OLD CHISTMAS DECORATIONS

Heartshome

Do you remember the SUGAR MICE & CHOCOLATE TOOLS ?  Our News Agent, in about the 60s, also had CHOCOLATE UMBRELLAS

wrapped in foil with a hooked handle to hang them with. The baubles were 'real glass' that shattered if they broke, and some had

an indent on one side that was painted a different colour, and everybody seemed to have a Fairy in a white dress on the tree top. 

We made silver bells with the foil milk bottle tops, a cut was made from edge to centre and then shaped into a cone shape with cotton threaded through the centre to make a loop to hang on the tree. Our trimmings were rolls of crepe coloured paper which were twisted and hung from the ceiling by drawing pins and of course balloons.

We made trimmings from the waste coloured aluminium foil used for making milk bottle tops……the Co Op dairy on Bellhouse Road was the source!

Now look at the decorationsWe made silver bells with the foil milk bottle tops, a cut was made from edge to centre and then shaped into a cone shape with cotton threaded through the centre to make a loop to hang on the tree. Our trimmings were rolls of crepe coloured paper which were twisted and hung from the ceiling by drawing pins and of course balloons.

Now look at the decorations you can buy, costly at the least, if you could take the modern children back to our childhood they wouldn’t or couldn’t believe how we made the decorations. Keeping on the Christmas theme, has anyone any idea where I could get a sign saying “ Reindeers will be shot on my lawn “ 

😄

We still have many glass baubles on our tree. Some dating back to the 1950's perhaps earlier!  Old glass baubles are now quite valuable.  Some were that old that colour came off leaving just a see through bauble. But when I was a kid I painted them with some Airfix paint. Of course many over the years got broken by either falling off the tree or a cat attack!  We had plenty of those that had pressed in shapes on one side. But these were often so thin, they broke inside. We have lots of the smaller ones left, the bigger ones being more vulnerable to damage. Like the occasion when my cousin was sat in-front of the tree one Christmas and we were playing a new auction game called "What Am I Bid". There was a small wooden mallet in the game and the auctioneer was my cousin, so as he was saying "going, going, gone..." He lifted the mallet up and hit one of the larger baubles on the tree, which shattered all over the place!

In our family the trimmings went up 12 days before Christmas and stayed up 12 days after.  Some people don't even wait that long to take them down.

Here's a few of them!

Glass cone.JPG

Odd shaped.JPG

Open Faced.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinR said:

@Tozzin: You'll probably enjoy this video of Santa's annual check flight!

I think I would like a Gatling gun rather that a pump action shotgun.

😉😉😉😉

Thank you everyone, for your wonderful memories of our Vintage Dec's. Brings back thoughts of lovely

snowy Winter Christmas times as a child in our Cottage, I also remember making the Paper Chains, and

the smell of Bostik Glue as I stuck glitter on hand made cards for Gran & Grandad.💖  

Yes I remember the glass baubles we had on our christmas tree, they made great target pactice for my air rifle, not to mention the fairy, strange but I never shot at the chocolate tree decorations, I wonder why? 🔫

4 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Modern day recyclable & very useful tree.  

DSCI2251.jpg

So that's what happening with (my) 45 pack of toilet rolls Hermes lost in their depot recently!  And I thought Kenny (the Cushell bear) was working there!!! 

Most of our Christmas decorations perished one day in the late 1950s when our very first set of electric tree lights, purchased by Dad from a Sheffield equivalent of Del Boy, exploded and the tree went up in flames. My parents both lived into the 21st century but they never had electric tree lights again.