  BSC. I doubt either would have used crucibles since both used Kupolas for melting…but I could well be wrong.

Noel Village was demolished as part of a scheme which included erecting a new Co Op store.

Ordnance survey map from 1900 shows an iron foundry at the junction with Stead Street. The Noel Village incarnation is on the attached picture 

Screenshot_20220103-182045_Chrome.jpg

10 minutes ago, Old Sheffield said:

Screenshot_20220103-182045_Chrome.jpg

The building that was on the Co-oP site looks by the vents on the roof had a very hot working environment, could it be the last stance of the Iron Works ? 

Though there aren't that many, I thought I'd mention the used crucibles on top of the dividing wall between the house front gardens of 7 & 9 Brinsworth Rd. Catcliffe (photo taken from Google Street View). As they're mounted between decorative concrete blocks, could they have been put there in the 1970s?:

image.png.399fe968b0fa637e12409c365c83653b.png

I do fear for these crucibles as they look as though they could be removed and broken up at anytime!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stephen G said:

Though there aren't that many, I thought I'd mention the used crucibles on top of the dividing wall between the house front gardens of 7 & 9 Brinsworth Rd. Catcliffe (photo taken from Google Street View). As they're mounted between decorative concrete blocks, could they have been put there in the 1970s?:

image.png.399fe968b0fa637e12409c365c83653b.png

I do fear for these crucibles as they look as though they could be removed and broken up at anytime!

It’s a miracle they’ve survived.